Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969815 times)

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8940 on: December 20, 2010, 09:27:57 pm »

Started a fort on rephikul's Intensifying Mod.  Man, I am SO low on stone.  All's I got is shale, and not a lot of it.  Then again, I DID wall in 80% of the map.  For now, I have about 20 (total population 42) idle masondwarves who are waiting for my miners to produce significant amounts of stone.  Then it's time for a large, above-ground dining hall made entirely of shale, whoooo.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:20 pm »

What good is 5000 booze if no one is allowed to party?

I'll let 'em party when they're finished building a tower to pierce the heavens airborne raider defenses.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: December 20, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »

More news from Pickhollows, weird news.

Firstly, in one of my previous posts related to the fortress Pickhollows I mentioned that one of my dwarven pig sows somehow has a high observer skill. They don't have any natural skills and don't have [CANLEARN] or similar tags, so this begs the question of how she just spotted a kobold thief about 23 tiles away, and two minotaur child molesterssnatchers behind that kobold. I'm left to wonder whether she should be tethered to the entrance or the roof... I think her range is increasing too. Maybe I can just toss her over the entryway with grates to have staring contests with the goblins. They can see through green glass windows without getting shot right? maybe that's what I'll use. I can't afford to let her die, she's worth almost as much as a legendary miner if I set her up properly.

Second, my militia commander prefers to consume fire imp. This badass and the steel helm he's grown attached to will not be removed from this post.

I'm also trying to sell a stack of 500k donkey meat to the dwarven traders. It may never happen, it's just too damn heavy!

And then the game crashes. Wonderful.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:25:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: December 20, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »

Where in the name of Armok do you get 500k donkey meat?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: December 20, 2010, 11:52:51 pm »

Where in the name of Armok do you get 500k donkey meat?

From a fat ass donkey I'm guessing. I have over 1 million donkey meat total and only in like 10 different stacks, this one being the largest and the smallest being like 40k. I think the game became duplicate-raw corrupted after genning when I tried to edit a few values in my mods that I had made mistakes on, mostly the thread-bearing vermin spiders, but i can't figure out what I did that could actually mess this up so badly.

On another note, how'd you like to try this comfortable horse spleen tissue loincloth and cloak set? It comes in a cow fatty chest decorated by donkey pancreas tissue rings! Or how about a masterwork horse fatty bolt?

Yeah, the problem seems to be most prevalent among the domestic pack animals and cows, which I don't remember editing in any way. Only the donkeys provide exaggerated amounts of meat and fat. I got a buzzard lung tissue figurine of a cavy demon too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:56:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: December 20, 2010, 11:55:37 pm »

I'm having all sorts of lovable creepies molesting the entrance to my fortress after I opened up some caverns. I'm trying to secure a water source, but I can't for the life of my understand how people set up massive pump stacks to get lava to the surface.

This is one of my favorite fortresses so far. It's set up with a volcano, the first time I've ever had such a save, and the surface is LITTERED with goodies like Gold and Platinum.

I've got 24 rose gold statues waiting for deployment. Terracotta army statue garden, anyone?

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: December 21, 2010, 12:09:00 am »

Part 33 of my LP is up.

Ain't no part like an Earth Golem party.

Obviously this was a result of my modding. Apparently any species with either can learn/can speak (probably the later) is capable of holding a party. Weird. Either way, I'm more concerned about the fact that I still can't keep dwarves from getting killed. But at the same time, my military can dispose of almost any threat. What to do, what to do.
Why don't you wall of or patrol the caverns? That seems to be the biggest issue.

Walling off the caverns is a dirty elf tactic for cowards. Besides, if I had walled of the caverns I wouldn't have caught any animals.

And I can;t have my squad patrolling because it's SWIMMING TIME
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: December 21, 2010, 12:28:39 am »

Immigrant squads Ale and Booze please report to the drown- I mean swimming pool.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:51 am »

A masterful engraving named "The Ignoble Long Dung"...what the hell, guys. 
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: December 21, 2010, 12:54:31 am »

Four hours of painstaking, careful fortress design, meant to create a subterranean labyrinth in the style of a Dungeon Maker Hunting Ground dungeon, for me to visit in Adventurer mode. One second of computer glitch resulting in a crash. No autosaves. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8950 on: December 21, 2010, 12:56:19 am »

I accidentally cleared a construction that opened up my fortress to the last cavern layer before HFS, and let loose some mischievous hunters. This cavern layer had an FB that I was hoping to sick my Axedwarves on. Instead, a hunter/fisher decided he would one-shot the FB's brains out and go on his merry way hunting bugbats. It took me a few minutes to realize the reason why he was perched on top of a wall watching Dwarves go past and hunt every living thing in the cavern was because he was dead.

Needless to say I felt cheated.

Edit: S'all good. I accidentally unleashed HFS and watched my fortress get completely overrun by HFS and a Goblin Ambush.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:20:46 am by Traece »
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8951 on: December 21, 2010, 01:15:37 am »

I'm having all sorts of lovable creepies molesting the entrance to my fortress after I opened up some caverns. I'm trying to secure a water source, but I can't for the life of my understand how people set up massive pump stacks to get lava to the surface.

I just finished my first. Took almost 5 ingame years. At 7 FPS.

My fort is currently dealing with another magma-pressure related flooding incident. No casualties yet after the inital miner, but this is going to quite effectively ruin my current megaproject. Unless I try to make the lava-spitting head of ARMOK come out of a lava lake instead of the ground like it was previously going to.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8952 on: December 21, 2010, 01:18:03 am »

I'm reclaiming Dreamnets a second time.  The first time I abandoned it, the second time it withered due to tantrum spirals and such.  Third time... I expect a bloodbath.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8953 on: December 21, 2010, 02:10:18 am »

I have finished preliminary walling off my 2x2 embark with serpentine blocks. I'll finish until it's at least 2 z-levels above the highest part of the ground. Then the towers get decked out in the remaining serpentine blocks.

Then, I'll start building my complexes inside out of petrified wood blocks and this random white stone.
and then my castle megaproject.

and I have 2 rivers below me. nice!
aquifers with multiple biomes. nice!
feather wood, temperate forest, and low-vegetation areas. nice!
camels kicking shit out of the old guys after reembarking... uh... oh, outside walls. nice!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8954 on: December 21, 2010, 04:11:37 am »

Got a danger room running, a long corridor of masterwork sawblade traps, and a perfectly contained dwarfosphere with no outside contact except the trading depot, which is carefully managed for defense.

Unfortunately, no sieges, or ambushes even. A few goblin snatchers, but I've resorted to slaughtering the elves needlessly to keep my combat dwarves from losing skills. It's starting to get boring, I may end up playing with magma to stem the boredom.
Pages: 1 ... 595 596 [597] 598 599 ... 3839