Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124363 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1665 on: March 11, 2010, 01:41:37 pm »

I've finished the DNA helix mini-project and have begun digging out a 141x141x-15 cube to build a ziggurat in. Besides my 10 main miners, I enlisted 30 of my haulers (I have 100 dwarves total) into a new group as the mining corps and set the speed to 0.

The FPS is taking a HELL of a hit as I generally have it around 30-60 depending on how much traffic is going on and it's now around 1 or 2,sometimes 3, FPS, but with speed 0 its going pretty quickly. Once the mining corps guys gain more xp, it'll get faster.

Oh yea, I'll end up with 30 or so (one or two of my main miners already had a mood) potential mason mood type artifacts. It may also focus the mood RNG onto my artisans, and maybe the kids....

Maybe I should micro, as someone put it, the kids to some skill.

The DNA Helix thing is boring looking atm since its made of basalt blocks, I'll deal with it later as I've got a Big Dig to manage.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:18:30 pm by smjjames »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: March 11, 2010, 02:24:53 pm »

While trying to dump out some stone near a dangerous section of underground river (The flood meant there were many snakemen still prowling the corridor), so I was stationing some troops near on end of the river and forbidding everything on the other end.

Well, almost everything, as I found out when I saw the message, Dodok Unibetes cancels Dump Item: Interrupted by Snakeman.

Having no attributes to speak of, and still holding his no-label Stonecrafting from when he first arrived, he was predictably getting pummeled and I was about ready to write him off. Then came the announcement, Dodok Unibetes has become enraged!

Tables. Turned. He beat the snakeman into pulp without taking another injury, and then went to go rest his injuries (and his Very Unhappy status -- if it weren't for that I'd have drafted him right then and there). Once I find his room, he's getting a nice cabinet and chest.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:27:12 pm by Loyal »

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:15 pm »

just got my first dungeon master that I'm actually prepared for. the past few have come along with a population surge that included a baron and consort, hammerer, and taxmaster, and things got out of hand since I didn't have enough rooms prepared. trying to decide on a wooden megaproject to make since the area i'm on has an immense amount of forest that grows back pretty quickly. Mainly I just want to piss off the elves more than I already have by capturing/looting their merchants, making nothing but wooden crafts, and leaving 500+ wood lying around
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: March 11, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

Just had a marksdwarf with only a copper crossbow and nothing else, kill 7 rat men, break both elbows, upper arms, and skull. Then on the way back to the fort, the season changed and he insta healed all his injuries with only basic toughness.  I love you RNG!
Nom nom nom

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: March 11, 2010, 05:00:27 pm »

I love you RNG!

Save and back up, NOW. ;D

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:05 pm »

That was one short lived fort: 5 z high waterfall from a 7 tile wide minor river met a 4 tile wide minor river at the bottom of a chasm. Hilarity ensued as I watched my site begin to flood and rape my FPS. As fun as that could have been, I don't think I have the patience for it right now.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: March 11, 2010, 07:17:32 pm »

Oddom Kindlerelics, the young child who had her hands horribly by a fire imp when she was a baby, lost her mother to madness brought on by injuries sustained from that same imp, and lost her father during a cave-in, has fully recovered - before she had even grown to a full adult!  Healing through three red injuries for a dwarf without any attribute increases, let alone in just a year or two, can't be that common.
You must play until she grows up so you can make her an engraver.  Make sure she has her best masterpieces in the prison.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:56 pm »

nother titan

after a bit of savescumming i finally minimized the casualties to one donkey. and i caught the titan in a cage

that will go great next to my other titan in my dining room

thats the 3rd titan on this map so far. i killed the first one, and caught the second and this one in cage traps

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »

Spent several hours building a complicated machine to prove that pumps can overlap, and just turned it on. There's nothing like having your design work on the first try, especially when you don't even know if it's possible.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1674 on: March 12, 2010, 09:49:44 am »

Today I learned another important lesson about water pressure.

NEVER dig directly under the ocean.

Unless you want to flood 2+ z-layers in less then a SECOND.

