Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109935 times)

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9690 on: January 12, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »

Currently running a fortress where my defenses are going to be magma fertilizers. Utilizing and weaponizing pumps to create a blanket of magma. All I'm waiting for is the cat to be on cool down, and for a fellow SCIENTIST to arrive.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: January 12, 2011, 03:18:21 pm »

This.
I'VE FINALLY DONE IT.
Do I get internetz?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »

nice going!
I've done it without militia or caveins. try that  ;D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: January 12, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »

nice going!

Dude?! How?
I had that trap corridor, and 2 or 3 got through but my hardened champions slew them XD
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: January 12, 2011, 04:00:44 pm »

WARNING! RUNNING DF FROM YOUR FLASH DRIVE WILL CAUSE IT TO SLOW DOWN ~5 TIMES AND WILL PROBABLY DESTROY YOUR FLASH DRIVE BECAUSE OF WRITE/REWRITE CYCLES!

(I learned the hard way  :'()

My plan was more 'Copy Fort onto thumb drive, move up to desktop, copy fort Off thumbdrive to Desktop's DF Folder, load fort.'

Trying to have a fort with 100+ dwarves on a AMD Turion is not a good idea, but on a Core 2 Quad, maybe...
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: January 12, 2011, 04:04:02 pm »

nice going!

Dude?! How?
I had that trap corridor, and 2 or 3 got through but my hardened champions slew them XD
there are ways. spikes but those are cheaty. so are atomsmashers (but those don't work)

automatic obsidian caster (i'll put up diagram if ya want), ballistae across lots of fortifications (can be diagrammed), war dogs (not very well, but not militia), routed siege XD, etc.

WARNING! RUNNING DF FROM YOUR FLASH DRIVE WILL CAUSE IT TO SLOW DOWN ~5 TIMES AND WILL PROBABLY DESTROY YOUR FLASH DRIVE BECAUSE OF WRITE/REWRITE CYCLES!

(I learned the hard way  :'()

My plan was more 'Copy Fort onto thumb drive, move up to desktop, copy fort Off thumbdrive to Desktop's DF Folder, load fort.'

Trying to have a fort with 100+ dwarves on a AMD Turion is not a good idea, but on a Core 2 Quad, maybe...
that works
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: January 12, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »

there are ways. spikes but those are cheaty. so are atomsmashers (but those don't work)

automatic obsidian caster (i'll put up diagram if ya want), ballistae across lots of fortifications (can be diagrammed), war dogs (not very well, but not militia), routed siege XD, etc.

Hmm I have 3 legendary siege operators :P could have tried that, ahah the seige would be sickkk
automatic obsidian caster? Holy shitttt :L

Serio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: January 12, 2011, 04:35:58 pm »

Year 557(Year 7)
Population 228
Spoiler: Combat Log (click to show/hide)
For some inexplicable reason, a Wrestler threw a tantrum. He tore off his toga, and threw it at a child. Then he proceeded to storm down the stairwell to the dormitories, and beat to death his captain. As if that wasn't enough, when the guard came to drag him to jail, he broke a great deal of bones in the guards body, so he had to be admitted to the hospital. Now the Wrestler will be rotting in a cage for 194 days. I suddenly consider the Urist Time Capsule a very good idea.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 04:48:53 pm by Serio »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: January 12, 2011, 04:37:00 pm »

OH GOD OH GOD

So a dozen elfs show up riding giant jaguars. No problem, the trap gauntlet will take care of that.

Then a dozen more show up on giant leopards. Hm. How many traps have I got in that trap gauntlet?

Then a dozen MORE show up on giant jaguars. Uh. This might be a problem. I've only just started building Tinwonders a danger room, so my military right now is a bunch of people who do parades in the hall-

Then a dozen MORE show up on giant leopards. Oh shi-...

And then the goblins arrived.

Needless to say the elves are no longer quite a problem, but the goblins pretty much finished off my "military" in the process. Cue tantrum spiral! Dwarf Fortress, putting the "FUUUUUUUU-" back in "FUN!"

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: January 12, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

I think you're doing your trap gauntlet wrong.

A LONG while ago, I had my spiral entrance down to the base, with a good 5x5 block of green glass serrated discs, one disc per square.

A DARK PRESENT HAS ARRIVED (Or something, I haven't been sieged in forever, so I don't remember)

12 goblins and 12 trolls. SHHHHHHHIZzix. I've never even seen trolls before now, and I'm scared.

And then I look at the rest of my map.

That's the first party.

There's two other parties, one with a bunch of bow-goblins, and another with goblins mounted on giant toads.

The first troll reaches my discs. And they all follow him to their doom. Their red, misty, serrated doom. A few made it through, but my untrained axe dwarves took care of that.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: January 12, 2011, 05:11:21 pm »

It's worth noting that Traderained is my first fortress to last long enough to see a forgotten beast.

Well, time to sic my half-trained underequipped army on this thing, and failing that there's always lavabombing it using dfhack.

