Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121568 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1215 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:52 pm »

Happydog, you turn migrants off in the init file.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 03, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »

Just started the second half of the digging for my megaproject fort. The first round of my undertaking left me with in the vicinity of 300,000 stone, and my non-project digging has probably garnered me with another 100,000. With the large area I'm digging out now, I could possibly end up with in the range of 700,000 tiles dug out. Yeesh. At least I have about 100 dwarves who do absolutely nothing but dump stone in the chasm. Two years of that got my FPS up from 0 to 15, although I think today's efforts have trashed it back down to 4FPS already.

Since this, I've struck 102 clusters of non-layer stone or gem pockets. I'm seriously wishing I had modded diorite to not contain anything at this point, but that's about four months too late.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 03, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »

No. NOOOO!!
I had just finished trading with the merchants. I had bought some cloth for them, but I forgot to make a stockpile for cloth, so after the merchants left, the bins stayed out there. I made the finished goods stockpile in a cloth stockpile.

Then I get the message "A thief has stolen a (giant cave spider silk cloth)!" :'(

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 03, 2010, 02:53:33 pm »

No worries, I hear kobolds send ambush parties if they steal enough value of stuff.  Maybe in trade for that silk you'll get a larger yearly supply of koboldite.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 03, 2010, 03:00:43 pm »

I'm worried about them sending more. It's like striking microcline except it cancels jobs. D:
Now: Thief! Protect the Horde from the skulking filth! x4

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:31 pm »

My dwarves have finally smelted the last piece of magnetite. I had like 2000 of them. I have hit three clusters of it. Now, on to steel production with all of those iron bars. But first, the smelting of every metal non-home-made-masterpiece item on the map. Which might take even longer.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 03, 2010, 03:46:49 pm »

I'm about to hit halfway on my insane 7-dwarf (well, 5-dwarf now :() ocean-bridging project.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 03, 2010, 04:04:29 pm »

I found the magma pipe, finally. I'd never thought I'd see zombie fire imps. :o
Also, this fort is going to be my first megaproject.
It's progress can be summed up with this picture.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 03, 2010, 04:41:10 pm »

Happydog, you turn migrants off in the init file.

I thought that even setting your population cap low would result in at least one wave of immigrants and that below something like 20 dwarves the cap was not always effective? 

ManiacallyChallenged

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 03, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »

I chewed through a few hundred units of Tetrahedrite training my Metalsmith.
He gets possessed. He wants silver.
We've got that(Tetrahedrite)
He wants leather. We've got that(unicorns)
He wants cave spider silk cloth. We are not on a map with cave spiders, and the caravan left two weeks ago(not like they had silk, I checked)

So now, this early fort is about to lose it's leg up. Two competent swordsdwarves and the crossbow wielding sherriffess are going to kill this guy in a matter of days. The war dogs will hold him down, he'll get his eye shot out(the Sheriff always goes for the eye), and then he will get chopped up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1225 on: February 03, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »

I have been running an experimental fortress lately, an attempt at a simple fortress that runs itself with minimal intervention on my part.  This fortress has a large patch of plump helmets, a food storage room, a communal bedroom, and a communal dining room with a dozen wells and river pouring down onto a single-tile meeting room in the center.  That's it.  The farmers keep the plump helmet plot running, and everyone harvests and keeps the food stockpile full of mushrooms.  They all eat cold mushroom and drink water, and spend all their time socializing in a pile of muddy dwarves under a waterfall.

A hands-off fortress like this depends on planters arriving as immigrants to replace the starting farmers when they die of old age.  Over time the dwarves with nothing else to do with their time produce a lot of children, which fill up the population and prevent further immigration.  To deal with this problem and to see if it was possible I built a device which removes children from the fortress.  Dwarves walking to or from the food stockpile  have to pass over a pressure plate which triggers for any friendly creature that weighs less than an adult dwarf.  The pressure plate opens floor hatches that block the child from moving forward or backwards, while a side door opens to a path that seems to lead to the food stockpile.  Down that path is a pressure-plate triggered retracting drawbridge that dumps the child into a corridor that only leads outdoors.

The device worked remarkably well.  Very soon after it was installed a dozen or so children were wandering around outside.  They could get back inside through the immigrant airlock, but would just end up being dumped back outside when they went to get food.  Then an orc siege arrived, with predictable results.  Now the fort has no children.  Every time a baby grows to be a child - which happens pretty often as that many dwarves with nothing else to do make a lot of babies - it soon goes to get something to eat and ends up dumped outside.

I actually feel kind of bad about this.  It's the worst thing I've ever deliberately done in fortress mode.  Oddly the dwarves themselves don't seem to mind much.  Apparantly the compounded happiness from standing under a waterfall with all your friends non-stop for years offsets having all your children torn apart by orcs and left to rot out in the open, while eating cold plump helmet and drinking water.  I only had one tantrum, from a fisherdwarf who was new to the fortress and hadn't stood in the happymaking mist long enough.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jyppa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 03, 2010, 05:27:48 pm »

My mechanic went fey and produced an artifact mechanism called "the Breath of Time". This name is so awesome that I now feel compelled to incorporate it into either a working dwarven clock counting weeks and months (I have an idea for the execution of this) or the final trigger of a doomsday clock set to collapse the entire fort into the magma pipe it was built inside. Oh, the choices.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 03, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

borgity borg borg

that. is. awesome!
please upload a map file. please? or some designs at least?

how did you get around the sobering effect of drinking only water?
Was the immigrant airlock also automated?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1228 on: February 03, 2010, 06:00:21 pm »

borgity borg borg
how did you get around the sobering effect of drinking only water?
I didn't.  They all work very slowly, but since nearly all are idle all the time it doesn't matter.  The farmers seem to be able to keep everyone fed even when sober, and the unimaginably joy of OMG WATERFALL!!! seems to offset the bad feelings of drinking water.
Was the immigrant airlock also automated?
Yep.  It's a 1X10 retracting bridge over an open space leading to the actual fortress.  The bridge is fully enclosed by walls except one end which leads outside.  The path in has a pressure plate triggered by friendly creatures only.  The far end of the bridge has a 1 tile meeting area.  Incoming immigrants path to the meeting area, step on the pressure plate, the bridge retracts under their feet and dumps them in the fortress.  Invaders don't path to meeting zones, so they never even try to get in, and wouldn't set off the pressure plate anyway.

Map is up at http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7963-lashedsubtle
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:04:56 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 03, 2010, 06:23:52 pm »

I think I'll turn the invasions off then. Speaking of which, when do huge projects start deserving their own threads?

You can always start a thread on your mega-project... I'd wait until you have time to write up some kind of narrative about it...  It doesn't have to be award winning penmanship, but having some screenshots that say more than "This month a bridge was built" tends to be more entertaining and seems to attract more readers and such to your thread.

Just write it up and be excited about what you're doing.  People who don't care will always have the option of not reading and/or following your thread :-)
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 3842