Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972580 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1410 on: February 19, 2010, 09:00:27 pm »

Sweet! I modded the GCSes to breed and only mow have gotten this message:

Stray Giant Cave Spider (Tame) has given birth to giant cave spiderlings (basically that was the name I gave for GCS young)
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Legendary_Catsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 19, 2010, 09:26:06 pm »

Grats on your terrible, 8-eyed freak babies!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: February 19, 2010, 10:44:45 pm »

The third orc siege came, sealing me in with a halfling trade caravan and the dwarf liaison. The liaison has sense gone berserk, unfortunately, so no trade agreements, but I planned on digging into the [REDACTED] soon anyways. Meanwhile, inside my fort things are coming along nicely. The tower cap farm is fully muddied and drained, 3500 square urists of space are now full of mud, plants, and shrooms. I have four farms up inside as well, with all dwarven crops except quarry bushes. I don't do the 5x foods, they make ungodly huge stacks of food that feel exploit-ish to me. Unfortunately, there's still a huge amount of stone, so I'm dumping that into the river's waterfall.

Food is no problem. My cage traps have brought me 7 two-humped camels. That's a total of 42 food, plus their calves which are popping out at an alarming rate. Since I bought all the booze from the last dwarf caravan and bought and brewed all the plump helmets I have enough booze to last me, and if I need more I can start training a herbalist on the muddy shrubs. Between the camels, pigs, and dogs I have plenty of meat, and the plump helmets and pig tails are already coming up. I love it when a solution comes together. Now I just have to worry about the halflings going berserk, I really don't want to have to face them down with just 4 legendary wrestlers. Could be ugly.

Edit: Now I feel really bad. The first halfling caravan has gone melancholy. If the orcs hadn't sent five squads (I don't even have five soldiers) I'd have let them out. At least they aren't berserk.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 10:50:22 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: February 20, 2010, 04:00:38 am »

My Mason got a mood and shot straight up to Legendary Mason for making...a Bauxite Grate, with menacing mule leather spikes (which I slaughtered a mule for, obviously). On the upside, he has stupidly high skill now.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: February 20, 2010, 06:06:19 am »

Obsidian Floodgate destroyed by Thicivi Eraciwa Ciriko Fifema, Hydra.
Thicivi Eraciwa Ciriko Fifema, Hydra, has drowned.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: February 20, 2010, 07:21:19 am »

Second hydra came to visit and it also cleverly avoided my traps and didn't get a nice pet hydra for my pit arena. If only I could hang or put their skulls to display at my soon to be finished green glass royal throne room. Also my spare workforce started hauling ~6000 stones towards that bottomless pit over there.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #1416 on: February 20, 2010, 07:33:18 am »

My Duke loves querns. I mean, LOVES them. He keeps mandating me to make more of them. I'm practically swimming in querns.

One of my masons just mooded up an artifact quern. I'm going to put it in the Duke's room, maybe he'll have a querngasm.
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: February 20, 2010, 11:31:05 am »

Started a new fort with the Orc Mod. Silly me forgot to bring lumber, but my dwarves don't seem to mind sharing 3 beds in the barracks I made. I'm running out of barrels but I have fresh water connected to the fort so its OK. So far I took a little hill, removed the ramps, and am making a little barracks on it. There is a bridge that connects to another isolated hill with the trade depot and another bridge to the rest of the world. This way I can have the Depot be accessible but seal off my fort. When traders are in the Depot I can lower the bridge to the rest of the world but put up the bridge to my fort.
The one cool thing that happened was a batman flew into the fort(I didn't notice as I was running DF in the background). I noticed because I saw body parts everywhere. My miner absolutely demolished him: The left arm is on top of the fort, the corpse, right upper arm and the right lower arm are 2z levels down in the fort, and the left upper leg is 3 z levels down in my water supply.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:32:46 am by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: February 20, 2010, 11:46:44 am »

DF, the only game where somebody could say "The Batman's leg is in my water supply" without drawing odd looks.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #1419 on: February 20, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »

My first ever batch-o-nobles just arrived. Fortunately I never got around to making a sheriff, so the justice system hasn't started yet, and the hammerer is just another useless putz as opposed to a deadly deliverer of dwarven death.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: February 20, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

Broke a goblin siege (yes siege, not an ambush) for the first time using only a ballista.

