Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110579 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1860 on: March 25, 2010, 05:02:41 am »

Meng finally bled to death. His rest was hindered by a goblin crossbowman for well over thirty thousand times. All of those were trapped, and so I decided I would execute them. And I did. And a couple of moments after they'd died, Meng dies.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: March 25, 2010, 07:44:32 pm »

one of my human miners have died from thirst.
such a horrible blow to my multi-culture fort caused one of my kobold guards to be taken over by a force unknown and created me a wooden earring which is a sight to see since my kobolds are the butching kind.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: March 25, 2010, 07:54:46 pm »

"Flarelashes" is in its 4th year. I am building the largest external structure I have yet created - a barbican for my entrance. This was inspired by my last Goblin ambush, in which all my wonderfully intelligent marksdwarves decided to bum around drinking and sleeping rather than battling the enemy. My crypt is getting quite full of the unfortunate victims - 4 deaths from the fighting, plus 1 from a depressed individual who lost their pet dog, went insane and died from dehydration. Unfortunately, she was the wife of one of my elite wrestlers, who is now looking a tad unhappy - the beginnings of a tantrum spiral?

Seeing all this unhappiness, I have started to build a waterfall in my statue garden. A few happy thoughts would not go astray at this point in time.

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:32 pm »

It seems nobles don't care about the "dwarves stay inside" order. Or at least that's the best explanation I can find for why my dungeon master ran into a siege for no apparent reason.

Boatmurdered

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:46 pm »

Manorurn was abandoned. The choice behind this was long and difficult, but the surviving, sane dwarves from a dragon attack looked their former friends, who seemed apt to only launch into random feets of violence, and slowly realised that they were gone. The bridge being destroyed, they quietly locked the door outside, and slipped away into the night, leaving the others to destroy themselves.
I think this is where the DF-players-are-Hitler jokes go from being just jokes to still jokes but lose some of their irony.

Still. Someone has to open up a chain of McUrist's sooner or later.

Chaos341

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: March 26, 2010, 12:15:45 am »

Just started a fortress looked in the unit list saw skeletal giant eagle :o ..... i'm so screwed.

edit: oh and a zombie llama which may be the end of me  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:17:33 am by Chaos341 »

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: March 26, 2010, 03:05:33 am »

Several years into the foundation of The Blue Hills, and things are alright. The mountains are a source of minerals and gems, and caravans pick their way through the boulder-strewn paths I have laid out. The raiders are easily defeated by the militia I formed, equipped from the remains of less lucky caravan guards. Digging has begun in earnest, and soon everyone will be sleeping in proper rooms. The occasional mountain goat wanders by, but at the sight of the constructions they leave.

However, the lowlands remain completely off-limits. Barely a stone's throw from my digs, the mountains drop into a cool forest, dotted with ponds. If you looked further, you notice what looks like a cave entrance. It is no cave, but the exposed tip of an underground chasm. The forests are a deathtrap from which none return.

Packs of giant moles roam the shadows, hunting for... something. Giant scarabs trundle about on the edge of the cliffs, devouring anyone who comes too close. Giant Cave Spiders lurk, only revealing themselves to instantly capture and consume prey. Above, Giant Cave Swallows and Giant Bats circle and swoop, watching and waiting.

While the caravans are wise enough to stick to the marked mountain paths, others are not so lucky. Every so often, an opportunistic kobold or goblin unfamiliar with the area finds itself trapped in a web. Their mummified corpses dot the landscape. I pray that the beasts in the lowlands stay self-absorbed, and never look up at the mountain range that dominates the view.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1867 on: March 26, 2010, 03:48:38 am »

Today it is the 5th I am not playing DF. I feel quite content.
I am worried however if I will be able to ignore it much further.

edit:
Alas, the temptation was far too strong and shortly after this message I gave in to nostalgia that hath been lurking somewhere deep within for quite a some time now.
And downloaded 0.23.130.23a. And lost 2 fortress in a row intentionaly, just for the sake of good ol' 2D fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 03:13:36 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: March 26, 2010, 03:56:39 pm »

awesome

Do you write professionally or something?  I imagined that while reading and it looks absolutely epic and movie worthy.
---------------
Highwall News Journal  "All the granite you care about, half the microcline you don't."
23rd Slate 107 edition
Stock Prices: Socks .5  Horses 1.9 Silk 2.4

General: "Not my fault, they shoulda brought guards."
The investigation into General Ulhar's military policy's continued today, the embattled general is facing charges for not mobilizing the military during last month's caravan raid by orcs.  The raid intercepted the fortress' food supply for the next 4 months forcing everyone onto short rations.  The general's defense continues to be the fact that the caravan's guards were too far behind the caravan itself.  Placing the blame for the slaughter on the caravan guards.  The general refused to speak to us directly, but when we spoke to a soldier about... (continued page 3B)

Stone? A limited resource? One peasant says "Yes"
A local peasant by the name of Majack has recently been questioning the fortress' stone usage policy.  Claiming the catapult training is "A barbaric waste of a limited resource."  According to his research at the current rate of consumption all stone within a reasonable distance of the fortress will be mined out and used by the year 20731.  The siege operator's response to this information when asked was "What are you, an Elf?" ... (continued page 2E)

Lye Making tragedy, fey mood goes horribly wrong. 3 dead, 2 injured.

