Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122024 times)

Tropico

• Bay Watcher
  • ... and benevolent, too!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1140 on: January 28, 2010, 05:15:54 pm »

Just finished engraving the grand throne room. My dwarves are narcissistic as hell.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 28, 2010, 05:27:33 pm »

A grizzly just mauled my miner and he lost part of his arm although a passing mason who I drafted managed to save him and kill the bear, I used that trick to instaheal wounds to fix the lung thinking the missing arm would stay missing, but it grew back. So, I wonder how the dwarves will deal with the fact that he now technically has three arms, the one that was torn off at the elbow his normal arm, plus the one that regenerated through the power of Armok.

Swivelguy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 28, 2010, 10:18:05 pm »

Finally, my dwarves are starting to interact! My expedition leader (/clothier/weaver/dyer/leatherworker) and my mason just got hitched. I've had them all off of work for over a year, piling into my 1x1 dining room meeting hall, ecstatic as can be, but mysteriously not gaining any social skills. In fact, my married mason still has only dabbling in all social skills (the expedition leader must like her for her... other... qualities).

I'm playing a no-immigration fort (or as close to it as the population cap setting allows) so I'm gonna have to depend on some babymaking. It looks like immigration has ceased at a population of 11 adults (4F / 7M). Here's hoping for 3 more marriages soon!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 28, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »

My philosopher is hitched and carrying around a little beardy... apparently dwarf philosophy is "go forth and multiply". My fort is almost half children now, it's crazy.

I'm slowly disassembling my magma scaffold. After collapsing the pump stack, I've begun removing it from the wall of my fortress. My plan is to just cave the whole thing in. One of my dwarves opened a magma door, which worries me. If I'm lucky, they moved fast enough that there's no magma goo on any of them, but I worry that when I turn on temperature my booze stockpile will explode or something. Last time I rely on dwarf pathing, I gotta lock all those damn doors. Friggin kids.

I've lined the path in with clear glass statues. Next caravan will have to spawn at one spot, and they WILL make it to the dwarves with my tribute. Big achievement with this fort, my first megaproject and my first time to acquire all the dwarf nobles, from baron to king.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 29, 2010, 05:32:02 pm »

Some zombie pheasants (note: they can fly) were hanging out a couple of z-levels above where I needed some digging done. So I sent my miners out, figuring they'd catch their attention and lure them to the ground, where I'd turn them into recruits and pickaxe them to re-death.

Worked for the first three pheasants, but the fourth stayed in the air while fighting, which I guess precluded the miners from using their picks, but not from wrestling. So I turned them back into miners to lure the pheasant again, then re-drafted them.

This time they both got their picks stuck in it simultaneously and kept wrestling it till a swordsdwarf came along and lopped it in half. During the scuffle, one miner broke his left hip... and then healed back a minute later while fighting. "Unbelievably tough" indeed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 29, 2010, 05:43:01 pm »

Trying to plan around the underground river that end up flooding most of my exploratory channels.

Working towards my underground fishery. But I need to clear the river first.

Trying to decide whether or not to mod so I can start a captive Lizardman breeding program.

Looking for reasons why my booze consumption is out pacing booze production, and finding no answers.

Waiting on the damn caravan to bring me some more bauxite.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 29, 2010, 05:49:12 pm »

My carpenters and masons were slacking on making furniture for the baron and his company. I was just about finishing his room, when he decided to turn the barony into a county. Dang it.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1147 on: January 29, 2010, 07:07:10 pm »

Looking for reasons why my booze consumption is out pacing booze production, and finding no answers.

Well, first you need stills. Stills need plants to be extracted. Plants need to come from Farms, farms need seeds, seeds come from gathered plants.
Or, barrels->trees.

Or you need more stills.

AS for me, emptying all ponds around the fort in an effort to make an underground moat.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 29, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »

How many dwarves do you have? How many soldiers? How many have "doesn't care about anything anymore"? How many brewers do you have? How many stills? How skilled are they? How skilled are your growers? Are your brewers consistently brewing stacks of 1 plant (tip - brew plants that aren't edible raw to maximize brew size)? Are your stills too far from your furniture/food stockpiles? Is your booze being guzzled by grizzly bears or gnomes?

I try to keep 400-800 booze on hand at all times. That gives you a good buffer against running out, which can happen inside of a season. It's also easier to hit, 30 barrels will produce 150-900 booze (though the max is 3300, but that requires brewing the ultra-rare stacks of 11 that, according to Toady, are an outside chance from a legendary+5 grower on a fertilized field). But then, I have a large fortress, if you only have 40 or so dwarves you need less.

The elves brought nothing but wood again. I seized their caravan, which was only worth 300 db or so as is. Why I even bother bringing bins to the trade depot I don't know, my hope of having a breeding pair of grizzly bears is looking like just a fantasy.

