Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122950 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #945 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24:16 pm »

Got sieged by goblins today (I need to find a way to streamline this 'execution' thing before I run out of cages). Among their number are not one, but four dwarves. One is a legendary swordsdwarf... and the others are guards (one with a crossbow). I didn't know Goblins even employed guards.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: January 15, 2010, 05:30:07 pm »

You sure those aren't your guys that got knocked unconscious during the fight?

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: January 15, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »

(I need to find a way to streamline this 'execution' thing before I run out of cages).

Don't waste your time doing what I just tried.

Untamed tropical shrubland map, with a stream. Or minor river, I forget. Point is, there are aboveground pools that never dry up, and one of them is infested with carp. Six of them, in an area of about 20 square tiles.

Naturally (naturally!) I turned this into my execution pit. Built a platform 3 z-levels above it — think 10-meter diving platform — and tested it by pitting off a puppy.

Apart from the fact that the job got cancelled like five times due to carp interruption — seriously, guys, you're 30 feet above the pond here; man up — it worked well. The puppy (poor puppy) was stunned when it hit the water, and the carp tore it to pieces.

I set up a bunch of cage traps in front of my entrance and waited.

An ambush came, a goblin got trapped. Yay, time to test out my carp pond of dooooooooom.

First of all, getting the cage built on the platform was a pain in the BUTT because of all the interrupted-by-carp cancellations. THEN the dang carp didn't even have the decency to kill the goblin when I dropped him. He just drowned.

All in all, very disappointing. The platform remains as a monument to failed experiments, mostly because I can't get the dorfs to take it down because the fish scare them too much.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:19 pm »

You sure those aren't your guys that got knocked unconscious during the fight?
Quite sure. They have goblinoid names, were next to the goblins when the siege began, and ran alongside the goblins without getting slaughtered. One got caged and I'm wondering if I can convert him to Dwarfism (no such luck for the swordsdwarf I'm afraid)

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: January 15, 2010, 06:09:33 pm »

Waiting for more trees and plants to grow by the river in the 100% woodland I started in. I have no wood/plants left! I've only been here 2 or 3 years...

I've built a wooden fort over a river. :D
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: January 15, 2010, 06:11:55 pm »

My mayor just ran up and tore apart the sasquatch I was trying to capture. With his bare hands. I really wanted that one for my new arena.  >:(

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: January 15, 2010, 06:25:04 pm »

When pitting creatures, build a bridge over the pit. It doesn't matter if the bridge is open or closed, your dwarves will still get the creatures into the pit. the nice thing is that when the bridge is down, it blocks LoS with whatever is in the pit meaning your dwarves wont freak out as much.

Also, if dwarves appear with your goblin raids, then it means that some dwarves were kidnapped from either your fortress, or another one. You cannot rehabilitate these dwarves, and it is best to treat them like a regular goblin.

+bonus points if you find that one of the hostile dwarves was a kid stolen from your fortress, and you get their biological parents somehow involved in their death.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: January 15, 2010, 06:33:01 pm »

King arrived, and as soon as I provide him with everything he needs, I will abandon this fortress.

But it is nice, to have a successful fort for once :D

And this King, as far as I know, has no interesting charactoristics...

But I have given him rooms FULL of metallic armor stands / chests / etc. etc. etc.

Not bad, I think... he is the only one with metallic furnature except for the dukes consort, whom demanded a bithmus Bronze armor stand in his dining room... What happens when you abandon the mountainhome though?? Anything interesting??

The Queen (I think it is the Queen...) has been given an artifact weapon trap. By this I mean, an artifact weapon, inside a weapon trap made from an artifact mechanism. It is needed, as the same room has 3 different room-types, so it has a 25% modifier, or something insane.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: January 15, 2010, 06:36:06 pm »

So, I just chose a random DF Folder (I have about 7 with all different set ups), and reclaimed on a random old fort... It has adamantine. Me and my 7 dwarves went in, checked the place out, all clear - alot of ash and burnt up grounds, but all clear.

I reclaim all the dropped shiz on about 8 levels, then a Spirit of Fire pops out and sets everybody on fire.

