Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123097 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #930 on: January 14, 2010, 01:24:37 pm »

Well, I finally got back to working on Wavehandle (IE- Awesome dining hall) after some time of ignoring it. I guess, when I'm not working on Bloodfist, I'll tinker with this one to get some ideas.

I finally learned by accident the negative effects of not labeling your levers (they were floodgates, but still). I quickly remedied that. Gotta love the (N)otes function. I associated the levers by direction of what's effected. If unseen, then a symbol that represents what is effected. I also marked a few historical landmarks for the heck of it.

Using DFTherapist, I re-organized my workforce to be a little more competent. I also designated some traffic zones to maximize tree removal with minimal floor damage when collecting, as well as doing crop rotation for the wood supply for the fort. Not only that, but now everyone is a pump operator so they can use the gym inside the barracks. I call it the "Hans & Franz Pump-U-Upinator". Now most of the fort has a membership.

Noticing some of my military is rather lax; I've demanded some iron warhammers at least get produced; and with the wood supply (since the place lacks magma), produce enough charcoal to allow the manufacturing plant to work at a decent rate.

My masons are working on making many more tables and chairs, and finishing up that grand dining room. I think there are lingering complaints of a lack of chairs.

Despite the history of the place, most everyone is ecstatic, many are plain happy, and few are just plain content. No red. Oh, and my livestock is at full stock (8 cows, 8 bulls. I know, spore-reproduction, but I like to retain some sort of plausibility). Got a ton of veal for the fortress after a calf-boom.

I also placed some freshly trained war dogs on the outside perimeters of the fort. 1 at the trap front door (one more for the nightmare run), 1 at a blind corner of the frontside of the fort. And at least 1 at the rear gate.

I don't think anything is going inside for awhile. Plus, I'm gaining surplus. Let's hope I get a merchant sometime soon. Oh, and there have been 2 births as well.

There are possible plans for improving the execution tower to truly me menacing. by adding another 10-Zs to it, exploding the victims on contact with the floor. I still have a bit of a prisoner issue (how many are stored). I already placed plenty of them in my zoo that surrounds the kennel.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:34:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: January 14, 2010, 02:06:02 pm »

I love the notes feature. Even when I'm not labeling levers it's great for when I can't remember what stockpile/workshop was supposed to go where, or for plotting out a perfect circle (or what have you) for constructions.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: January 14, 2010, 04:27:28 pm »

well started on my third ambitious project for the fort, and my booze supplies aren't even stable yet. Trying to make an outdoor farming area near the Fort, which the terrain nearby is all rock and the brook is in the corner of my map. Gahh!
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

mal7690

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a prerecorded message.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: January 14, 2010, 06:52:59 pm »

My isolation fortress is being sieged by two different nations of humans.  I am currently scrambling to complete my Corridor'O'Traps(TM) with no elves to nick cages off of.
Cat heads, cat heads, roly poly cat heads,
Biting at the dorf necks, now I have dorf heads.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: January 14, 2010, 07:47:57 pm »

Sweet mercy, was just making bedrooms for my starter dawrves and found magnetite.
Thought id just follow the vein. Its huge, a whole oval of it.

:o
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: January 14, 2010, 08:08:08 pm »

Magnetite is like that, yeah.

It's awesome. Finding even one cluster pretty much leaves you set for life financially, if you use it right.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: January 14, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

In "Autumnpaddles", I'm trying my hand at partially underwater fort for the first time.  I think I've found just about the perfect place...  It's a woodland peninsula that has a magma pipe and sand, and it's on a freshwater lake with some depth (5 z-levels) that freezes seasonally.

VisualFortress images in spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My plan is to give every last dwarf a bedroom with an underwater view.  So far I've got the main dining room, the mayor's three rooms, a couple offices (treasurer, manager) and about 35 commoners' rooms.  It'll take a few more winters to get the rest...
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:18 pm »

Wow. Nice, Moosey. I've never really seen an underwater fort come to fruition, but it looks awesome with the windows and such (especially from the outside).

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #938 on: January 14, 2010, 10:03:24 pm »

I just tried out the Mega Mix Mod, with the addition of my mod to allow you to play as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That was a very, very strange fortress.  Every five minutes, "I've struck What?" or "A What convoy has arrived?".  All those seeds for plants I have no idea what to do with, too.  It was Fun.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: January 14, 2010, 10:31:27 pm »

I arrived at my perfect embark locale- hfs, magma pipe, chasm, river, flux stone, no aquifer, and suitable woodland and farmland.

I had my designations done, my wagon marked for removal, temporary stockpiles in place, everything was in order.