That is all.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:48 am »

mayor just mandated 2 clear glass items on a map with no sand... I locked him in my elf trap and he's not coming out until he decides to change his mind (unlikely) or he goes berserk and/or dies. if he goes berserk he will undoubtably end up in one of the cage traps designed to capture elfs as pets.... hey! I just had an idea. I'm gonna add [Common domestic] and [trainable] to the elf raws so I can embark with my very own war elfs! hurray for the dwarven subjugation of elves!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: March 12, 2010, 10:37:21 am »

Today I learned another important lesson about water pressure.

NEVER dig directly under the ocean.

Unless you want to flood 2+ z-layers in less then a SECOND.

That is all.

I tried that once with a bigger fort and while it took more than a second due to it causing lag (and caveins from hitting the open magma pipe and trying to reach equilibrium), but it rushed through any open doors before anybody had a chance to close it.

Lukas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: March 12, 2010, 11:26:08 am »

after my most recent fort failed after a titan + goblin siege event (which happened at the same time), i want to embark on a new fort with an underground river. My goal is to build up a small but functional fort on one layer, then dig down to the river. My military will hopefully take care of any creatures while I get a tree farm started down there. Once this has happened, and I know I can get a stable food supply, I want to move all my dwarves down there and seal them in while they gain a huge amount of wealth (and build a huge fort as well). Eventually I may go back to the surface, but I have to see how this little experiment will go.

the main problem is what to do with immigrants. i may leave behind an atom smasher, or just have them reinhabit the upper fort, and train a military.
my other fear is that the underground creatures will overwhelm my fort and my dwarves will have done nothing more than build their own tomb (since i dont know much about underground rivers).

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1678 on: March 12, 2010, 12:00:09 pm »

I do not have much experience with nowadays underground river, but I think it should not pose much problems for a champion or 10. In a full plate armour and swinging ye olde war hammers. I once lost a fort because I hit UR with my starting 7 dwarfes, but yeah, not worse than HFS.
I did heard much horror stories about cave crocodiles thou.

As for migrants - leave them be. If you will wall yourself in, don't bother, for goblins will take care of them eventualy.

I tried that once with a bigger fort and while it took more than a second due to it causing lag (and caveins from hitting the open magma pipe and trying to reach equilibrium), but it rushed through any open doors before anybody had a chance to close it.
Yes, it is definitely fun.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: March 12, 2010, 12:58:51 pm »

something weird just happened... I wanted to test if I could put two goblins (captured siegers) in the same cage, so I set up a safe area to do it patrolled by several champion wrestlers, and built the two cages containing said goblins next to each other. They were a highwood cage containing Song Gosmabosa and a pine cage containing Ngebzo Ngokanguxum respectively, this is important later... I assigned ngebzo to Song's cage and an idle job came and did the job and then left...or so I thought. I then checked the highwood cage and found it still only contained Song, and that the Ngebzo had not escaped; there was no spam about anyone being interrupted by a goblin, and he was nowhere to be seen. I looked around, checked the units list and zoomed to him. I found him in my animal stockpile in a highwood cage... Confused, I assumed there had been some sort of mixup and built that cage next to Songs and intiated the transfer again. This time, he actually made it into Song's cage, but there was an extra pine cage pulled out afterwards. Is this a known bug, or did I just discover dwarven quantum cage mechanics?

Either way, I am now testing to see if it repeats and to see how many of my captured siegers I can get in one cage.

Edit; I've done a little science. 

As near as I can tell, if you have a cage with a goblin already in it (may be true for other invaders/animals, haven't done animal testing yet) and add a goblin from an adjacent cage(haven't tested diagonals) unless there are multiple goblins in the adjacent cage an additional cage will be brought by a hauler. What appears to happen is that the adjacent goblin is put into the hauled cage, and then the cage is either emptied into the target cage, or another hauler gets to it first and drags it to a stock pile. The latter occasionally leads to the alarming sight of a hauler dragging an uncaged goblin from the stockpile to the target cage, but fortunately in all instances so far the goblin just kind of goes with it and doesn't try to escape/kill anyone. as near as I can tell cages aren't actually created and are instead hauled, but since I have a large number of cages it's hard to tell.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:51:49 pm by silverskull39 »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 3842