Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6111122 times)

Noldor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1755 on: March 16, 2010, 07:31:06 pm »

I made an Arena on the top of a 15 layers high tower. With pitfalls and no walls. Tested with wolves ad wrestrels. Pretty awesome. ;D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: March 16, 2010, 07:38:23 pm »

What are these "wrestrels" of which you speak? They do sound awesome.

Anyway, I'm currently experimenting with Civilization Forge Unleashed. I wish I had known that Nivocite was magma-safe BEFORE I had flooded my magma channels. Now I'll never get it out. And I was paving the bottom of a brook-fed artificial pool with it...
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1757 on: March 16, 2010, 07:53:44 pm »

My dwarves just went on a batman naming spree and named 3 of them in the span of a few seconds.  I must make it my goal to catch the three and display them in the dining hall.

I thought they had to kill things to get a name...maybe they had a raid on one of the ratman ledges :).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:17:09 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: March 16, 2010, 10:23:53 pm »

They kill things in the chasm/pit.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:19 pm »

In the middle of an animalsplosion. I can't kill them as fast as they have sex, and they number more than my dwarves. Resorting to a mass caging. I sure hope they like getting crammed 50 to a cage.

The wiki offers valuable advice.

Thank you, but non-magma map.

Thankfully, my animals are all caged now, and my FPS shot up by almost ten points. I left a few free so I can procreate the extremely necessary war-dogs.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1760 on: March 17, 2010, 07:56:38 am »

Resident wild animals such as batmen will get named without even having to kill anything first.  I take it as a sign that your dwarves are bored.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: March 17, 2010, 08:24:59 am »

I lost yet another champion to falling down the waterfall while sparring. I really need to put floor grates up.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: March 17, 2010, 08:53:47 am »

My king finally calmed the hell down. He ended up killing 1 dwarf and 5 random animals before he was done tantruming. At least he 'has taken joy in slaughter recently'. I had a metalsmith get a mood and make an adamantium table, which should let me make my dining room nice. I was gonna make another one but it would have had to have been far from where I currently keep my food an would generally have been a pain. I figure they won't mind a sand meeting hall as long as it has a well and an artifact adamantium table in it. I had a orc siege come and I killed them off, lost a couple of champions. Immediately after the orcs were gone, a Dragon showed up and my axe lord carved him up.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: March 17, 2010, 10:39:22 am »

Clearing out a 'troglodyte' shelf in a chasm with two swordsdwarves.  I am just doing it as something to keep busy.  I built a bridge across the chasm with a miner, and then lured the troglodytes onto my side with my swordsdwarves, then was slaughtering them when suddenly "AN AMBUSH!  DRIVE THEM OUT!"  My swordsdwarves and two troglodytes get webbed by a hidden GCS.  An epic battle ensues where my swordsmen kill the two troglodytes, one of the swordsmen gets injured bad and passes out, and while the spider is killing him, my second swordsman kills the spider.

Three casualties so far and it's my first year.  I'm having fun.

Four. Five The other GCS killed one of my jewelers and a herbalist.  I don't know what they were doing up there.

Six, it is now.  Carpenter too.  They were apparently going for water.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:50:59 am by Gculk »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: March 17, 2010, 11:32:31 am »

So I made my Orcs lose the Trapavoid flag so I could handle them, and caught a lot in cage traps. I also built stairs down so I could harvest their bones (More than their metal, I have tons of magma and hematite on this map). I pitted like 6 at once and didn't think about it, when I get a message a peasant was unconscious. Apparently he was at the bottom of a pit grabbing a corpse when another orc fell on his head. Gave him a red head, a brown brain and popped out his left eyeball. Now he's healed up and wandering around, passing out while trying to eat. Oh, and I just got an Artifact Adamantite Spear!
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: March 17, 2010, 12:50:32 pm »

I just completed my *Mega Dining Room.*

In the pic below, you'll see several ramps. I pieced the image together from the different Z levels, and artificially coloured the tiles to show the levels. There are four eating levels. The largest (bottom) is for the common dwarves. The set of four small dining rooms is for elected nobles, the set of two larger dining rooms is for the baron/baroness and the set of other appointed nobles (hammerer, tax collector, etc...). Finally the single large dining room at the top will be for the King/Queen when they arrive. Above that is another 4 Z levels, with the pillars expanding towards the top, for a total depth of 8 Z levels.

The three rows of tables and statues are for each of the three major production sectors. The lowest is glass (green tables and chairs with clear glass statues). The middle layer is for stone (kimberlite tables and chairs with rarer stone statues). The top row is metal (solid gold tables, silver chairs, and rare metal statues).

The wells are either green glass or gold bricks, with gold buckets and silver chains. The entrance at the bottom is repeated at each higher Z level, but instead of platinum doors, there are clear glass windows, providing a view from each of the higher Z levels down into my mega dining room.

My intention is to hollow out the pillars and place all the food and booze stockpiles in them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: March 17, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »

Gonna start a new fort with my Dark Tower mod.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46407.15
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:45 pm »

I flooded my food areas with magma and told my dwarves to stay inside, just for fun. My fisherdwarf went berserk and killed a dog, a wrestler, and a bowyer, and two wrestlers rushed in, punched him in the throat, and proceeded to beat him to death as he was in the process of breaking a baby's wrist.

Edit:

also my farmer is on fire
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:32:36 pm by atomicthumbs »

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:49 pm »

Ok! Mobcity it is! Started in a great location, Bottomless pit,Chert,Mountains,Woodland and a River. Started with a Leatherworker and a shitton of leapord leather!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: March 17, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »

At Palace Blowing, my Underworld Challenge fortress (put to shame by the Undergrotto!), I finally got a caravan through, and traded 71 bins of crafts.  We were happy to see the back of those.

In anticipation of the next release, I have been planning the release of the magma to the lower levels.  I am afraid that it will evaporate, and just leave a little spill around the pipe, so a series of chambers have been built from floodgates, linking the pillars left standing together, making smaller sections of the floor, that should be fillable without too much evaporation.  They will then add to the resevoir, and when the levers are pulled, flood the next chamber.  THe floodgates and mechanisms should then be destroyed. (fingers crossed it all works).

We have nearly all the floodgates linked, and I just ordered the magma pipe breached, and the first chamber filled.  Lost two legendary miners in sacrifice, so we may be allocating less skilled workers to this in the future.  I also had to turn temperature back on, which i had forgotten I had turned off, and lost another artifact to evaporation.

There have been many sacrifices for this project, and there will be more.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 3842