One guy runs away, grabs his Steel armour, and attacks! He is now alone, and just destroyed his bedroom. His bedroom is the one for the king, heh. Ass.

EDIT;
And, I just remembered this fort. Last time I tried to reclaim it, everybody but a man and woman died. the woman was greviously injured, and the guy was left alone to farm for food and fish for ..fish. The greviously injured (All broken limbs and all that jazz) was then claimed as the new Expedition Leader.
They were doing fine, till a Giant Eagle swooped into my courtyard and destroyed the guy.

Sigh.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:38:40 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: January 15, 2010, 07:37:43 pm »

I decided one of my forts was boring and going nowhere, but it felt wrong to just outright abandon it.

So I recruited every dwarf in fortress and stationed them in the still-filling magma reservoir! ;D
My dwarves started leaving, so I unrecruited the leader and had him pull the level that controls the floodgate to the magma reservoir. He then immediately waltzes in and the gates close. After a long struggle, I get the clerk to wall him and the last dwarf in the magma. The last one in active duty dies...

But I notice that the squad hasn't been annihilated. : o
The clerk dies and the last dwarf in the fort(who was resting off a wound he got from the magma) is a miner.
Named Urist Palacedaubed........
;D

EDIT: All I have to say... is FUCK YOU ZOOM-TO-BUILDING.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 09:02:19 pm by Jack_Bread »

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: January 15, 2010, 08:09:54 pm »

My king still hasn't shown up, (it's been 2 years since I met his requirements for arrival), his private building is complete, and fully furnished with platinum and steel furniture, and an artifact tower cap bed.
He has a private statue garden now too, with a bunch of 3-colour gem windows around it, and no roof so he won't get cave adapted. all of this around 3 masterful nickel silver statues. (working on getting a platinum masterful statue  for the centerpiece of the garden)

I also came across my HFS.. my population went from 214  to 174, (wasn't exactly prepared) and is now down to 172 thanks to  a wounded dwarf never getting taken to a bed and the meloncholy dwarf that happened to be her lover.
I lost all but 2 of my champions, all of my speardwarves, all but 1 swordmaster, a few members of my fortress guard (marksdwarves) 2 royal guards (hammerdwarves), and all my non-guard marksdwarves.
I'm amazed there wasn't more of a tantrum spiral (most of my population is back up to content)
all of this, before I even had time to activate "strand extraction" on one of my dwarves (I had only dug up a couple of tiles before I hit the HFS, until then I had been avoiding it to get the king the hard way I decided he was late enough though and went for it once the season changed back to winter)

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: January 15, 2010, 08:34:26 pm »

Well, I just delayed fulfilling the king's requirements by a year. Next autumn, I will send out patrols to root out the ambushes that invariable hang around the dwarven caravan's entry point. Then I can dump a couple of gold trinkets onto them...
...and get my elf king. Sigh. From what I understand an elf king never completely integrates into dwarven society.
On the plus side, my aboveground defensive structures are in place and my marksdwarves are patrolling the ramparts. I should probably move the controlling levers inside so that ordering the civilians below ground does not leave my drawbridge-gates open.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 15, 2010, 08:42:51 pm »

With some experimentation, you may be able to use Companion to manipulate the Elf a bit. You can hostile or berserk him, causing him to trigger a cage trap (or use a cave-in) or you can do any number of things to get your claws on him, then you can move him around.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: January 15, 2010, 08:53:25 pm »

Got sieged by goblins today (I need to find a way to streamline this 'execution' thing before I run out of cages). Among their number are not one, but four dwarves. One is a legendary swordsdwarf... and the others are guards (one with a crossbow). I didn't know Goblins even employed guards.

In my experience, this happens with conquered civs.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Magil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 15, 2010, 09:05:49 pm »

Third dragon so far arrived at my fortress.

Third dragon so far to get captured in a cage trap, bringing my running total of captive megabeasts to three dragons, a hydra, and three titans.

Now to tame it...
Quote from: Mystic Mongol
Turns out most of the nobles had the same room. Moreover, this same room was apparently bedroom, office, and dining room. I don't know what they thought was in this room... I do know the doors were all locked, so none of them could get IN.

Also, apparently there was a fire inside, and had been for months. I feel I should investigate this at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 3842