The ballista was placed there because I had a nice perfectly shaped 3x3 outcrop of rock that just screamed at how awesome it would be for a siege engine. It fit right into my fortress walls but because I built it into the rock the siege engine still counted as underground.  I just figured to put it there because it looked nice and would actually have a chance of being used, unlike most of the ballistas I place which end up aboveground and useless for anything but decoration.

Whaddaya know it gets used.  The fortress is inside a canyon. Forcing all invaders to take one path to my fortress.  It's a natural canyon though, so it is still fairly wide.  A vile force of darkness has arrived.  Crossbows to the walls, still unarmed military behind them and my one siege operator goes to the ballista.

Goblins enter the canyon and the engine fires. Wide right, hits the canyon wall before it even gets anywhere near the goblins, but the ballista bolts are stored only a few spaces from the engine and the engineer quickly loads another and fires.  Wide left.

So I thought.  Immediately after the bolt is fired the goblins adjust their course to line up more directly to the fortress's main entrance. Moving to the left...

The carnage... the bolt slices through the main body of the goblin squad, I see body parts go flying. One goblin is propelled away ahead of the bolt and there's now a big red smear where the center of the goblin line used to be.  The siege indicator disappears and they run for their lives. 7 goblins are slaughtered in one wooden ballista bolt.  That's a first for me, I always considered the things too unreliable to be used in anything but extravagant mega-traps.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: February 20, 2010, 06:07:42 pm »

So I recently dug up the savefiles for a fort I had been playing with a year or two back but put aside.  I actually had to revert to one of the seasonal backups, couldn't find the latest save, but that's just as well as I had been running into some troubles (which I vaguely recall) and have been pre-emptively resolving them.

Basic situation is as follows.  Fortress name is Nariden (Rawpaddles).  It's the fifth year of the fort.  The map is a full size one, 16x16. (FPS right now, with 120ish dwarves, tends to be about 15-20, 40 when paused.  It's a bit slow but playable.)  There's a mountain spur jutting in from the west, falling to a saddle then rising to a peak about 3/4 of the way to the east side of the map; the fort is dug into the south side of this ridge.  There's a brook originating in the southwest and running eastward, with forested hills on the south side of the brook, and the lower slopes of the mountain to the north and east are also nicely forested.  Plenty of wildlife - deer, marmots, cougars, grizzly bears (including one that earned a name before dying), raccoons, although I haven't started training any hunters (that's in store for later).  There is an underground lake near the center of the map that one of my exploratory tunnels ran into (top level luckily, so no flood), with quite a few frogmen and lizardmen and olmmen.  Also, there is a chasm somewhere in the map, but it is completely covered over by the mountain - I am going to have to find it by digging.  I keep seeing messages about Giant Bats and Giant Cave Swallows having kids, and seeing dead ratmen and cave swallowmen showing up on the units list, so there might be quite a population in there by the time I find it.  An underground war with the chasm peoples sounds fun.  Pretty sure there's no magma, aside from whatever HFS might have.

The basic fort layout is roughly a cube in the center of the map, centered at about the level of the brook, with 3x3 stairs marking the vertical axes and 3x3 hallways lining the edges on most levels.  The main level is the great hall, which is a 3-level open dome supported by pillars, 95 wide at the lowest level.  Five years in and this isn't _quite_ done yet; the miners and engravers keep being needed for more pressing business.  Below that are 4 levels of storage rooms with a level of workshops between the 2nd and 3rd; above it are the dwarven quarters.  Lowest and topmost level are the waterworks; a series of tunnels made to channel water all around the uppermost level of the fort and drop it wherever needed (for example I have six floodable/drainable holding tanks/swimming pools/farmable surfaces), collecting it down at the bottom and pumping it back up to the underground lake (which I'm using as a reservoir)  This is still not really functional due to the large amount of stone-smoothing and pressure-plate installation and plate-to-floodgate connections and pumps I'm having to build - the plan is to have a system that is mostly automatic in moving water from place to place and never letting it get deep enough to overflow anywhere.  The water will be under pressure everywhere, because things are more fun that way.

For a long time the only direct connection between the fort and the outside was the main gate, which goes through a bow-shaped floodable drowning chamber, past the depot room, across drawbridges over a deep pit, and past various siege weapon and marksdwarf setups.  (These fortifications aren't complete yet but they haven't been really needed yet)  There's also a set of floodgates I can seal off the entrance with (which, being left open, I actually completely forgot I had installed until I found a lever and couldn't figure out what it did - I avoid putting notes on my levers because things are more fun that way; I color-code them instead) but I plan on using those only in cases of real emergency.  I realized a while ago there wasn't enough water in the underground lake to fill all my waterworks systems so just recently finished a second tunnel, tapping the brook - coming out underneath it in winter while it's frozen, so I've channeled out the staircases and am installing hatchways and floodgates and will be ready in time for spring to let in the water in a controlled fashion. 

