Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107686 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #9150 on: December 25, 2010, 01:50:20 am »

Just had my first siege, and it was a resounding victory for the trap setup. The goblin leader didn't even make it past the first weapon trap before dodging into the pit on the left. After he hit the ground and talked with the troops they retreated, but of course left him to die. I didn't even use my military except to execute the idiot, but this was a good chance to test things. I only really need to seal off the defensive walls surrounding the fort and build a drawbridge along the path to them and I can call myself invincible to all building destroyers. If I choose to be, I suppose. I'll have a decently skilled and armed militia soon enough.

Only two casualties; one of the animal sentries and my patience with this Dobar asshole that was still trying to drag a pig shoat into the cages, spamming me with forbidden area messages.

Strangely there have been no ambushes or successful thefts prior to this, and none of the thieves were goblins.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9151 on: December 25, 2010, 07:10:56 am »

Finally just got migrants, 21 of them :D
They are sorely needed.
Still need an armor/weaponsmith though :(
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: December 25, 2010, 07:26:33 am »

Friggin' ghosts sharing the love and miasma, thank Armok for the slabs. More people are getting unhappy. Another one in prison because those morons didn't build the brass statues fast enough. Rebuilding Zuglar the Oar of Yearlings' giant statue, and deconstructing/rebuilding part of the mist generator because of it. Lost my best engraver to a slip in the abysses. We're in winter and the caravan just left, so next year, must offer a lot of crap to the caravan to get a capital, and finish building the gold roads. I have the odd feeling a siege will happen at the worst possible moment and slaughter all the masons...
... oh, and another victim to infection. I wish the dwarfs would remember how to make soap.

tl;dr: feelin' like I'm on the very slow road to the fortress crumbling to its end, and I hope I can make it epic.

EDIT: I apparently just had to ask. I'm seeing blood where there shouldn't be any, and a lot of dwarfs and pets are suddenly getting numb and/or unconscious. Including the count. Yay! FunŽ!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 09:50:39 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: December 25, 2010, 08:25:13 am »

My fortress is at z level 147, the cavern is at 130, and the magma sea I just discovered is at 120.
XD Looks like I'm finally gonna learn how to make a pump stack.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Saetar33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: December 25, 2010, 10:06:12 am »

data\init\d_init.txt, and look for the line
[POPULATION_CAP:200]
Just change it to something much smaller. I think the first two waves (summer and autumn of year 1) are hard coded to happen anyway, but after that it should stop sending them.

Is world regen nescessary?
No. Init files never need regen.

So the pop max ACTUALLY has an effect on the game?  The game doesn't just ignore it?
"Dug too deep...What the creep! What the hell is that?? Oh WHY'S IT COMING STRAIGHT AT US! Oh Urist IT'S THAT CAT . . " Magma bells outtake.    "Again, THIS HAS BEEN AGREED BETWEEN 2 RPers! EILWOOD DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZER I REPEAT DO NOT FIRE YOUR LAZOR!"  I'm Eilwood.  :3  Nice to meet you too.  "BAAAAAAH"

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9155 on: December 25, 2010, 10:06:47 am »

yep.
don't doubt it! try it!
if it doesn't work, fill it with magma.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9156 on: December 25, 2010, 12:48:08 pm »

Play testing for next release.
Iron : 350
Flux : None (brought 40)
Spoiler : 400, ~20z down.
Upright spoiler : Yes
Intensified FD : Yes
Embark threat: tigermen
Final destination : Heading there
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: December 25, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »

I have magma in the first cavern. Time to flood the world!
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: December 25, 2010, 03:12:13 pm »

started a new fortress.
My expidition leader, who is fond of giant cave eagles, saw fit to adopt 10 of them. On the other hand, he's pretty much ecstatic now, so if i can keep up the eagles i'll eventually be able to completely ignore all his mandates and he won't even make a peep.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: December 25, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

In a noble's tomb with an artifact coffin, there is now the engraving of the deadly fall of a Forgotten Beast "after the death strike of Onul Nutswire". What had actually happened was that the giant snake ate a few dorfs, followed Onul into some exposed stairs, ripped his hand off, he tried to punch it back without ever touching it, it dodged, and cracked its mythical skull on the floor 4 z-levels below. I henceforth called the farmer "Serpent Slayer" even though he was never credited the kill, but apparently, the game is aware of it. I love Dwarf Fortress so much.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: December 25, 2010, 04:17:58 pm »

Update on the Orwellian fort known as 'The Safe Citadel'.

The first name that came up for my first military squad is 'The Pillars of Liberty'. It was made to be.

The outer compound, with fortified walls, drawbridge and moat, and kennels / refuse pile / outside farms is done, although I had to redo it because the game crashed and lost me four hours of work. I now have it autosave hourly.

I plan to give my first two military squads full steel armour, with maces and shields. You know, for that authentic riot police look. The fortress guard and sheriff will have crossbows, steel helms and breastplates, and leather boots / gloves / cloaks. All military will have midnight blue pig tail fibre fatigues underneath.

No Goblin attacks yet. Hopefully they'll come soon.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: December 25, 2010, 04:25:54 pm »

embarked on a frozen ocean that's not connected to land.

'nuff said.  :D
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: December 25, 2010, 07:02:43 pm »

I think I had a dwarfgasm.

Melbilonshen, threatened by centaur and goblin ambushes, now have a lot of wounded militia guys. It's early spring, elves arrived and sure it is time for annual ambush. The situation is grim... and suddenly, Litast, a low-grade weaponsmith, goes fey!

He gathered a lot of iron and few flint blocks...

And... five days later...

He created this:

Dwarves now sing that Terstum Dasel is a glint of hope for Melbilonshen, and the morale went up high, even amongst unhappy, bedridden recruits.

I will make sure that Litast and his daring wife will get best fucking bedroom in whole village.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9163 on: December 25, 2010, 07:11:36 pm »

I've been forced by the constant crashes to switch from yearly autosaves to seasonal. Not that it matters; it can't go a season without crashing.

I've tried four times to erect walls and finish the traps, but to no avail, before I'm finished with a small portion of the work it crashes.

I'm going for a walk. When these dopes figure out how to build a wall without setting the universe on fire, I'll try again.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: December 25, 2010, 07:21:04 pm »

Update on the Orwellian fort known as 'The Safe Citadel'.

The first name that came up for my first military squad is 'The Pillars of Liberty'. It was made to be.

The outer compound, with fortified walls, drawbridge and moat, and kennels / refuse pile / outside farms is done, although I had to redo it because the game crashed and lost me four hours of work. I now have it autosave hourly.

I plan to give my first two military squads full steel armour, with maces and shields. You know, for that authentic riot police look. The fortress guard and sheriff will have crossbows, steel helms and breastplates, and leather boots / gloves / cloaks. All military will have midnight blue pig tail fibre fatigues underneath.

No Goblin attacks yet. Hopefully they'll come soon.

INGSOC, NeoBolshevism or DeathWorship?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 3842