Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123059 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #915 on: January 13, 2010, 10:24:22 pm »

@Fishbulb: I'm pretty sure they don't, in fact, nothing ever grows on muddied constructed floors. I've heard that you can put farms on muddied constructed floors, but never did it myself.

Anyways, the development of Systemwire (randomized name, heh) is going well, although there is one small problem that could become a big one, the humans don't have a guld rep apparently. I tried to check in legends but couldn't find anything on their guild rep, maybe that civ never had one.

Its still the second year, so maybe when I get richer or get a mayor, they'll come, but I haven't had a human guild rep just not show up with the very first human caravan. I did check the units screen and the corpses list just to be sure.

Underground trees and shrubs grow on muddy ANYTHING as long as it's subterranean.
Or just on underground soil.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: January 13, 2010, 10:34:20 pm »

If you want a gameplay wise reason to the goblins leaving after hitting the skele ratman, they probably ambushed the thing in the first place because it was the first viable target they spotted.  As for leaving after one or more of them may have taken a good number of wounds.  From what I observed goblin ambushers seem to flee if they take a certain amount of damage as well as casualties, I have had it happen more than once that a group of ambushers leave after taking a few non fatal bolt hits from a hunter.

Of course it's better explained this way!
Goblin leader: Damn they have undead here?  Well hell, this fortress is doomed.  A little bit of good luck will have an army of undead woodland creatures overthrowing the fortress for us. Lets just come back next year, if we play our cards right we'll get the loot without having to lift a finger.  Lets go get wasted and find some cuteboldskobolds to pick on in the meantime.

Goblin squad: Yaaaaayz!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 13, 2010, 10:53:56 pm »

Kobolds. v_v
THEY JUST WON'T STOP APPEARING! D:
I managed to get my 2 recruits to kill a few, but now I'm down to one since a kobold got the drop on my recruit while he was standing in my trap hall. :\

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: January 13, 2010, 11:08:40 pm »

I have decided I haven't got enough Olivine. Since the only other stones on the map in significant quantity are Mica, Gabbro, Microcline and Granite, and I want a liiiitle diversity in my coming project... I need to correct this immediately.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 14, 2010, 12:33:05 am »

Too many damn dwarves, not enough space.

On an obviously entirely unrelated note, my dwarven diving board may be slightly more lethal than it should be.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: January 14, 2010, 02:14:31 am »

I have something new going on in my fort!

It's a tiny fort, just 7 dwarves. No major plans. No orcs. Just trying to eek out a living right now and get the basics dug out. One of the dwarves struggled to kill an alligator, which was kinda cool. I have some engineering experiments to run and I need a nice quiet boring place to do it. I've got some water and magma to play with. It's really amazing how fast the seasons click by when you aren't running at 7 FPS.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 14, 2010, 03:47:22 am »

This is odd. I detected an ambush on top of my execution tower where I had a baby chick used as a lookout. Some sand raiders actually went up there to kill it on their own. Is this just like a minor quirk with ambushes and sieges?

Seriously, the hell?

Edit: BLARG, and in the same ambush my elite Axedwarf died after lemming rushing 5 bowmen. To his credit, he dropped one of them before he died.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 04:01:50 am by Untouchable »

Hannibal Barcalounger

• Bay Watcher
  • The Armchair General
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 14, 2010, 04:36:31 am »

I'm about 3 years into my first fort. I keep hearing about tantrum spirals and frustrating reclaims, but thanks to the tutorials I haven't even approached Fun™ yet. Maybe I just picked a really easy embark; I don't know.

I think it helps that the first mood I got produced an artifact table, so between putting that in my dining room and keeping steady supplies of booze, everyone is ecstatic to be working in Nethkib.

Defenses are feature-complete, thankfully before they're needed. I hit platinum and magnetite fairly quickly in my exploratory mining so I'm busy producing coke from 2 veins of bituminous coal. My next main push is making satisfying rooms for nobles, and trapping some of the elephants wandering across the map so I can have a good leather, meat, and bone industry too.

The trapping is tougher than I thought it would be; I dug a few ditches between ponds and then put traps in the gaps, hoping to be able to funnel the elephants into the traps. My axedwarf patiently herded one elephant all the way across the map, only to get too close at the last minute, provoke a fight, and blind the poor critter before it smashed his upper body, upper left arm, lower left leg, and lower right leg, then walked 4 steps west to the edge of the map and freedom. :( 
Days of frantic effort can save you hours of careful planning.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:02 am »

2nd year and the most exiting thing happening was a bunch of Rhesus guys running in and grabbing my stuff (including that nice masterwork arrow). I gotta tighten my defences a bit.

