Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120984 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1305 on: February 10, 2010, 12:36:30 pm »

New fort has officially kicked off with the death of one of my miners (who was also my mechanic, and architect. :() in a magma channeling accident that shouldn't have happened. The eerie thing is that, because I had dug out ramps beforehand (i'm not sure I remember why), he was able to get out of the magma with "only" both of his feet mangled. Somehow this means that his body instantly vaporized when he bled out next to the vent, leaving his bones.

The good news is that because he got out of the magma so quickly, his giant cave spider robe didn't catch on fire and I can sell it to the merchants.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 10, 2010, 01:35:38 pm »

I never thought I would say this but I'm running out of stone.  Well, not stone in general.  I could always mine more but not without messing up my fortress.  Specifically I'm looking for more orthoclase but I can't find any in the lower levels.  I'm going to have to find a way to work around my constructions to mine out more.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: February 10, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

I never thought I would say this but I'm running out of stone.  Well, not stone in general.  I could always mine more but not without messing up my fortress.  Specifically I'm looking for more orthoclase but I can't find any in the lower levels.  I'm going to have to find a way to work around my constructions to mine out more.

Maybe switch to microline.... Everyone has too much microline.

On another note, if you must have orthoclase you could hijack a reaction to convert your worthless stone to orthoclase.  Its "cheatng" but depending on your megaproject sometimes you have to.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: February 10, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »

Maybe switch to microline.... Everyone has too much microline.

On another note, if you must have orthoclase you could hijack a reaction to convert your worthless stone to orthoclase.  Its "cheatng" but depending on your megaproject sometimes you have to.

Nah, I'm actually using microcline for something else.  I found some more orthoclase somewhere else so it doesn't really matter.

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 10, 2010, 03:30:57 pm »

I was chilling around making a butload of steel armor when a titan came around. IT was my first titan encounter megabeast or whatever and I thought i was screwed until my champion crushed its skull and did a number on its brain.

It happened so quick o.O

I gave him the title titan smasher and made him a nice tomb heh.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 10, 2010, 05:03:01 pm »

Going on my fort's 20th year. My last year was a bit catastrophic with around 25 deaths due to a few losses during a gobbo seige, followed by a minor tantrum spiral.
Yeah yeah yeah!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 10, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

Right now, I'm working on a suicide system; my fort's old enough, established enough, and generally self-sufficient enough that I'm planning to start a new one soon. Before I do, though, I plan to wipe my previous failings in this fort from existence under a flood of pressurized magma. I made enough mistakes that I'm going to have to destroy them all and start anew elsewhere.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:32 pm »

My cloth based economy fort is comming along nicely. Just about finished the temporary orc death trap. With luck I may actualy get a human or dwarven caravan in the next few years and get an anvil so I can start making armor.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 11, 2010, 02:44:26 am »

After several dwarf years I am please to announce the completion of the 5 story green glass dome over my round throne room tower. The interior decorations in gold and silver are in place and the 38 masterpiece statues are all installed. Now if only I could find the artifact gneiss throne that was supposed be the centerpiece. I think I accidentally installed it in a common dwarf bedroom somewhere.

There was also a tragic incident near the end of the dome project when a mason went insane on the top level, shoved a war dog off the edge and then beat a young child to death, the son of his fellow masons although the parents don't really seem to care that young Medtob is now deceased.

Curious visitors to the throne room may notice the blood stains on the peak of the dome and the rotting corpse of another mason who trapped himself on the third tier.

I call it The Dome of the Dead.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:25 pm »

Goblins ambushed today. Somehow, despite them appearing in the middle of the meeting area, the only casualties were a dog and half a speardwarf (he lost both of his legs, you see.). Fortunately, the fact that this was an aboveground fortress meant that there wasn't a lot of jobs to do at the time (far less stone to haul), and so the speardwarf was rescued before he bled out.

On an entirely unrelated note, I now have a new sheriff.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 11, 2010, 01:52:45 pm »

I finally tired of my latest fort (1x1 Cobaltine pyramid) and decided to induce a tantrum spiral.  All went well, it's finally winding down.  My second favorite part was when my Mary Sue multi-legendary dwarf went berserk and slaughtered the entire hospital ward then half my military.

My favorite part was watching a berserk peasant chase the stupid mayor-chef around in circles for a few days.  He finally caught up, grabbed her baby from her arms, ripped it's leg off, and tossed it aside.  Now *that* is a referendum!

I'll eventually reclaim with Kobolds.  Cobaltine gets it's name from Kobolds, you know? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt

'Chef' Athelkathil has been very unhappy recently.  She has lost a child to tragedy recently.  She was yelled at by an unhappy citizen recently.  She was very happy to be elected mayor recently.  She enjoyed starting a fist fight recently.  She accidentally killed someone in a fit of rage recently.
(left out the normal stuff)
She had her baby's leg thrown at her by a constituent recently.  She is having second thoughts about being mayor.  She regrets annoying Armok by cancelling all those food production orders.
She is married to 'Grower' Clasphandle and has 3.7 children... for now.
She absolutely detests her life.

Further update: One of my champion wrestlers, finally went berserk.  With a mule leather robe in his left hand, a pig tail sock in his right, he set upon a child... he somehow removed both arms and legs, plus the child's head.  He may have used a nearby wall but I got the "struck down" message, not the "collision with an object" one.
Now waiting for my last two sane dwarves to dehydrate to death in a murky pool.  Fun :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 02:56:01 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #1316 on: February 11, 2010, 05:25:19 pm »

As I'm reorganizing my fort's entrance to streamline the gathering of gobblin corpses, I designate some floors to be removed. Child labor...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 11, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »

fort started in random cold location comes off to a wonderful start. we embark, the wagon is in the rough center of the map... we start digging entrance and all... the spring thaw comes by and defrosts all the water, and i find out the hard way that part of the wagon was supported by a frozen pool. lost one of the starting 7, a farmer, and a chunk of my food, seed, and alcohol reserves to that.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »

You can't revive the fallen, but you can dig your supplies out next freeze.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: February 11, 2010, 11:52:17 pm »

I no longer need anything via trading, and my military's getting tired of just fighting goblins, so I've decided to start fights with the elves and humans. After being locked away in the trade depot for a few months, the elves finally went nuts, but only one of their number went berserk. It was a donkey. And then it threw one of the elves off the depot platform.

The depot is 17z off the ground.

After it killed everything in the depot, it jumped off to its own doom. Farewell, Echoinched the Delightful Partner.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:56:59 pm by Retro »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 3842