Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110244 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9765 on: January 15, 2011, 10:43:33 am »

A good ways into my first year on a new embark, it's a nice half savage beach, half Joyous Wilds Shrubland, warm.
The over-all goal of this is to set up a breeding pen of slightly modded Sea Serpents and Unicorns. (Cheating here, I made the sea serpents a bit less scarce: 4 in a biome instead of 1, also trainable.) So far the entryway is being dug out, and instead of the usual complaints of Urist McDwarf saying he needs more beds and chairs and better booze, most of my dwarves are ecstatic, with a few happy ones, and some content dwarves as well. How did I do this magicness?

Well, the waves hitting the cliff that my wagon is parked on created quite the mess of mist.

A happy day for dwarfs in Bonedagger. Literally.

I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:56 am »

So huh in conclusion, marksdorfs' AI is a crapshoot. But when it works, man, does it work.
Dont ever use kill orders with mark dorfs and they'll go pick bolts instead of going melee.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: January 15, 2011, 11:05:47 am »

Planemountain, 23a fortress 5th Sandstone, Year 2

We have struck magma! Luckily, our miner's expierence (legendary) kept the magma from overflowing. That, or we struck magma on the ground. Either way, no loss of miner! And magma forges and stuff!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: January 15, 2011, 11:23:49 am »

A GODDAMNED THIEF FACESTABBED A HUNTER/MARKSDORF
FUCKING SPAH
... he stepped on a cage trap.

He shall be the first to test my drowning/freezing execution pond.
"Hey, look! You shapeshifted into a dead guy!"
*!!evil grin!!*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #9769 on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Backed to spr-1051 autosafe from 3 year old fort because of error in layout of one of the first stockpile rooms that went unnoticed. Again. And by error I mean "door was 1 tile off to the right".

Savescummed two first migrant waves to get male:female ratio to 20:3. Just because.

Grizzly bear wandered onto the map. I draft dwarfs in military only after they become legendary+5 miners. I only had my would-be militia commander, one of the First Seven, ready so far. So I draft him. Wait some time for him to pick up equipment. Then order him to kill bear before it eat one of the haulers. Then check his inventory to see what he picked up. Battle Axe, Mail Shirt and nothing else. I cancel kill order to give him time to dress properly. He ignores it and proceeds towards the bear half across the map. Then he kills it. Without been injured. I think I will name him Bearserk.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 06:35:21 pm by anqxyr »
The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: January 15, 2011, 05:50:17 pm »

I earlier gave my captain of the guard a very low density warhammer to avoid fatal injuries. I accidentally melted some masterwork weapons and my best weaponsmith tantrums a bit. This, of course, warrants a beating and my captain happily strolls to the smith and... caves his head in with a single blow. Sigh.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: January 15, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

My fort, well, I've lost track of how long it's been around.  At least a decade...  In any case...

I have a dwarfette here.  She has 8 children.  I mean, yeah, the more dwarves the better, but shoot, she carries around more than one baby at a time!  And she's a siege operator.  She used to have 9 children.

I'm not having enough fun, so I'm gonna start a war with the elves and burn their precious wood armours in my volcano sacrifice pit to Armok.  Should be a good time.  (For those who would cry "un-dwarfiness!  Why weren't you at war from the start?!" I say, I'm a very conservative player and often abandon fortresses well before this point.  Take that!  :P)
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: January 15, 2011, 06:17:43 pm »

Planemountain, 23a Fortress 7th moonstone Year 2

A dabbling marksdwarf shot a bonobo in the eye.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: January 15, 2011, 06:22:00 pm »

As you'll recall from my last post, a Human Siege showed up!
Full of bowmen that just hung out in a block and did nothing. But then...

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

So the goblins and the humans start fighting. Whee!

But then...

AN AMBUSH! THE SKULKING VERMIN!

Kobolds show up! Now all I need are elves and everyone can have a big battle royale right in front of my fort.

Or a Dwarven Caravan, its about that time....

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: January 15, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »

Here it is. I shall miss you Planemountain. As the civilians try to recover the !!Miner!! who couldn't get out of the way of the magma. My most succesfull 23a fort. WAIT! I will reclaim the fort with my squad of crossbowdwarves and swordsdwarves! Station them in their barracks...

EDIT: As the farmer who "recovered" the "wounded" miner burns to death while carrying an item to the finished good stockpile, a batman sprung from ambush. Great.

EDIT2: No more magma, a wounded farmer, and two dead batmen later, the fort is (relativly) safe. Luckily, batman ambush one was caught by a miner, batman ambush two was only a few blocks away from marksdwarf. No, wait. As I wrote, more batman action.

EDIT3: This fort is doomed to eternal burning. Really. Two more burning dwarves! One of which is my last miner!

EDIT4: JHLL has started a fort recently. JHLL has witnessed death recently. JHLL had to endure the decay of a fort recently. He doesn't really care about his fort anymore.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:09:16 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: January 15, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »

just had my biggest accidental cave-in to date.

Now i have to wait 5 seasons to for the lake to freeze to recover the dwarfs bodies  ::)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: January 15, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »

I keep getting attacked by goblins and my military is pathetic. There's no water on this map, so most injuries are a death sentence.

The upside is that this was a seriously messed up embark, and there are two enormous adamantine pillars sticking up out of the ground; and more besides. As such, adamantine is my most common ore (or at least the easiest to find) and so soon I will be cranking out a buttload of adamantine armour. I already have thirty adamantine spears... I chose spears because I figure about 50% of the attacks will be edged (don't know if that's how it works but..)

It took me a long time to set up my magma forges/smelters. For some reason, in lieu of water, my cavers were entirely filled with magma. But here's the thing; the magma sea is draining somewhere, and I couldn't dig a spot for my forges quick enough before the magma sea drained away. Eventually (and with much fretting) I dug out an awesome area to catch magma in and set up my forges. Unfortunately I lost quite a few of my best miners in the process. The replacements are doing a piss-poor job; fort expansion has slowed to a crawl whilst they train up in mining. But, I'm getting there!
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #9777 on: January 15, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »

Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:23 pm »

I have a lot of big ideas for Dreamnets, but the FPS is really holding me back.  Perhaps I shouldn't have breached the first two caverns when I had no intention of doing anything with them.  I think this is the first time I've ever had single-digit FPS for more than a brief period of time.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: January 15, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »

It turns out that Holy Tears of Armok's Fury works wonderfully.
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 3842