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 14, 2010, 08:21:12 am »

year 13 at "Mirrorallies", and basically I'm decorating while I wait for the king to get here, I met his requirements in winter when I built a steel road (taking me from about 400 road value[bridges] to 13,000, the king wanted 5000) and I'm hoping he arrives before next winter (currently early autumn).
while I wait I'm engraving my main entryway, nobles rooms, the crypt, the kings burial chamber,  and the path leading to the structure containing the king's other rooms.
I recently drained my underground pool (snakemen pulled in a swordmaster with masterpiece steel plate(and chain) armour and sword, so I sent in my champion speardwarves to get revenge (and some peasants to grab the dead swordmaster's gear, of course)
the area is now dedicated to silk collection (and functions as a small secondary tower cap farm)
also, I've gotten up to 6 dwarves working exclusively  as wood cutters now, to make coal, to fuel some smelters, because I'm trying to get enough steel bars for a 5 level high steel wall and this map has no magma, and I can't seem to find any coal veins [not that I've looked that hard yet]

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:15 am »

Bloody human guard took a detour on his way out of Crestedwhipped and killed the giant toad.
So I caged the guild representative and push him off of the tower of asplode.

I miss my toad :(

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 14, 2010, 08:46:42 am »

My treeless mountain with HFS and magma (somewhere) actually spawned very close toa Giant Eagle.

It then flew off the map and my hunter resumed murdering eleventy-billion camels. I have so many bolts...
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 14, 2010, 11:08:21 am »

Will grass grow on muddied outdoor constructed floors?

I don't know about floors, but it does grow on top of constructed walls if they're muddied.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 14, 2010, 12:45:13 pm »

I almost have my massive crafting complex complete.  Quite pleased to how it turned out.  It's a good compromise between aesthetics and production streamlining.  All I need to finish it is open up a line from the magma pipe that will run my smelters and feed into the obsidian factory.  But I don't want to do that until I have the waterworks portion of the factory operational.  What I want to do is get the waterworks set up (fuels the obsidian factory, drowning chamber and underground towercap farm complex).  What I need to do is get my housing straightened out.  Only have enough rooms for about half my fortress right now, plus no noble housing.  The mayor is getting upset, the philosopher just arrived and the rest of that rabble can't be far behind.  Sigh, got to put off the fun stuff till later I suppose.

As a side note, this is the first time I've got the spawn in the middle of nowhere bug.  Half my immigrant waves (and there's far too many of them in my opinion) are spawning in the middle of my map.  It's a bit disconcerting.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 14, 2010, 01:06:03 pm »

The hammerer arrived today. And as the standard procedure goes, I ordered his hammer dumped. And then I went to look just who he is.

Solon Vabôkvunom, Solon Orblongs in the Common Language, likes Basalt, Blackmetal, Aventurine, the colour carmine, elven corpses, gauntlets, rings and ballista parts. He absolutely detests bats. He can handle stress. He is very friendly. He is relaxed. He appreciates art and natural beauty. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is candid and sincere in dealings with others. He often does the first thing that comes to mind. He needs alcohol to get through the working day. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

Nothing peculiar, but his awesomeness level certainly went through the roof with the bolded parts. The first is quite obvious why. The second, well, I can just imagine:

Solon Vabôkvunom: "Hey, Urist! How's it going? Everything going all right?"
Urist McPoorsodwhodoesntseeitcoming: "Yeah, all's good here. My wife's pregnant again, but I haven't seen her in a year."
Solon: "Haha, yeah. That's how things go. How's your health? All that hauling you do must have some bad effects, I mean what's that you're carrying?"
Urist: "It's a Cinnabar mug. It menaces with spikes of Lead."
Solon: "Wow, sounds toxic."
Urist: "Yeah, I guess it kind of is. Say, I've heard the Queen is discontent?"
Solon: "Yup. She ordered some Marble items. apparently, they didn't make it."
Urist: "Wow, so there's going to be a punishment then."
Solon: "Yup. I'm ordered to give the poor sod 10 hits with my hammer."
Urist: "Oooh, I hate to be the guy on the receiving end of that."
Solon: "Yeah, about that..."
Urist McPoorsodwhodoesntseeitcoming has been struck down.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 3842