Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110280 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9780 on: January 15, 2011, 10:31:15 pm »

No!  Just when I was about to have glorious death fun in my fortress, I discovered a freak SPOILER vein which only had one layer before a 10-ish z-level opening into SPOILER.  And ALL THE BLOODY SPOILERS spawned right underneath it.  My formidable military didn't stand a chance against three dozen SPOILERS all at once...  And now my FPS is down to 0, since there are 91 SPOILERS charging to my fort proper.   :'(  I'm hoping to wall off long enough to make some SPOILER equipment for my adventurer to find, but I don't know if I'll last that long (whether it's my patience or the fort that I'm talking about)...  Well, this will be a good time for the adventurer to try!

Edit: Well, that was a fail.  I've drafted everyone except the Steelsmiths into the military to Zerg Rush the SPOILERS.  Also, just realised that my fort was 30% children/babies before the Great Calamity, and now that proportion is closer to 50% and still rising.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:00:50 pm by Savolainen5 »
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9781 on: January 15, 2011, 10:32:27 pm »

Still working with the Deep sea mining rig...

Several more individuals have gone insane, including one berserk child who punched a dogs brain in before being devoured by about twenty other untrained dogs, and my Homicidal Woodcutter has been named Mayor. (The last mayor jumped off a cliff and drowned.) After a long battle against the tantrum spiral it seems that I have at long last won out. The tally of the dead was incredible and of the 83 dwarves present at the height of the fortress' might only 11 remain. Since having somebody make 70 or so coffins and finding places for all of them would be a total drag I ordered my dwarfs to dump all corpses off the pier, not elegant but certainly effective.

Repairs were made to rig, this was difficult since due to an incredibly efficient design combined with a perpetual motion reactor that made it all but impossible to restart after its power source was cut. Thanks to ingenuity and tenacity of a single dwarf however the rig is now pumping again, the dwarf has been given the job title of Technocratic void engineer and is now in charge of most of the rig's functions.

Pretty much everyone is either a hardened individual/getting used to tragedy who copes well with stress and heals fast at this point, or they are dead.

Go dwarves, go.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 10:59:36 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9782 on: January 15, 2011, 11:46:10 pm »

Made a backup save of my desert fort so I could do some !!SCIENCE!!. After an eternity of set-up, one crundle and seven falling miners, my first experience with DF2010 health care, a swarm of 16(!) rats mobbing my entry (seriously creepy but apparently harmless), and a hunter mysteriously stuck in a tree, the experiment is complete!

Interesting things I learned that weren't part of the experiment:
• It takes a long time to fall 50 Z-levels.
• Dwarfs break when they fall, glass items don't.
• The healthcare system works! :D
• It works even better if you dedicate your medical dwarfs to medicine and nothing else. ::)
Crundles are f---ing annoying!

Results: One windmill operating at full power while submerged in 7/7 lava on Z-level -138. (Only one level above the magma sea. I probably could have done it IN the sea, but I didn't want to bother with the major engineering required to clear a spot for construction. The deep shaft was bad enough!)
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9783 on: January 15, 2011, 11:54:42 pm »

As you'll recall from my last post, a Human Siege showed up!
Full of bowmen that just hung out in a block and did nothing. But then...

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

So the goblins and the humans start fighting. Whee!

But then...

AN AMBUSH! THE SKULKING VERMIN!

Kobolds show up! Now all I need are elves and everyone can have a big battle royale right in front of my fort.

Or a Dwarven Caravan, its about that time....

Screen shots or it didn't happen.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9784 on: January 16, 2011, 12:14:03 am »

Operation Starscraper has begun. I am going to build a massive lay pewter pyramid as high as my embark allows.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9785 on: January 16, 2011, 12:30:08 am »

Royal 22X22 Mausoleum for our military commander finished: 4 aliminium statues, steel armor stand/weapon rack, platinum coffin and gold door. A hundred marble statues coming up. Her husbands grave is right next to hers. The other three have it pretty good as well, with their
platinum sarcophagi.

Dwarven merchants arrived. Again I am forced do "loan" their goods, as we have been occupied with sieges and epic battles
rather than the crafting of childrens toys for the merchants to spoil their city dwelling brats with. I'm beginning
to think we are entitled to their goods.

Aah, look at them go... the entire populace of Hammerdance is storming the deconstructed trade depot. The merchants just stand there. No wonder, as they must have heard about the 4 wild hurricanes that is our military. These guys fought of two entire sieges by themselves. One of them is one-armed, but still carry shield and axe. That's payment enough. Sacrifice.

The actual fortress is starting to look pretty nice. It's marble walls can hold off any siege. No traps.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9786 on: January 16, 2011, 01:04:04 am »

Well, reclaimed that fort i posted about yesterday. When i was looking in the "Group name" menu thing in the embark screen, you know what the name was? "The new standards". I didn't do any editing, re-randomizing etc. at all. I think the game is reminding me that i NEED TO GET MY A** IN GEAR this time around.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9787 on: January 16, 2011, 01:43:23 am »

As you'll recall from my last post, a Human Siege showed up!
Full of bowmen that just hung out in a block and did nothing. But then...

