Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121702 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1200 on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »

You may already know this:

There's no guarantee he will pick up an artifact weapon at all unless you forbid all of the others of that type and make him drop the one he's already carrying.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 02, 2010, 09:31:39 pm »

Yea I do.  All my artifacts are locked in an iron room.  I arm my champs with artifacts by locking them in the room with some random hauler, have the hauler dump the old equipment in some corner and watch them grab the only weapon of their type they can reach, which should be an artifact.  Then I reclaim the old weapon and let them out.

This time he pretty much just sat around like a lump after his crossbow was taken.  Then I forbade every crossbow in the fortress other than the artifact and he still didn't want it.

EDIT: Typo

EDIT2: Thanks for trying though :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:35:46 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 02, 2010, 10:03:14 pm »

Sure, glad to help when I can. I guess the trigger for picking up artifacts is tied to the tag "Champion" rather than the legendary skill level.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 03, 2010, 12:10:23 am »

I learned that it is possible, in the naming template, to use the "The X" and "Of X" modifiers without the base front/rear compound modifiers. Entire worlds have been opened to me with this.

...So the next fortress I make will likely be named Cös Os. I'll let you figure that out while I try to redeem myself for it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:28 am »

Captured the first of three GCS in my fort. Magma trap's coming along nicely. Got artifact mechanisms, and started a clear glass industry. Built a dining hall in a bottomless pit after clearing out most of the inhabitants. And my dwarves still don't have beds yet.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 03, 2010, 12:57:20 am »

My group of rappers* is working on a tunnel to span bridge ocean and island, and an over-water bridge to do the same. I'm going to make the bridge exclusively out of wood, and I don't know if the 550 or so I brought along is enough. With no anvil and no axe, I might be in trouble.

*Government is named the Perplexing Rhyming Bear of Grilling, and I've nicknamed the dwarves after rappers. The only rapper I could think of was World of Warcraft related, while my girlfriend came up with the other six. :(
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:17 am »

*Government is named the Perplexing Rhyming Bear of Grilling, and I've nicknamed the dwarves after rappers. The only rapper I could think of was World of Warcraft related, while my girlfriend came up with the other six. :(

Nyhm, or one of the druid boyz?
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2010, 08:27:57 am »

nhym, since it was the only rapper that sprang to my head. Ten seconds to guess my least favorite genre of music.
Collosal bronze man
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:07 am »

I found a beautiful site today, with an exposed magma pipe, non-exposed bottomless pit (somewhere in the northeast corner), and an underriver. I was a wuss and cheated with Visual Fortress, found out that the river begins on z55, drops a level, and gets sucked down into the yawning abyss at the end of all things.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It killed seven frogmen within seconds of unpausing.

Oh, yeah. 141 z-levels at my disposal. I started on z90 (counting underground).  WAY too much gabbro, I kid you not. The red stuff? Realgar. I made it the Orthoclase of igneous extrusive.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, the RNG named my fort Towerclashes. Take one guess what I'll be building.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2010, 08:33:50 am »

I am attempting to drain a ring-lake of water that I placed around my magma pipe, in order to access said magma for a magma moat. Numerous screw pumps will be employed.

First time trying something something with so much potential for fun, so we'll see how it goes.

Liokaizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:05 am »

This might be the end of my fort. 4 dwarves have starved to death and others are tantruming. I'm trying to build a bigger farm, but it may be too late.  :-[

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 03, 2010, 10:18:12 am »

Getting my Magma moat pump under construction (as in building the Steel components for the pump), still haven't hit the Marble in the map, so I imported flux. suspended the construction of the dining roof, to build all the tables and chairs I need for it.

Edit: Finally the melancholic Count dies
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:21:34 am by Teferi »
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:21 am »

I'm taking another spin at the ocean-bridging with Oceanchains, a fortress that I'm going to actually do the super hardcore challenge with. No immigrants, no digging, no wood supplies brought along. All wood for the bridge will be cut on-site. I don't even know if this will be possible, since invasions are still in. Is it fair game to turn them off for the purposes of a project of this magnitude/difficulty?
Collosal bronze man
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 03, 2010, 12:04:41 pm »

I'm taking another spin at the ocean-bridging with Oceanchains, a fortress that I'm going to actually do the super hardcore challenge with. No immigrants, no digging, no wood supplies brought along. All wood for the bridge will be cut on-site. I don't even know if this will be possible, since invasions are still in. Is it fair game to turn them off for the purposes of a project of this magnitude/difficulty?

It's up to you to determine what is fair, but it seems to me if you aren't going to have immigrants, not having invasions would be fair. 

I didn't think there was a way to prevent immigrants though unless you were completely surrounded by water that doesn't ever freeze

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 03, 2010, 12:10:14 pm »

I think I'll turn the invasions off then. Speaking of which, when do huge projects start deserving their own threads?
Collosal bronze man
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 3842