EDIT:
One method of defeating nearly combat-invulnerable Forgotten Beasts (those whose bodies are made of rock, for instance) is to cause a Cave-in on top of them. They'll be killed by dropping either natural or constructed walls or floors on them.

One method of defeating nearly combat-invulnerable Forgotten Beasts (those whose bodies are made of rock, for instance) is to

nearly combat-invulnerable Forgotten Beasts (those whose bodies are made of rock, for instance)

(those whose bodies are made of rock, for instance)

Well, fuck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:21:26 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9701 on: January 12, 2011, 05:23:15 pm »

Reclaim - 50 FPS at start. Great.
Note to myself - coffins have to be constructed, not only stored in furniture stockpile. This way I have to find only parts of bodied.
EDIT: First ghost.
EDIT2: And second. Lalala.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:30:16 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: January 12, 2011, 05:28:39 pm »

I think you're doing your trap gauntlet wrong.

A LONG while ago, I had my spiral entrance down to the base, with a good 5x5 block of green glass serrated discs, one disc per square.

A DARK PRESENT HAS ARRIVED (Or something, I haven't been sieged in forever, so I don't remember)

12 goblins and 12 trolls. SHHHHHHHIZzix. I've never even seen trolls before now, and I'm scared.

And then I look at the rest of my map.

That's the first party.

There's two other parties, one with a bunch of bow-goblins, and another with goblins mounted on giant toads.

The first troll reaches my discs. And they all follow him to their doom. Their red, misty, serrated doom. A few made it through, but my untrained axe dwarves took care of that.

glass is bugged - basically it randmly chooses a set of material properties, meaning you could get lucky and your game decides glass is sharper than obsidian and harder than steel, or about as sharp as bone and tugh as featherwood... looks like you got lucky, as throatlabor has plenty of glass traps which tended to bruise, and nothing more.... [then i collapsed everything into the magma sea just for giggles]
This is a blank sig.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: January 12, 2011, 05:42:17 pm »

(Is this glass bug new? I was playing this about 5, 6 months ago, so it might not have been there. Anyways...)

As I type, or not, as a migrant wave showed up...

Now, as I type, I have opened the source to my cistern for the second time in this fort. The first time I opened it, I quickly realized there was no method (19 more dwarves? Ouch, poor souls) to remove pressure, and the water would just flood the fort above through the irrigation holes, so I shut it off. I quickly started adding hatches too all of the irrigation holes, so that I could get my farms up and running.

Recently, I got bored.

The irrigation holes are all open, the flood gates protecting the well from pressure, and the staircases, are all open. The cistern will flood.

It'll just take a while.

And while my fort is slowly filling with water, (None of it has made it anywhere other than the cistern yet... It's kind of a big cistern.), my dwarves scramble around to put all of the animals into a cage at the bottom. They will all drown. Except for the cats, that is, they'll safely flee the water with their slaves.

Eventually my fort will be nothing more than a puddle.

Time to go eat something.

(Cistern 5.2/7ths full)

Edit: Cistern just now finishing filling. Elves are entering the fort. I'm putting a lid on it, they're going down.

Edit 2: The over flowing has begun!

Edit 3: Odd. It seems that caged animals are immune to the negative effects of being submersed in water for large periods of time.
Also, if I thought waiting for the cistern to fill took a while... But anyways, we got our first kill! The water pushed one of the planters down one of the irrigation holes into the cistern. To bad he didn't have a cage to save him.

Edit 4: Oops, another one fell down a hole and drowned. Poor trapper.

Fearing the same fate, a few dwarves have run to what was going to one day be the main food stockpile. Their logic was sound enough, if they go to the lowest level, there won't be any holes to fall in, and drown...
The water is already pouring in.

Edit 5: More migrants?! Well, they're stuck outside.

Another Edit: Well, they're all dying of thirst now... Funny, because some of them are drowning.
I'm kind of sad that the elves haven't even bothered to go insane and start killing everything.

Oh well, at least there's the pretty miasma to watch.

Lucky Seven: Did I say they weren't going insane? Oops. Two beserk, two melancholy. One of the beserkers just got shut down by a planter. Didn't even stand a chance.

Numero Ocho: Well, the elves didn't really do much. But that camel, whooo baby, is it on a killing spree. It's already killed the elves, and the other camel based competition, I think it might actually be able to kill the fort before the flooding does. It's as if they don't even have enough will power to fight back... I wonder why...

On a side note, one of the elves that went beserk, managed to get cornered by an untrained dog, and knocked unconcious. The dog has been feasting on her brains for a while now. She's still alive.

Final Edit: Oh Blowditches, the Crown of Tresses, bless your soul. You killed so many, and then you killed some cats. You were truly a hero to me. Sure, the flooding didn't accomplish much, but it was certainly a nice catalyst to all of this.

I'd give you Blowditches full kill sheet, but the game just crashed. On to my next fort! I smell... Unicorns! And maybe modded merpeople. I want to butcher them...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:14:25 pm by Skelodwarf »
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9704 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:07 pm »

I just had a migration wave that tripled my fort's population.

Hooooooo lord. This ought to be fun. I need a much bigger dining room...
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 3842