Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969830 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8955 on: December 21, 2010, 05:05:31 am »

don't worry, just keep pissing off elves and humans. also, for kobold ambushes, leave out some presents for them.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: December 21, 2010, 05:41:02 am »

Another of my 40d forts, this one is most fun.

In short, chasm and cave river I have, thus a flurry of bad things pouring into my fort. Last time, a batch of naked mole dogs, lead by a Giant bat, slaughtered seven of my dorfs before we have won.

Now, lack of alcohol and miasma everywhere is more of a problem.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: December 21, 2010, 08:09:42 am »

It's been so long since I built any traps, I'd completely forgotten that goblin snatchers lack trapavoid. Until I found my entrance tunnel jammed completely full of minced goblin.

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:40 am »

Obsidian 259. Abbeywhite, run by the Portal of Monasteries, ends its ill-fated second year.

Constructed on sacred ground--no mining within the abbey walls, except for burial chambers--so all mining and quarrying have to be done south of the brook, and the stone hauled overland. This is good for no-one but the Goblins (current loss ratio: 17 dwarves to 6 goblins).

Fortunately none of the hammer-wielding Warrior Monks (any migrant with hammer skill) have arrived yet to criticise our slow progress.

Meanwhile, two of the original seven, the lovers miner Deler Gorgeclasps and carpenter Lokum Inkybristle, have grown tired of the savage surface world and eloped to the caverns with a spare anvil and a bin full of weapons, where they hope to carve out a new, safer, life.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: December 21, 2010, 09:42:11 am »

Had my first real taste of combat in the game of dwarf fortress, past experience went as far as sparring and archery practice. Chose a new location after abandoning that fort.
My soon to be epic military just ripped a wolves ear off after throwing him by the third rear toe. Nuff said.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:23 am »

A great white wall has been built, protecting Bookold from ambushes. We have at least 30 occupied coffins in the catacombs, due to the immigrant death room, and expect many more to fill the vacant coffins.

The danger room is in place but the militia is yet to be drafted. All we need now is a blacksmith, to forge gold and platinum furniture.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: December 21, 2010, 09:56:57 am »

One hydra and one FB made of coral at the same time.
No casualty.
Man, I'm getting good  :D
Now, I haven't had a real siege in ages...

EDIT: awww man, a cave crawler ruined my perfect record and ate 3 people. They were almost useful, too.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:29:36 am by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: December 21, 2010, 10:26:13 am »

Currently testing the new plants I put in to check they brew into lovely spirts for the xmas party :D

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:03 am »

Someone's pet cat somehow managed to fall off the drawbridge spanning my ~15 z-level canyon despite there being a wall along one side and no combat messages related to it. :( It baffles me how this happened. Can they fall when pouncing on vermin? Bah.

On another note, my new fort's first Beast appeared in the caverns: a quadruped made of green glass with a "hunter for warm blood". Odd special ability, never seen that before. While I was still debating whether to rouse my militia, send them down, dig a a cavern entrance and let 'em have at it, a local cave swallow people civilization jumped the thing and killed it, taking only a few casualties in turn. Rather disappointing.

And I tested my "patient-maker" lever which drops some useless peasant two z-levels to give my doctor something to practice on. That turned out to be more dangerous than intended, though: five broken bones, which developed three infections in short order. Grr. And of course the medical team couldn't be arsed to respond for almost a month despite having all other labors turned off. Medical kills need a higher innate priority.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: December 21, 2010, 11:05:13 am »

... Medical kills need a higher innate priority.
seems like it doesn't it? jk

actually i think I should implement this myself... hm...
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: December 21, 2010, 11:38:24 am »

My drowning/flush trap works near perfectly, of course when the water tank is full this happens:

But that can be worked out when we stop the pump stack.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: December 21, 2010, 11:53:43 am »

Hmm I just slaughter some more wolves :)
Don't suppose you know how to make your butcher get off his ass and fetch the corpses so I can butcher them?
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: December 21, 2010, 11:56:44 am »

they have to be in a corpse (read: refuse) stockpile. just make one nearby. (edit: the shop)
your hunters should have "return kill" as a job at least some times.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:00:04 pm by TolyK »
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: December 21, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

The dead have to be very close to the shop. Put a refuse pile right next to it an turn on refuse hauling.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: December 21, 2010, 12:00:54 pm »

its low-priority though, so be sure to remove all other hauling/work/etc. for the butcher and helpers (temporarily at least)
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 3839