Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110969 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1815 on: March 21, 2010, 03:46:24 pm »

Hmmmm.
Now that is interesting.
I consider meself almost veteran player, but it's the first time me seeing this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Truly, fun.

Also, what can be seen in the background is my green glass temple in the making.
Seems like we have something similar in mind altough I think yours might be a bit bigger.
I suggest magma glass furnaces for every glassmaker, but that is just my way of thinking, so, just a thought.  :)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: March 21, 2010, 05:54:35 pm »

Wow, I've never heard of that either...

In my fortress, I just got done playing with some spirits of fire. I've confirmed firsthand that high-pressure water does nothing against them, though said water plus poor planning has interesting effects on your fortress. Also, they're too smart to set off traps - would have liked some caged spirits to decorate my entryway, but oh well. Still not sure how to handle them; maybe I'll lure them into my obsidian farm somehow. Or I could try building an execution chamber near the HFS, lined with fortifications for my archers. Or maybe I'll just forget about the whole thing and let them keep their adamantine.

Also, just for the heck of it here's some shots of my fortress entrance:

Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: March 21, 2010, 05:57:33 pm »

Hmmmm.
Now that is interesting.
I consider meself almost veteran player, but it's the first time me seeing this.

Truly, fun.

That means Elves are the dominant species. Why haven't you prevented this?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

LoneJedi7

• Bay Watcher
  • The CaKE is A LIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:55 am »

That means Elves are the dominant species. Why haven't you prevented this?
ELVES THE DOMINENT SPECIES?!?  What kind of blasphemy is this?!?
ℍ!Ξ[/[Θ]![ℍ∑▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: March 22, 2010, 05:23:21 am »

Ohhh, info about age change into Age of Elves?

I had standard change into Age of Legends/Heroes, but I see that people can get worse things at their fortresses.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1820 on: March 22, 2010, 08:24:35 am »

The cause of this "problem" is most likely [SMALL] world without goblins (even Kobolds do not bother me?) I play on.

What is more interesting is that the influx of migrants is fairly unstable - did not recieve any for a starting year, which I somehow understood to be because of low arhitecture value (no stone smoothing). After that I got waves from around 10 to 30. But I there was "fortress atracts no migrants this season" message for last two seasons IIRC. Even though my current population is just below 100 and there were a mere 3 or so deaths.

I was planing to start a war against the Elves, but given the information above I am starting to get worried what will happen to Dwarfs, because their only other home is the capital, so the number of new migrants might fluctuate even more.

Maybe everything will turn out as a dorfs' last stand in this world.

Oh yeah, I lost two hunters to camels in this fort. Not giant jaguars or giant desert scorpions.
Camels.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: March 22, 2010, 09:13:37 am »

I'm starting to like these elves. They brought me a velociraptor. And I'm preparing the noble rooms. So far, I've got the mayor's, dungeon master's and hammerer's rooms up, except for all of the tombs. As we speak, the dwarves are clearing away all excess rock from those rooms, and I'm starting on the baron's, baron consort's and tax collector's rooms.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Elijah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: March 22, 2010, 09:23:07 am »

I've started in a black sand desert with relentless assaults. No trees. Ok, I'll find an underground river. Nope, acquifer. Nice acquifer flooding my fortress. Oh well, at least I was completely alone as no civilization could reach the desert.
I think that's a kind of Fun!

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #1823 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:10 am »

Currently: Exactly half of all my moodable dwarves are either Weaponsmiths or Blacksmiths. I still don't have a legendary Weaponsmith or Blacksmith.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: March 22, 2010, 10:45:44 am »

It might help you to look at the making of legendary artisans through moods as an incredibly generous boon, rather than a given right and expectation. It is less frustrating when you realize that weighting your pool the way we do is actually an exploitation of a semi-busted game mechanic.

That said: you need to increase your number of items and excavated area. I think wealth is important too, but I'm not listing that as a definite because I am too lazy to look it up. With a wealthy, productive fortress of 100 dwarves or more, you should see 2-4 artifacts per year.

Even then, the odds are not in favor of getting both a blacksmith and weaponsmith; each mood only removes one dwarf from the pool and doesn't much change (read:improve) your chances the next round if you have 100+ dwarves. Mathematical probability says that it's just about as likely that you will get 5 craftsdwarves or 3 blacksmiths in a row, given your stated proportion and a large population.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: March 22, 2010, 11:42:36 am »

Built my first Well!
after looking at the asky diagrams over and over and really struggling with how to dig out the cistern.
I waited for a pond to empty in the summer, dug a diagonal channel out of it, then straight for 3 squares, then one flight of stairs down into the rock,(the level the well room will be at. Then arround a corner to get lined up where the cistern would be, then 4 levels of single stairs down, broaden out each floor to about 4 by 8, then haul all the rock out, and smooth the bottom floor. Then I channeled out all the intermediary floors from the top down. Then climbed out the stair.
Set up the flood gate right near the top. A lever in my dinning hall. And then wired them together.
My mason, went to sleep instead of constructing it, then when he woke up he went to the river for a drink instead of constructing it. Where he walked into a Goblin ambush who chased him away from the burly guards at the gate and killed him.
So took volunteers to be the new mason. Got the job finished. And channeled 3 squares from the brook to the empty pond, filled it up..
The flicked the switch and kept it perking until the 3rd level of the cistern was 7/7 and shut it off.
As of 1 am last night, I had smoothed the well room out and it seemed to be working.
My girl friend says I am a slave to the dwarves!

I am really weak on removing levels of dirt by channeling. I had the two cave ins and one miner knocked out by the fall, but he seems fine now.

So the winter is over, I lost 3 dwarves(two to glass maker moods one to the ambush)
Survived my first ambush with the lose of my Mason and 4 war dogs. Replaced the gate war dogs already.

Next is a tower and wall around my entrance, maybe open a sky light into the statue hall that leads to my well.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #1826 on: March 22, 2010, 11:50:55 am »

It might help you to look at the making of legendary artisans through moods as an incredibly generous boon, rather than a given right and expectation. It is less frustrating when you realize that weighting your pool the way we do is actually an exploitation of a semi-busted game mechanic.
I'm not actually frustrated. If I desparately wanted a legendary blacksmith/weaponsmith, I'd train one, what with my infinite supply of metal - and moods (if the wiki is correct) only give you 20000 out of the desired 29000 experience. The many-dabbling-dwarves thing is because I'm actually not hugely interested, just looking to exploit the rules for a quick break.

Mathematical probability says that it's just about as likely that you will get 5 craftsdwarves or 3 blacksmiths in a row, given your stated proportion and a large population.
Not if I immediately, upon the ascension of a Blacksmith, train all the remaining Blacksmith designates into Weaponsmiths and/or soldiers :P

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: March 22, 2010, 12:18:00 pm »

Success! I was unable to capture the remaining elephants, but I was lucky enough to have a pregnant elephant, as I recently discovered. She just gave birth to three calves. One female and two male, which more than satisfies my needs of wanting a male. I'm going to go ahead and put every female and one male elephant on a leash, and the same for my stegosauruses. It's going to be awesome!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: March 22, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

Cat breeding for leather/meat/bones.

Oh my aching head...  :'(
[pizza=omnomnom]

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: March 22, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »

Ya, I am just starting to get a handle on the cats and dogs.
One of my immigrants brought male and female pet horses and mules. They follow him everywhere on every carry task that he gets.
And they leave little horses everywhere. No mules, which makes sense unless you had donkeys around right? Is there anyway to get rid of them without just assigning him a dig task in the  lava room and having him die?

Will cows provide more meat etc then calf's? Is it worth while to let them grow in the cage?
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 3842