My obsidian tower is almost finished. I have to finish half of the last floor, then line the top with clear glass windows. My attempt to get the queen this year was foiled by orcs, so it won't be until at least next winter until she arrives. I have an entire floor of the obsidian tower for her, filled with masterwork and artifact furniture, with walls made from clear glass windows. It's very nice. I plan to test something, I want to see if getting an unmarried monarch to marry inside of your fort will create a king/queen consort for future forts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 08:44:47 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

How many dwarves do you have?

How many soldiers?

10 I think, w/o loading up my game.

How many have "doesn't care about anything anymore"?

Not sure, but at least 5.

How many brewers do you have? How many stills? How skilled are they?

Three brewers, 7, 4 and 3, and three stills.

How skilled are your growers?
Quite skilled, and numerous

Are your brewers consistently brewing stacks of 1 plant (tip - brew plants that aren't edible raw to maximize brew size)?

Not sure about that...but I'm using plump helmets because I haven't diversified my agriculture yet. That might be a big part of it.

Are your stills too far from your furniture/food stockpiles?

Furniture, sort of. But they are right on top of my food stockpiles.

Is your booze being guzzled by grizzly bears or gnomes?

Over the dead body of every male, female and child of my fortress.

I've got ~600 right now, that I bulked up through trading. But I'm hemorrhaging at least 100 units per year, and that's with three full-time brewers working around the clock with no other responsibilities. Is it the Plump Helmets? 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 29, 2010, 08:46:48 pm »

I'm pretty much tapped out.  40-dwarf fort on a 2x2 embark, the only magma was in the HFS.  I've traded goblin socks and syrup roasts for all the metal I could ever want, geared up my military with the pimpingest imaginable gear, trained them all up to Chuck Norris levels, and killed absolutely everything that dared set foot on my land without a wagonload of lumber or metal in tow.  It's too bad, too, because I had to fight the clowns without the benefit of their treasure, and now that I've got it, I've got nothing to use it against.  Goblins gave up years ago.

I'm trying to think of new ways to amuse myself.  I figure either I'll start a war with the humans to keep me occupied, or I'll start making costumes for my guys.  I think I could make a little Link outfit with some green dye and pig tails and then trick my sword expert into putting it on.  If only there was a way to be sure I'd be able to decorate the gloves with images of triangles...
I brake for stumble bumblings

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #1151 on: January 29, 2010, 09:22:40 pm »

Imagine Cerol Tiredbolted, a poor miner that is quick to anger, is unbelieably tough and extremly strong, put to dig a something outdoors. Then it starts to rain.

Cerol does not really like it, but he keeps up.

Then, as of sudden, he is ambushed by one wrestler and three goblin hammerers and more in the distance.

He wants to run away, but he is stunned. And suddenly, he is drafted.
He certainly does not like being drafted, but he`s got no choice now.

He recieves a hell a lot of punishment, but gives a lot back. First the goblin wrestler dies, then the goblin hammerers. Some try to run away, but he runs after them and pummels them to the ground and punch the living daylights out of them.

At the end of the day, he is Cerol Tiredbolted the Tempted Harmoines of Rain with a kill score of 5. He only got a moderate damage on his arm too. (not to mention that his day got lighter after being comforted by a pet.)

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 29, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »

I'm currently making some neighbourhoods for my different groups of dwarves. I have the farmer's market done. It consists of long, 5z level homes
  • "Sky" and top of roof
  • Attic and roof slopes
  • Bedrooms
  • Dining room, Study, and backyard with a well.
  • Sewers to deliver water to the wells

I'm working on cylindrical, somewhat smaller (as I'll never use the attics) homes for my crafters, which is about half done. I have to think up something for the masons and metalsmiths which will be a bit bigger. My starting seven and their spouses have their super rooms built, as do my soon to arrive nobles.

Working on designing an 8 level giant dining room, complete with oval-ish levels at one end for each tier of my nobles. I know I'm going to use the inside of the pillars to store the foods, and it'll have heated floors for the commoners, with a set of wells in the middle.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:00 pm »

How skilled are your growers?
Quite skilled, and numerous

Are your brewers consistently brewing stacks of 1 plant (tip - brew plants that aren't edible raw to maximize brew size)?

Not sure about that...but I'm using plump helmets because I haven't diversified my agriculture yet. That might be a big part of it.

Those two make me nervous. I have two farmers, and it's really too many I just have the second in case the first somehow dies. One legendary farmer can out-grow 30 professional and hundreds of dabbling. Numerous growers just spread out your growing exp, you only need a few, trust me.

As for secondary crops for brewing, try small plots of cave wheat and sweet pods. That will let you grow brewable plants for three of four seasons, works well.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 29, 2010, 10:45:33 pm »

There's got to be some kind of conspiracy going on in my fort. The only dwarves elected Mayor have been my two starting miners.
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 3842