Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120751 times)

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1335 on: February 14, 2010, 07:50:25 am »

Waiting for a caravan to sell slaves to.
Trying to breed groundhogs.
Building housing.
Trying to come up with a practical megaproject.
Looking for a more effective location for my ballista battery.
Waiting for my soldiers to heal.
Trying to smelt my massive cluster of magnetite.
Looking for a fancy way of using as much mudstone rocks as possible.
The above with silver bars.
Sending useless dorfs on suicide fishing missions.
Sending useless dorfs to shoot carp and get some non-useless marksdwarves.
Waiting for my hunter to get killed.
Looking for a less efficient,yet more amusing design for a drowning pit.
Waiting for the goblins to send bigger sieges so things would be fair.
Planning on building a zerg rush army with only maces and bucklers.
Trying to raise an arena-only fighter for amusement.

Life is easy.For me anyway.Not for my dwarves.Hehe blood in the river.

There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:28 am »

Managed to capture a small group of groundhogs, two males and a female, they will be for my zoo though not for eating unless times get really tough  :-X

Also just missed out on buying a grizzly bear off the elves because my useless trader wasn't at the trading post when I asked him for the bazillionth time - he's actually a good trader skillwise but he makes more excuses to go and do other things than any trader i've had previously. If he keeps this up and I do get some bears or wolves for my pits of doom later I might feed him to them.

Edit: as I finished typing the first litter of groundhog pups has been born :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 08:05:08 am by Spong »

TheBeardyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:20 am »

Tested the moat fill system. FPS dropped to 6  :(. It'll be worse when the entire volume of the moat is excavated.
Tested the moat drain system. FPS dropped to 1  :'(. Must remember to use all those rocks and sell all that goblin underwear before I refill it.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:34 am »

finally got an anvil from the humans second year, too late tho, my metal smith went crazy  too soon, first goblin ambush of 10 goblins, mobilized my woodcutter squad who already had axes out and they charged.  Zegan was ahead of the others, and she bravely charged in regardless killing 3 goblins by herself, before having her right eye shot out by a bolt : D she's resting in the hospital
I like sushi.

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: February 14, 2010, 10:34:40 am »

Just lost one of my legendary miners in a cave-in accident while constructing the grand dining hall - got a bit blase about channeling so back to being cautious I think.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:45 am »

Such a thing does not exist. It is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrip, or a politician who gives a rats ass.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 14, 2010, 12:29:05 pm »

Such a thing does not exist. It is an oxymoron, like jumbo shrip, or a politician who gives a rats ass.
No,I mean a megaproject which still has a practical use.Like a giant pyramid where you bury stuff.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: February 14, 2010, 02:46:40 pm »

Try a magma trap. A mega-trap that serves as the entrance to your fortress and also destroys all invader material except iron/steel.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 14, 2010, 04:17:11 pm »

New fortress in an ocean/mountain canyon.  But the RNG seems to have decided to give me a big F*** you. 

Fortress race needs meat or fish for food, but the first caravan came with a grand total of 10 units of meat. and the ocean, the goddamn ocean! Ran completely out of fish after giving up only 4 units of oyster. And to top it all off migrant waves put me up to 24 and it's only mid winter of the first year.

I usually bring a years worth of food for 14 residents (140 meat).  But the complete nonexistance of fishing and caravan supply combined with a large number of migrants looks to be ready to end this fortress before the first year. I'm currently butchering my breeder animals in desperation, but even that is unlikely to last til the next useful caravan. 

This would be the only time I lost a fortress within the first year since 2D.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:18:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: February 14, 2010, 04:22:53 pm »

started a new fortress in vanilla. Cleaning out the dining room now. booorrriinngg.

{[UPDATE]}-->  Biome Freezes in the winter. Moat is now full of "Muddy Ice". With luck, clean water will come in the spring.
Dining and bed rooms done. now searching for something interesting to do.
Fawning over "Muddy Ice".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:11:35 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

spikedball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 14, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »

I tried building a drop-the-ceiling-into-magma type frying device. Tested it out and all the machinery worked as planned: the ceiling caved in and produced a 3x45 passage full of magma mist. From that point stuff went horribly wrong.
The magma mist turned out to be rather overrated. The wiki said it's deadly, so naturally, I assumed that anyone wearing leather and unlucky enough to make contact will be instantly set on fire. Then leather burns away along with its owners, leaving metal and silk items for safe recovery.
I was wrong.
The mist turned out about as dangerous as the wide cones of flame that fire imps breathe up close. It settled without igniting anything. The dust cloud was oversized and threw one of the test squad members on the upper service bridges, and half of them died in the heat below.
So now I have a perfectly functional, but nearly useless magma mist trap and unoperable retracting bridges over magma that are safe for any invaders.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: February 14, 2010, 06:07:44 pm »

Greiger: Fix the animals' hauling capacities to get caravans to stop shortchanging you on requested items. Putting them at 1000 is reasonable, but you can go 40k if you want to have huge caravans.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: February 14, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »

The caravan finally arrived. Coming down the valley heading towards the glorious looking wall that marked the east entrance to the fortress.  They were greeted by the sound of a thousand voices reverberating off of the canyon walls screaming, "FOOD!"  Followed by all of the fortress residents pouring out from the gate, piling into the wagons and immediately scarfing down all the meat to be found.  Entering the fortress the ground is littered with picked clean animal bones and fairy skeletons covered with what looks like teeth marks.

Fortress survived until the caravan arrived.  Noone starved.  Though the majority of the fortress was hunting for vermin after awhile.  A hoarde of unarmed peasants managed to take down an elephant, which was probably the diffrence between life and death.  Lost 6 unskilled migrants to hunting.

Also as an oddity, when the caravan arrived I suddenly found a bunch of cyan Ms lying around in the refuse stockpile. Not recognizing the symbol I look at it closer.  Mermen corpses...a whole slew of them.

I have no idea where the merman corpses came from.  I doubt any hunters could fetch them from the water, and noone had any crossbows at any rate.  But according to my residents they are 'delicious' and it is apperantly all that matters to them.

@Architect: It was the first caravan of the fortress.  No requests happened yet, so it was all luck of the draw at the time.  This caravan I just got has plenty of food this time. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:23:52 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

starburst98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: February 14, 2010, 07:47:31 pm »

TANTRUM SPIRAL!!!! AAAAHHHH!!!!!

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: February 14, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »

Building a giant above ground fort in the desert, currently building a fortress in the clouds above said fort for my king and his court to live in, which is gobbling up all the stone coming from my underground quarrying. also, tapping the small aquifer on my map to fill a 2 z-level pit to supply my dwarves with water.

the floating castle is supported by a single stone wall pillar and a set of up-down stairs, with no protective measures for people on the stairs. it will cover pretty much all of my artifact legendary worker/military barracks  living area(peons sleep in the dirt and in the barracks, each Artifact maker who got legendary from that gets their own personal house. also living there are the useful/harmless nobles, like the DM and philosopher.  I'm running out of space there, so i may eventually have to start building up and out from the floating castle pillar, which could lead to awesone FUN should someone "accidentally" collapse it.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 3842