Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110808 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1845 on: March 24, 2010, 01:54:11 am »

• Angzak, appearing as a male dwarf, associated with lies and trickery

Mmm.  My suggestion, don't actually make this god one.

Let your premise remain true and known to your game world.  Every god has a temple, absolutely.  But no one can find Angzak's.  Much like the real world Thugee, the followers and worship practices are hidden in plain sight, visible (and misunderstood) only at the moments and methods of the worshiper's choosing.  It's a psychological horror, but from that comes the best form of 'Terror', 'associated with lies and trickery' that I know.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: March 24, 2010, 03:46:02 am »

Currently: Practicing design strategies for the next version to implement in the DF Masters 3: Trailblazer competition. Really liking the look of my fortress so far.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: March 24, 2010, 05:44:06 am »

I just started what may be an awesome fort. It has a 1-square underground river and pool, magma pipe and pool, medium-length chasm and a bottomless pit, plus circus tent in a fairly small area. It's on the edge of a fairly tall sort of plateau (averaging 34 levels high) with taller mountains (about 46) further in, overlooking a terrifying coniferous forest which never spawns anything more threatening than deer. The whole area is Cold, freezing from mid-autumn to mid-spring, and the forest floor is sand. Under the forest is Dolomite and Marble. The entire mountain range is Obsidian and Gabbro. There are cave spiders all over the place, Phantom Spiders in the forest, and Giant Cave Spiders hunting around the chasm.

The biggest conundrum so far is deciding how big I can make the embark site before it unreasonably impacts my FPS.

And no, no sharesies. I use a ton of self-made mods, and doing as much as changing the frequency of cave crocodiles causes it to turn into serene mountains over an untamed forest, with all the features scattered around. And so on.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: March 24, 2010, 11:12:30 am »

Currently: Practicing design strategies for the next version to implement in the DF Masters 3: Trailblazer competition. Really liking the look of my fortress so far.

Maybe I should do that, and practice getting stuff done fast, dunno.

I don't really know for sure what design strategies I should do and don't know much about design strategies anyway.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: March 24, 2010, 06:53:27 pm »

Maybe I should do that, and practice getting stuff done fast, dunno.

I don't really know for sure what design strategies I should do and don't know much about design strategies anyway.

My current designs focus on burrows and underground expansion. Also completing a megaproject in 8 years. I'm finding that I can have a relatively stable, impregnible fortress by year 3 with ~80 dwarves working various jobs, and at least 3-4 burrows in place. Admittedly I sacrifice on military, but since the military's getting overhauled it's a moot point to try to prepare for that. My current project is to get large scale pump towers constructed to bring water/magma from the lower depths.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: March 24, 2010, 07:27:59 pm »

Meng Zonotung, Trapper cancels Rest: Interrupted by Goblin Crossbowman.
x4200
And the weirdest thing is that he keeps on giving that cancellation, even thought there's no goblin in sight. I think I'll go and cheat a bit if he survives until Spring and companion him back to good health. But he's got a head, a right eye and a throat, so I don't give him a lot of time...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: March 24, 2010, 07:56:42 pm »

well I just found out what been killing my dwarfs by fire.
silly thing is it the statue I hook up near the entrance it seems that the rune of warm causes some material to heat up and burst into flames. I found this out by the second death of a groundhog it's a shame too.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:57 pm »

what's this "rune of warm" stuff I keep running across. People keep mentioning it, I know it's a mod. But what on earth is it?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: March 24, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: March 24, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »

thanks. and sorry all for the off topic.

If it helps, my fort has crashed to its doom in direct response to the end of the Nist Akath epic. When that story ended my dwarves realised they could never compete with it's majesty. Then the last trump was sounded, all doors flung open, all levers pulled, and all industry ceased. All prisoners were released, all exits wide, and all (cycling-trigger) traps left running to block them.

Then came the fires and mayhem and blood, blood, BLOOD!
"Your fortress has crumbled" ...as it should. For it was not Nist Akath.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: March 24, 2010, 09:58:59 pm »

'Paula' Zuglarust, Clothier has created Ziksisberul, a Rope Reed Thong!

I am building this woman a legendary bedroom.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: March 24, 2010, 11:47:29 pm »

Should have used leather.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: March 24, 2010, 11:56:35 pm »

Is there any babelfish-style translation of dwarf to english?
Ziksisberul - in the dwarven language file Ziksis is "split"... and I am now rather curious what that thong name means, but berul is not to be found.
[/quote]

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: March 25, 2010, 02:59:58 am »

Ziksisberul - in the dwarven language file Ziksis is "split"... and I am now rather curious what that thong name means, but berul is not to be found.

I found this under Mayday's mod.  Not sure if additional words were added in, or if you maybe just missed it or typoed? 

[T_WORD:BASTION:berul]

Split-bastion, indeed.  And, for all someone else seems fond of leather, there are various fetishy things that can be/are done with rope, including bikini-like/thong-like bondage wraps and ties.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: March 25, 2010, 03:03:10 am »

I found this under Mayday's mod.  Not sure if additional words were added in, or if you maybe just missed it or typoed? 

[T_WORD:BASTION:berul]

Split-bastion, indeed.  And, for all someone else seems fond of leather, there are various fetishy things that can be/are done with rope, including bikini-like/thong-like bondage wraps and ties.
Mayday's mod removes accents from all language files so text appears normal - otherwise you would have Mayday images appearing in names and such. This, incidentally, is why I no longer use a non-standard font.
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 [124] 125 126 ... 3842