I unpaused.

In less than a second, Beethoven, my expedition's cook and brewer, was attacked by a giant mole. Fortunately, it was quickly killed by one of my war dogs. Unfortunately, Bee suffered a broken leg.

No problem I thought. I'll have my base excavations done soon, and I'll have a bed and bucket to heal him in no time. At least that's what I thought until I saw the band of troglodytes on the ridge. My carpenter, Korsakov, was out cutting trees... he successfully fought off one and then was later killed by another. (that trog's name is now Scalyward)

Alright, things are a bit more tricky now... I'll just have my appraiser take up carpentry for a little while. Seemed like a good idea, that is, until the ratman broke his arm. Fortunately, the wound wasn't so serious that Mozart couldn't work, but he had trouble getting around.

It's been quiet for some time, now. Mozart is healed up, though Beethoven is still in bed with no signs of healing. I've found suitable farm land in the mountain, and if I don't suffer any more attacks, I should be able to get on my feet within the next 2 years.

It's been a rough start.

...Oh, did I mention that the RNG gave me "Boatmirrored" as a name? I saw some elephants roam through, not too long ago...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:42:57 pm by Horseplank »
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: January 15, 2010, 08:55:24 am »

So, ive restarted on a terrifying surroundings map: a woodland bordering a swamp, with a nice aquifer running just bellow a sand layer. Yup, no rocks. To make things even better i used the default dwarves instead of preparing for the journey. Its now Winter 202 on Inethkoman. On arrival a promising pack of Foul Blendecs was spoted on the distance, so i made my first priority to one of the most ancient defenses in existance: the moat, while stocking up on wood and herbs on the vicinities. After such was sucessfully accomplished i isolated myself building just a wooden door / small bridge / tiny wall acess over the moat. Such wouldnt deter undead, but its quite effective against some premature cases of fun. So, the next phase was building the basic infa-structure. Digging through dirt is hell fast, so in a glimpse i had setup a barracks, meeting hall, aquifer pool (the bread and butter.. or should i say turtle-heaven of my single fisher dwarf), four stockpiles (food, refuse, wood, goods), farm area and every single conceivable workshop possible surrounding the stockpiles in individual rooms. After expanding on the barracks side for individual living areas acess and on the meeting hall side for future nobility i was ready to start venturing on the world, that in a fraction of the time it took to build my last fortress. The two first weaknesses on rockless areas were soon evident: lack of mechanisms and fire-safe blocks to build every needed trade.

So, the first year was spent furnishing the underground with wood, sending out lumberjacks when the surroundings were safe enough. Spider webs are also abundant and highly prized on evil maps. I set up a basic trading post for foot acess and started clearing the acess for future wagons. As the first, much needed emigrant wave showed up i took a more aggressive role, training marksmen the hard way (hunting) after some wrestling practice, fully equiped with turtle bone/shell plus leather armor and wooden buckler/xbows/bolts. Werewolves stoped being a concern as they were shot on the ground by the hunters, proving to be a very valuable resource on evil maps along with all the silk making totem/silk/plant crafts/lowest quality armor-weapons at the moment the base of my exports. As a trade caravan got me some much needed rock, the ash from woodburning gives me all the materials i need, and ive started to move towards the syrup/glass/soap/etc... wings of the economy. My smelter is ready to receive all the goblinite and koboldinite soon to come, and now i deal most in trade imports for rocks (mechanisms), cheap raw materials, exotic pets and the odd item dwarves may need to satisfy their moods. A surface keep with a fortified terrace, a proper drawbridge and moat is there to receive traders, wich champions stationed at the doors. My main fears right now are dragons (i have plenty of wood around to replace yet by glass or ash) or a skeletal goblin siege *pouts* as i still have a poor trap setup and arrows effectiveness can be poor in such circunstance.

Speaking of Blendecs: when i was expanding the entrance to feature a bridge and wagon access to the depot, a pack got close, just when all the standing guards decided to take a damn nap (and i did had two different squads of champion/elite wrestlers guarding the area). So, as i placed my ranger squad (hunters) in active duty, they chased some haulers inside the moat. As i didnt want to risk my (militia woodcutter/miners) in conflict since they had developed some nice skills ive waited patiently for the marksman closer by to reach the zone. The blendecs attacked the horse that was roped in the entrance to spot for thieves, who fought for an incredibly long time. Although he died he avoided dwarven casualties for the marksmen soon were there to make pincushions out of the beasts. I was rather impressed. Kudos for the heroic beasts that have prevented much injury against these little drunkards in all my games thus far.

