Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120983 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1320 on: February 12, 2010, 01:23:21 am »

I've learned that military dwarves will gain Wrestling REALLY fast if they're given nothing else to work with. My five recently-recruited guards have hit Legendary Wrestling in the space of a season, while better-equipped dwarves two years their senior are just now becoming champions. (admittedly there were a bunch of setbacks because I had to keep rotating squad designations due to nervous injuries, but still).

The aboveground fort is going reasonably well otherwise. The "center" of the fort is now properly walled off, so I might be able to finally start building some real buildings to house workshops, apartments, and that sort of thing and I can finally get rid of the clutter around the center.

Also, apparantly if a water source is connected to a river in ANY way, it will have sufficient flow for a water wheel... even if it's on the other side of the map and in a dead-end. *Shrug*

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: February 12, 2010, 02:47:26 am »

So a siege of gobbos shows up. No problem, I order everyone inside and raise the drawbridge. However, I notice a single dwarf outside still, showing no signs they'll be going inside soon. They have a flashing yellow down arrow, so I take a look.

It's a baby. A lone baby roaming around outside my fortress. The baby is starving. I look through it's relationships for it's mother. The mother has been in bed for the past 3 or 4 seasons for an arm wound.

Now, directly outside my fort are a few small natural lakes. After losing a champion to one of these monsters, I carved a ramp so they could get out. Well, guess where this baby ended up. Right in the drink. I was prepared to write this one off to natural selection when a miracle happened. The baby, drowning, swam to the ramp and pulled itself out. I was floored.

...Miracle averted. it fell into another lake. Paddled around to the ramp, then away, and then drowned. Oh, Cerol Rakustoslan, your life had hardly yet begun.

Rat Of Wisdom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: February 13, 2010, 10:49:11 am »

So I'm building a road, in order to reduce the conditions for the king's arrival to essentially an on/off switch (based on offerings). My mason's out near the edge of the map when...

An ambush! Curse them!

...he gets jumped by three goblin wrestlers, a speargoblin and a hammergoblin.

Fuck.

So, I drafted him, set him to stay close to his station, and stationed him way back near the fort (as this is the only way I know to get dorfs out of danger fast) and immediately sent a three-strong squad of champions to meet the threat. I figured he'd hoof it back to his station and the gobs would give chase only to run headlong into the champions who would proceed to mop up.

Wrong.

The mason Tosid Bomrekurvad, upon being inducted into the military, quickly proceeded to grab the nearest goblin and hurl him into a tree. Rinse, repeat, et cetera. He killed four of them on the spot. The last one finally managed to fuck up his right arm bad so he starts hobbling back towards the fort and bed; the cavalry at this point is on its way, the final goblin has had its throat crushed (among other things) and is too busy passing out to give chase.

Before the champs even get there the last goblin has died, presumably by suffocating, and my mason's got himself a brand new title: Tosid Bomrekurvad the Failed Smear of Growth. (Ew.)

[v] -> [select Tosid] -> [p] -> [z] -> [y] -> [p]
Custom profession name:
"Fucking Badass".
Evidently, Dorf Philosopher Uristmedes only figured out the Uristmedes screw. And he ran around naked and covered in water, blood, and vomit all the time, so any discoveries made in his 4/7 bathtub went unnoticed by dorf science.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: February 13, 2010, 12:06:57 pm »

I'm having trouble getting motivated to start another fort with the release so close.

I had the idea of taking a worldgen dracon city and turning it into a proper aboveground stronghold.  But after using companion to make all of the city residents controllable I pretty much just ordered everybody into the keep and dug out the ground underneath it for the lulz.

Maybe I'll use the world painter to make an ocean cliff fortress or something.  That could be interesting.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:38 pm »

Immigrants arrived during an ambush (saving me the trouble of assigning them jobs). Every immigrant was drafted, as they had no means of entering my fortress anyway and might as well die an honorable dwarven death. No goblins were killed, though one was seriously injured. Anyway, an immigrant family also arrived. The mother and father both died, as well as one of the children, but the last child somehow managed to survive until I could re-build the two bridges I had deconstructed and send out my military.

That's one lucky (and only very unhappy, not even miserable!) child.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: February 13, 2010, 03:41:15 pm »

I have just recieved my dwarven dungeon master, who's currently only wearing a cloak, hood and mittens.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:35 pm »

it seems that my Count consort has a thing for crossbows, as he has mandated that we make them...again. At least my fort will be well armed with crossbow dorfs when I turn invaders back on.

Construction on my mega castle is progressing. the 3-z-level-high wall is going a bit slower on the second level and the useless meatsack's noble's tower is progressing nicely
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: February 13, 2010, 06:59:47 pm »

I'm awesoming up my HFS survivor, so I can throw her down and avenge the losses :D
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: February 13, 2010, 07:48:32 pm »

I have just recieved my dwarven dungeon master, who's currently only wearing a cloak, hood and mittens.
It's what they do. I've heard stories that they will pile cloak upon cloak upon cloak upon their backsides, and naught else, but I've yet to see it happen myself.

Myles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 13, 2010, 08:20:12 pm »

I have just experienced my first tantrum spiral. As a new DF player of about a week, my first successful(moderately) fortress has pretty much collapsed on itself.