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

So the goblins and the humans start fighting. Whee!

But then...

AN AMBUSH! THE SKULKING VERMIN!

Kobolds show up! Now all I need are elves and everyone can have a big battle royale right in front of my fort.

Or a Dwarven Caravan, its about that time....

Screen shots or it didn't happen.

Then I guess it didn't happen, as I neglected to snap shots of the melee.

How about this though?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9788 on: January 16, 2011, 01:53:27 am »

-snip-
I love this story!
Is it ok if I put it into my Word doc for awsome DF stories?

TheHaunted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9789 on: January 16, 2011, 06:11:57 am »

Well, in my fort, I have finally seen why caverns are dangerous, besides forgotten beasts of course.  A cave crocodile and a draltha were able to enter through the pet-forbidden floor hatches and reached the dormitory.  12 dwarfs gone, blood everywhere, yet no tantrum spiral because those slaughtered were all friends with only each other.  It doesn't bother me too much either, because I couldn't figure out anything for those dwarfs to do anyway and was wondering about the best disposal method.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9790 on: January 16, 2011, 09:21:38 am »

Planemountain has been cleansed with water. Only five dwarfs remain, 4 soldiers trapped in their barracks and a carpenter who happened to be out cutting trees. I shall survive with the migrants next spring and hope there's a miner.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9791 on: January 16, 2011, 10:03:33 am »

1) magma industry - for first time ever
2) well - see above
3) working hospital - see above

The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9792 on: January 16, 2011, 10:43:04 am »

I'm about to get, probably, my second legendary stonecrafter and am also about to fail the first mandate my mayor issued because I can't seem to produce drums.

Edit; yep. Mooder made a copper bracelet and is legendary stonecrafter. My first legendary stonecrafter also made a trinket like that.
Metalcrafter who is being punished (before I had a jail) was glad to have sentence reduced and she is, luckily, quick to heal. And luckily not my legendary weaponsmith.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:22:06 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9793 on: January 16, 2011, 11:14:40 am »

I love this story!
Is it ok if I put it into my Word doc for awsome DF stories?

Sure, the great fortress of boatpuzzled should be immortalized somewhere. Out of curiosity is this on a webpage or is it a personal collection of Dwarf stories? If it's public I want the address, reading stories about forts while strange is a great to get new torture techniques fascinating fortress designs.   
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9794 on: January 16, 2011, 12:39:39 pm »

First, some background.
Vucarasiz Thatthil, or Urnflashes of Autumn, is situated in a peculiar biome including aquifers, a river, freeze during winter and part of autumn and spring, and half a haunted influence.
I had first intended to make the aboveground part of the fortress completely out of rock salt, but the very impressive amounts of ice I could very easily gather come winter excited me, and therefore, I instead decided to go for a half-rock salt, half-ice look. This way, Vucarasiz Thatthil gives off the very nice feeling it had been founded eons ago, but the harsh weather turned it into ruins, and walls of hard snow and ice formed over the leftover bricks. A relic from the ages, reclaimed by courageous dwarfs, who put all their energy in carving labyrinthine fortifications out of the ice, giving all the more power to the flying bolts, and a roof... cough, sorry, I got carried away.
So. Now, some facts.

Fact: I like playing with water very much, and started making a pump stack next to the river for future use, when I would figure out what to do with this.
Fact: the terrain is quite mountain-y.
Fact: pumps were already linked to a power source when I started building the stack, figuring that if any changes were to be made, I'd just have to wait for the cold season to stop the whole thing.
Fact: I forgot to build one tiny wall before building a pump, 5 z-levels above the ground, near the fort. Whoops.
Fact: pumps are damn efficient, and a non-negligible part of the map is now flooded and/or covered in mud. Whoops².
Fact: the cold season came before I bothered to stop the infernal device from the power source, as the fountain washed away all fools desiring to do anything around there.
Fact: did you know that floodable constructions (stairs, fortifications) can be encased in ice and effectively "destroyed"?

End result: there are many intricate forms made out of ice around half my fortress. And I have to dig out some stairs and many fortifications, THEN build them back.
But it's very pretty. Now, I know what to do with the water: controlled waterfalls/flows that give out a more authentic feel to the fortress in winter.
Ironically, a kitten had fallen in the river, and it only survived by standing the best it could right under the pump. Now, everything is frozen, but the kitten isn't encased in ice because its tile was the only one in the riverbed that isn't frozen solid. Better job at surviving than the guys who fell and drowned.
Question: if I smooth/engrave the cast ice walls (as opposed to the artificial, hand-built ones), will they still be there when the temperature rises again?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 651 652 [653] 654 655 ... 3842