Lye maker [name redacted during investigation] failed in her lifetime creation this morning when she couldn't find any silk.  Of course the fortress has been suffering a crippling silk shortage since founding, so it was no surprise when she failed in her creation.  However in what has been called an unfortunate oversight the door to the crafts shop was not locked, and the guard posted had left for a snack when she had finally snapped.  her first victim was her own child, which according to witnessed was torn apart one limb at a time, the second victim was an unfortunate stray dog.  Fortunately Mayor Ghor was on the scene, and promptly put an end to the chaos with his trusty pick.  The tragedy only puts more pressure on General Ulhar's policies which are already ...(continued page 2A)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: March 26, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »

awesomely epic

Where I can subscribe to Highwall News Journal? ;D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: March 26, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »

awesomely epic

Ditto. That's a cool way to do updates!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:59 pm »

Hah, thank you.  I had a regular post all typed up and decided to turn it into a newspaper like thing on a whim.  I will see about doing the next ones that way as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »

This is the second most novel method I've seen of posting fortress updates. The first was a reading of letters home from the outpost. Journal entries are far too common I think. I might copy this idea.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: March 26, 2010, 07:06:59 pm »

awesomely epic

Ditto. That's a cool way to do updates!

I agree!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: March 26, 2010, 07:16:41 pm »

(I'm using the Dig Dwarfier mod, by the way.)

Peacechannels
  The name echoed in my mind as we arrived at our site. I had a strange feeling that this place would be anything but peaceful. The dwarves looked around them in silent curiosity. Wondering what this place would bring them. Wondering what their adventurous cravings would amount to. The Obsidian, Mica walls were to the south, rising higher to the mountain of medium height, in which a small figure with wings was perched.
  The dwarves watched in wonder as the figure swooped closer, proving itself to be anything but small. It was a Giant Eagle. I too was amazed, for these ferocious and noble predators were nearly honorary to see. It swooped off to the North east, to the small valley in which the walls were of white sand and a pleasant brook did a sharp right angle turn off into the distance.
  A glint caught my eye, and I turned in wonder to gaze upon the Blackmetal vein. Blackmetal, that rare metal that only appeared next to Obsidian. Blackmetal, that rare metal which made excellent weapons and carried a fair bit of wealth. I smiled, and my grin became broader when I saw the Galena cluster residing in the rock a bit away from the Blackmetal. Icing to the cupcake. Maybe that cupcake would become a cake.
  One of the dwarves turned around, and a lopsided frown appeared on his face.
"I hear water swishing..." And at that moment, I too heard the sound which was a bit below a waterfall, but quite far away. I came closer to the sound, some of the dwarves trailing me, and came closer and closer until I turned a corner, and gazed upon a small crevice. I came closer, and looked into the hole in the wall and gazed with surprise at the large lake of water underneath a dome of stone. One of the dwarves did the same as me, and we both jumped back when a humanoid snake head slid out of the water and stared at us. The dwarf that looked with me at the lake of water jumped up and pushed everyone away.
"Underground lake, snakemen, lets head along!" And so we did, until we came to another green valley filled with trees, and we decided that this was were we would settle.

We had commenced digging, and everything was going along nicely when we noticed the two obsidian domes. One to the south and to the east a tad, and one to the north and to the west a tad. They looked suspicious, as there was no ramps up the mountain on the walls circling the obsidian dome. Just cliffs. I ordered the miners to dig down into the domes, personally supervising each one. I was amazed and smiling when I saw the bubbling, hot magma pipe from the top of the ceiling, and I nearly succumbed to vertigo when I looked down into the bottomless pit that went to the bottom of the earth, maybe even further.
  I shrugged off the feeling eventually, and ordered a wall built around a medium sized yard, as I learned that Orcs resided in this land, and loved to pillage new settlements. We needed to keep our lives, and we did that with defenses.
  I remembered the various people I talked to before setting out on this journey that had said a chasm went through most of the area. I thought about it for a bit, and then ordered exploratory shafts dug near the magma pipe. I left the miners be for a bit, before the miner doing the digging rushed to my urgently.
"Gold! Lots of gold!" He seemed frenzied, and I was confused but decided to follow him anyway. We went into the exploratory shaft and I was amazed to find walls with a vibrant yellow substance glinting in them. We had came upon a gold vein. I was exhilarated with happiness. This site was truly becoming a cake. I ordered a tunnel dug around the gold, to preserve it for the future.
  I had decided to stay with the miner for a bit, and I was about to leave when I saw the miner unearth more of the precious Blackmetal. I was even happier, although not a lot, as we had plenty of visible Blackmetal clusters on the outside, but I still decided to stay with the miner for a bit longer. This proved to be a good choice, because as I was watching him carefully, he hit a wall with a strange white metal sticking out of it. I was confused at first also, before I realized it was Mithril. This place would probably bypass a cake 10 times over.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 3842