Next step: turning my roads/keep into a fire-safe zone/installing ballistas/developing weapon traps.
Lets see what these next years will bring...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: January 15, 2010, 10:25:04 am »

Well this is interesting. I've got now, on my map, next to Zuko the red Dragon also Athathi Nafiecanó Eliye Vafice, Athathi Takenstrengths the Skies of Drinking, the Blue dragon on my map. Both of them refuse to get any nearer to my fort. I'll have to try and catch them. And I've just had an ☼idea☼. Should I have caught them, I'll give Zuko an Athathi a clear glass block sphere. On the top of the sphere, there will be an opening. A hatch, maybe. And a way to Half of it will be filled with the associated liquid. Zuko will have magma, Athathi will have water. To stand on, They'll have a fully ☼engraved☼ cast Obsidian circular platform. I will give them my useless artefacts, evenly spread according to wealth. And I might even give them the coins my Tax Collector will mandate, again evenly spread. Every now and then -most likely after a siege, to celebrate our victory- there will be sacrifices. Each will have an unarmed orc/goblin/elf/human to devour. The death of important Dwarves will also be remembered by ways of a sacrifice to Zuko and Athathi.

But firstly, the Igloo. It's coming along. Maybe I should add another masonry. I've got two legendaries working on microcline blocks nearly all the time. I think I'll add another masonry. and the orcs just arrived and slaughtered the Dwarven caravan. Bugger.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: January 15, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

More and more housing is made.  More and more the immigrants come.  Curse my reluctance to lower the population cap.

Oh well, they'll be useful hauling stone.  I edit most of them to have the name 'guard'.  Guess where they are going when my hauling jobs are done....

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: January 15, 2010, 02:42:01 pm »

Yesterday I saw something happen, in my fort. I dont think it really happened that way, I actually think my mind is making up the lacking parts and all to make it that much more awesome. Anyway, here is what happened:

It began, like all the good stories, with a goblin siege. I had some weapon traps up because I was slow at getting the fortress as a whole up to speed, and I thought, wth, lets buy some time with those overpowered traps.

Twas a big siege, and their 3rd squad got through. My awesomely designed marksdwarf fortification setup didnt work out. At all. A few dwarves died, no biggie, but still I was (and am) pissed I couldnt figure out, for the life of me why the marksdwarves didnt fire.

So I put the melee squad on the final defense point, praying they could hold it. Well, more than that, they kicked some goblin ass real good.

And thats when everything went surreal. Only one military dwarf, who also happened to be a mother of a baby she was (of course) carrying around all the time, decided its time to drive off the fleeing invaders for good. Not sure whether she was actually armed and armored yet. (I think not, tbh - hence the layer of weapon traps)

She chased them all through the corridor of doom back to the surface, with the gobbos running off in different directions, scared shitless. One of them tried to outmaneuver her, but actually failed and got dangerously close. Maybe 3 tiles distance or so.

The next few seconds had my jaws dropping. Because it _looked_ as if she was throwing her baby approximately in direction of the goblin. But it wasnt a failed attempt to use the kid as projectile, no, it actually looked as if she was freeing her hands for the attack.... because almost the same moment after the baby got airborne she leaped at the goblin "with GREAT VENGEANCE and FURIOUS ANGER", tore/punched/kicked/sliced/whatever the goblin into several chunks with one attack and then she sidestepped back into the trajectory path of the infant and caught the baby before it hit the ground, all in one quick, fluid motion.

Now I dont think DF can actually do this, but I tell ye, that's what I saw, and it looked AWESOME.
Made Neo's bullettime moves look like geriatric underwater gymnastics.

edit; if it's true, however, it seems dwarven mothers actually DO care for the safety of their offspring. That or she was displaying rule of cool behaviour. Guess I'll never know.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:49:43 pm by Puck »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: January 15, 2010, 02:46:41 pm »

I started a fort on a mountain chosen by default to do a test on personalities. I saw that the main personality I wanted to test only had numbers on 2 dwarves, who had it at about 30. :(
I started screwing around with Dwarf Companion on it. It crashed. Reload and I looked around.
I saw an exposed large magnetite cluster with a lot of exposed, scattered platinum clusters. :O
I start actually making it a fort. :)

PS: Three annoucements occured at almost the same time.
"The stonecrafter Urist McHusband and the Trader Urist McWife have married. Congratulations!
They have organized a wedding reception at Well.
Stray Dog (Tame) has given birth to puppies.
An elven caravan from Yequeeletha has arrived."

Whhyyy? :(
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:04:43 pm by Jack_Bread »
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 3842