It all started with, what I thought, was a successful raid defense. 4 squads of 12 goblins appeared and headed towards the entrance. As the noob I am, I have a poor defense setup, basically a bunch of stone traps with a dividing wall to stop arrows - it had worked until then, but this was twice as strong as anything that had attacked before.

I sent out two squads, 5 dwarfs strong each. Naturally, only two dwarfs are there when the first goblin squad shows up. I tried to keep them behind my traps, but one rushed out head on, and the other wasn't two far behind. Amazingly, the first takes out 3 goblins in a matter of seconds, and together they push back the others until another goblin squad shows up and rains death with arrow fire. The goblins start to push through my choke point, and many are hurt from falling rocks, then the rest of my army shows up and the real fight begins.

The whole time the battle is going on, stupid civilian dwarfs keep trying to run in and pick up stuff that's been dropped, resulting in a few unnecessary deaths. But in the end, my army drives them off with minimal causalities, and things seem ok. Total losses, 3 soldiers, 3-4 workers.

So, I think things are getting back to normal when next thing I know I have dwarfs starting to tantrum. Turns out that one of the dwarfs killed was a child, now his parents and all his friends are pissed. After the first round of tantruming the whole fort is flashing red. Dwarfs start berserking, bodies start flying, and blood ends up all of the dining room floor. This goes on a few times with most dwarfs making it out unharmed. Then a legendary fish cleaner goes berserk. He takes out 3 dwarfs before guards can make it to him, then proceeds to mangle the swordsdwarf and elite wrestler that are first on the scene. He then murders a child, then a baby, and causes unknown causalities as he makes it into the dining room before finally being taken down.

At that point I might as well have ended it. Blood was spattered all of the dining room. Bodies lay strewn from the manufacturing quarters to the great dining hall, and only more pain and sorrow was to come.

To make a long story short, I now stand at 60 dwarfs and I fully expect at least another 10 to die from blood loss, thirst, hunger, or plain misery since at least that many lie on the floor helpless, as other dwarfs pass them without batting an eye. Already countless have suffered the same fate.

Oh, and as I finish writing this, the nobles I've been awaiting for nearly two years have finally shown up. I've been sitting at 130+ dwarfs, 500k+ imports and 10k+ exports for two years, slaughtering any meager assault attempted, only to be told that they were all were too scared to make the journy despite only two deaths the entire time. Now, they're happy to walk in the fortress passed dead and dying bodies, blood covered everything, and every dwarf they see more pissed off than the last. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets murdered soon after they enter the dining room.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:26:20 pm by Myles »

Spong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: February 13, 2010, 08:34:55 pm »

I've started yet another new fort - hopefully this one will work for a change, although had a bit of an  issue with food shortages recently - managed to survive it by quickly slaughtering a few draught animals, fishing and growing some crops. Before that though I turned my useless Gem cutter into a hunter and sent him off to find some nosh thinking he might bring back a mountain goat or a nice groundhog. A few minutes later I see that he's been struck down. I scan the map and come across the parts that didn't get eaten in the southwest corner of the map, looks like he got turned into chunks and had his leg torn off by a cougar. So there's now a named dorf-eating cougar roaming around out there somewhere. I left the guy for the carrion birds, far too dangerous to go after him and he didn't know anyone that well. If only it had been that grumpy farmer-dorf that half the fort have a grudge against instead.

Nobbins

• Bay Watcher
  • Dustland
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: February 13, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »

Code: [Select]
..#.
.+++
#+o+
.+++
. = empty space
+ = floor
# = drawbridge
o = lever

Imagine 49 of these linked up, and that the levers are connected to random bridges. The ultimate adventure-puzzle is being constructed. =D

In other news, I got a goblin siege the first winter. I was like "You shittin'?" But a crossbowman, a single crossbowman held them off. Somehow. It was pretty awesome.
Nobbins's Tileset Shoppe
It would mean that once a year, all of your female cats suddenly explode if there are any male cats around.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: February 13, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »

nickname that dorf Rambo. Make him legendary, with an artifact crossbow and masterwork armor. or, alternitvely, murder him for being couter-Fun.

:P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: February 14, 2010, 02:40:34 am »

A metalsmithing mood has produced an Iron statue, after many moods ending with only toys. Finally somthing useful!

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 14, 2010, 06:58:08 am »

Let's see here. Lots of exciting things:

My countess went insane after a brief tantrum spree, killing 2 dorfs after going berserk before she was put down by my legendary miner hitting her with surgical precision, red-damaging (mangling?) both her lungs, and hurting nothing else. She then suffocated in the Dungeon Master's room.

Surprisingly enough, after a brief bit of throwing rocks around and one fistfight, the countess's husband has moved from being saddened over his wife's death to really not caring, he's back to "fine" status and moving up the happy chain. Guess I won't have to sic the dragon on him.

Shortly after this, I struck the HFS, but not the clowns (yet). This is the first time I've dealt with HFS, so I'm expecting all kinds of "fun".

My pet dragon set fire to an entire herd of zombie mountain goats, suffering a minor injury to his wing in the process. I sent the patrol squad back to base so Ziril can heal.

Construction is proceeding on Project: Burn the World, the pump stack is nearly done, but it's progress got slowed down because of the recent sieges and other "fun".
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 3842