The thing about this fort I really did wrong was the farming.  Early on I had a couple burrows dug into an earthen hillside while doing initial training and workshopping and excavating the entrance halls.  Once the goblin ambushes started happening, I knew I had to move underground for good, but without water to irrigate ... thing is, I knew pretty much what I wanted in terms of the waterworks system from the start, but I made the mistake of trying to do the whole thing all at once, rather that figuring out how to do it piece by piece.  So it's taken years, and I had no way of getting mud onto the room I wanted to farm.  So I literally set up a bucket brigade, ferrying water from the brook to deep underground.  Took ages, and it got to the point where it was evaporating as fast as they were adding water so I never did get the last 4 or so tiles muddy, but the resulting field (with a dedicated cook, brewer, and thresher) has kept the whole fort fed ever since; the hillside burrows and their fields have been abandoned for years.

The big map is nice.  For one thing it gives me plenty of warning when seiges arrive; I can engage in some decent tactics, moving squads from one part of the map to another and defeating the gobbos in detail rather than having to panic as they all converge on the gate - the latest seige, this past summer, showed up right after the human caravan arrived.  I thought at first the humans were going to get massacred, but no; the axegobbo and troll squads got intercepted in the hills and torn to pieces, the macegobbo squad reached my gate at the same time as the humans, and we had a nice little pincer movement between my guys and the caravan guards.  At that point, the third gobbo squad - crossbows - was just getting down below the treeline after crossing the mountain.  They decided to go away instead of finishing the visit, which as they were crossbows, I didn't mind.  Sometimes I have problems with ambushes but I have some strategically placed traps on the mountainside that tend to catch them while they're sneaking around - it's not uncommon for the traps alone to rout them.  I've never had more than a dozen or so dwarves under arms but it's been enough.  Actually, speaking of dwarves under arms, I should mention the thing that made me invest time into this fort into the first place: my very first artifact was an iron spear - "Ensebotik, the Basic Sheen".  Later I got an artifact platinum spear also ("Ringeddashed the Silvery Armory"), which being studded with all sorts of gemstones and worth 165600 keeps showing up in all the artwork and engravings, but iron is a proper metal for weapons ...  I just finally got a dwarf trained up to Spearmaster and got him to equip Ensebotik.  Looking forward to seeing him in action with it.  He's already got more kills (18) than any of the others, and that was with a -Larch Spear-.

Latest artifact, just completed, is a throne with two images of Ringeddashed and also one of the dwarven queen.  Ready for her whenever she comes by.

All in all it's a nice little kingdom to play in.  My main goal right now is to get the internals of the fortress stabilized, which means finishing to excavate various things, getting the economy going (it _should_ trigger this next year), finishing the waterworks, and generally making it internally self-sufficient and getting the population growth to be supported by the kids growing up rather than depending on migrants (seems I've had enough deaths to get a reputation for danger).  Once I've reached that point I can start setting up hunters and experienced combat squads to patrol the surface and pre-emptively crush incursions.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: February 20, 2010, 08:25:50 pm »

My founding metalsmith got a mood. I tried the 'extra items by forbidding' trick, but the other dwarves just hauled the stuff away. I managed to get...an Iron boot. Decorated with wood, and of course, it menaced with spikes of iron. Hopefully one of my Champions will wear it and kick his enemies to death with it.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: February 20, 2010, 08:44:41 pm »

One of my war dogs died of old age.
First time anyone has gone that way in any of my forts.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: February 20, 2010, 11:14:08 pm »

I just had my first successful Forced Noble Suicide.  ;D  It was a simple upright spear activated by a lever.  I built it for the Hammerer, but every time he used it he just hurt himself and was bedridden.  While I was waiting for him to recover and try again, I sent my miserable Tax Collector to try it out.  After what must have been a dozen tries, he finally managed to step over it at the right time. 
The first announcement that came up was "Reg Atisvel, Tax Collector's mandate has ended."
Damn right it has.  8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 11:59:18 pm by BodyGripper »
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 3839