Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121351 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1230 on: February 03, 2010, 08:18:12 pm »

So I just got my request list from the humans...

I'm not sure they value their prosperity very much.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »

So I just got my request list from the humans...

I'm not sure they value their prosperity very much.

They forgot to ask for bolts. Expect that next year.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:55 pm »

So yeah. just survived Goblin Christmas, and I'll be melting iron 'til its time to fry the next group of elves. I'm throwing the last couple survivors into magma, and realized that one of them is a local leader.

I'm chucking a goblin duke or whatever into magma...
God I love this game

Also, when I stole his stuff, I realized he was wearing an elf bone crown, and was carrying some goblin bone crafts and such. crazy.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: February 03, 2010, 11:12:48 pm »

A goblin ambush was sprung by a few camels I've been having trouble killing. They died quickly.
A second ambush was sprung from the SAME camels. I zoomed away because I thought they died. The camels were slaughtered. They headed toward my 9 champions and were quickly killed by the traders' crossbowdwarves.
Awesome. :)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: February 03, 2010, 11:19:13 pm »

Absolutely nothing, save mandates, drinking, and partying. I'm still trying to cut the food stockpiles to something resembling healthy levels, as opposed to the 5000 drink and 16000 prepared meals we had at the beginning of the year. This may be the only benefit of having half my fortress be children, as they'll do nothing but eat and drink right now, bringing things down to more reasonable levels. OTOH, my recent purge of the animals I bought from the elves has meant massive quantities of meat and fat, which must be stored until they're cooked or eaten, taking up barrels that would be better used for boozeahol.

Also busy constructing a butchering complex, where I'll dump the interesting animals the elves brought until I need to kill them. Standard system; only points of entry are the pit above and the locked door, only point of exit is the retracting bridge over the butcher's shop.

Edit: I'm also waiting anxiously for the next siege to arrive so I can do something with their remains. Gone two years, at least, without so much as an ambush to bother me. You'd think they'd take more of an interest in a new mountainhome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:30:16 pm by darthbob88 »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:24 am »

Maybe you killed them all already?  I hear it's possible to kill off all goblins if the RNG sticks you with a particularly low population goblin civ from embark.

My population is now 221 from babies.  And much of the population is out of work. Fishermen haven't had a job in 3 years because all the fish are gone, jewelers only have one shop to work out of, I have no more need for more mechanisms, farming is only happening half the year because I have far more cloth than I need, the bonecrafters get all their work stolen by the legendary bone crafters, I lack access to alot of decorative metals and the military is already fully decked out for the useful metals.

My manager is sitting in his room having a meeting with a fisherman about work.  I find that odd because the manager is laying down, and he is usually running off with the masons, the only ones with steady work building the surface fort.  Then I see the icon switch over to a horse.  And for some reason I chuckle. I put up all my breeding pairs of animals for sale so I don't accidentally butcher them. It seems the fisherman trained one of the horses to sit on the manager so that he would actually sit still and listen to his complaints.

I was impressed with the ingenuity so I gave him the mason labor.  So now he is happily getting paid to place blocks on top of other blocks.  A happy ending for everybody.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: February 04, 2010, 12:12:30 am »

Well found my Marble, Sweet happy Steel for my pump. My only problem, It's over by the Magma Pipe (which only has a content Magma man at the bottom of it) and that is going to be a transportation problem.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: February 04, 2010, 06:50:05 am »

story about a fort where baby's are slaughtered by orcs and noone cares.

My normal reaction would be to tell you that that the init. folder has something in their about making pregnancy impossible in a fortress, but when this level of awesome is applied to fix the problem my point becomes void ENTIRELY.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: February 04, 2010, 01:30:31 pm »

I'm taking my third try at a cross-ocean bridge, embarking with no building materials and playing no immigrants, no trading, and no digging. I'm up to 12 dwarves now, thanks to the starting seven being very friendly, and my bridge is about 1/3 complete.

Just waiting for trees to regrow so I can build further.

Also, desalinating without any stone or abiltiy to dig or make mechanisms is painful.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: February 04, 2010, 03:21:06 pm »

I just started a fort that got the random name "Webstandards".

I'll try to keep it W3C-compliant.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: February 04, 2010, 07:37:33 pm »

Metalsmith gets hit with a couple of hammerstrikes, but lives to tell the tale.
Moments later, he goes secretive, and creates:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So no images of the hammerer dying horribly, but so what. He still made an artifact with red wounds on his arm. That's got to speak for something.
I shall have a kitten sacrificed to celebrate!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 07:47:22 pm by Urist McOverlord »
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: February 04, 2010, 08:15:03 pm »

That's just awful.  It's humorous but I am partially saddened that I get the joke.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: February 04, 2010, 10:00:55 pm »

Please use the strict syntax. I weep for the existence of the looser ones :'(

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:14 pm »

Don't make me whip out the <blink> tag.

Please use the strict syntax. I weep for the existence of the looser ones :'(
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: February 05, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »

I love it when Nobles are spawned near Zombies. Just the fact that their first job is "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!" is funny

Edit: Pity they survived, and the Countess want adamantine items. Wonderful. Time to kill her.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:59:21 pm by Teferi »
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 3842