Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966116 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8925 on: December 20, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »

Why the shit do I have more migrants again?
197 dwarfs!
Must use my new dwarven launcher. That launches dwarfs.
If it won't kill all the useless ones, that will certainly give the hint to other migrant candidates, plus it'll give my staff extra training thanks to the survivors... if there are any.

In other news, deconstructing the giant statue of Zuglar the Oar of Yearlings, god of children and many bodies of water. Stonesense gave me a glimpse at what it truly looks like, and it is horrid. Must do it all over again, and bigger, too. At least, with the destruction of the monument, I'll have most of the stones I need right where I want them.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8926 on: December 20, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

The Cyclops Nemen Illuduxen Ithru Thran has come! A Giant humanoid monster with a single eye set in it's forehead.

Well, Nemen Illuduxen, good luck getting past my Dragon Sentries. Come at me, Bro!
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: December 20, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

I just started a new fort, in a savage Temperate Coniferous Forest. My fort is named 'The Safe Citadel' with the original seven being 'The Communion'. I plan to imagine it as a dorfy version of City 17 / The Combine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Like these guys, but shorter.

Anyway. I got a 'A section of the cavern Has collapsed!' message as soon as I embarked. Zoomed into about twenty levels down, you know the drill.

I checked the units screen, and I saw in the deceased section:

1 Amphibian Woman
    2 Amphibian Men
    1 Zombie Amphibian Woman

What happened down there; I wonder; in the blackness beneath the world? How did the curse of undeath makes its way to an innocent Amphibian civilisation? Were those four listed two couples? Did one catch the virus from - I don't know, an infected fish perhaps - then later die and attack the others? Was the rest of the tribe infected as well? How many? Was the cavern collapsed on purpose; perhaps to keep the undead away or crush them? If so, then tragedy decided to strike and crush living and dead alike.

Perhaps, though, not all the undead lie still. Perhaps more remain down there, their ghastly croaks echoing amongst the stalactites.

I plan to venture down there, one day. With dwarfs armed with face masks of and breastplates of steel, blue dyed clothing, leather boots / gloves and crossbows, I will solemnly push into the deep darkness. Any remaining undead will be purged.

They may be not be dwarves, but they deserve peace at the very least.

Armok wills it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:42:49 pm by Mantonio »
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8928 on: December 20, 2010, 06:48:48 pm »

Keep us posted, that sounds awesome.

I wonder how many interesting stories like this go unnoticed by the world because people don't post them...
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: December 20, 2010, 07:28:31 pm »

Part 33 of my LP is up.

Ain't no part like an Earth Golem party.

Obviously this was a result of my modding. Apparently any species with either can learn/can speak (probably the later) is capable of holding a party. Weird. Either way, I'm more concerned about the fact that I still can't keep dwarves from getting killed. But at the same time, my military can dispose of almost any threat. What to do, what to do.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: December 20, 2010, 07:35:09 pm »

There are crundles and elk birds crawling up out of the caverns faster than my dwarves can build new cages for the traps. They haven't actually killed anyone yet, though, so that's not so bad. I'm just worried that the traps will be unprepared when a giant cave spider or a cave crocodile decides to ruin my day. Which reminds me I should probably rig up a trap system capable of stunning and caging forgotten beasts if they try to get inside. Or just a system to drop them into the magma-stream below the fortress.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8931 on: December 20, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »

I wonder how many interesting stories like this go unnoticed by the world because people don't post them...

I wonder that too.

And I'll post more when it happens. I just hope my head mechanic doesn't throw a trantrum

The the Urist McFreedwarf is angry, Urist McFreedwarf is not your friend.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:04:15 pm by Mantonio »
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: December 20, 2010, 07:40:06 pm »

I'm currently building a flooding defense system.

Two stacks of 3 pumps each draw water from a brook up a 3 z-level high block of chalk, which is about 20x10. The water goes to resivoirs with floodgates facing the bridge. When enemies walk on the bridge (made of floor tiles, mind you) a lever is pulled that raises both the bridges, one on each end and traps the enemy. Another lever gets pulled that releases the water being stored, which cascades down 2 z-levels and rushes off the side of the bridge, preferably taking the enemy bastards with it. They fall down a 10 z-level pit, where they will either A) fall to their deaths or B) drown in the water gathering at the bottom. The water then drains off a smooth-carved fortification map border, then we open a door and collect the goblinite and corpses.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #8933 on: December 20, 2010, 08:13:03 pm »

I wonder that too.

And I'll post more when it happens. I just hope my head mechanic doesn't throw a trantrum

MOD IN CROWBARS.

DO EEET. :P
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: December 20, 2010, 08:41:14 pm »

I wonder that too.

MOD IN CROWBARS.

DO EEET. :P

I wouldn't quite know how to do it, but I suppose it can be done. Just modify the mace so the end is not as thick and a little pointier.
A hero of renown?
BILLY!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:49 pm »

I have a stack of 10645 rotten donkey meat. It's worth 21290DB even rotting away! If only there were some traders around... I really need some more barrels, i've got a little over 810.5K meat total. Where the god-fuck is this all coming from!?

There's an un-barreled stack of donkey meat down there with 573082 units in it! :o What the hell happened to the donkeys to make them do this!? Some poor bastard is trying to convert a 4k stack of donkey fat into tallow. We even have a native-mad *horse fatty bolt* which I'm guessing is part of a stack of *horse fatty bolt*[30001] or something equally ridiculous. :P
Barrels. Now.

I also have aseveral donkey and horse pus barrels. what?

My stark-raving-mad self must be catching up with the depressed me...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:22:44 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: December 20, 2010, 09:02:10 pm »

I just started a new fort, in a savage Temperate Coniferous Forest. My fort is named 'The Safe Citadel' with the original seven being 'The Communion'. I plan to imagine it as a dorfy version of City 17 / The Combine.

Like these guys, but shorter.

Anyway. I got a 'A section of the cavern Has collapsed!' message as soon as I embarked. Zoomed into about twenty levels down, you know the drill.

I checked the units screen, and I saw in the deceased section:

1 Amphibian Woman
    2 Amphibian Men
    1 Zombie Amphibian Woman

What happened down there; I wonder; in the blackness beneath the world? How did the curse of undeath makes its way to an innocent Amphibian civilisation? Were those four listed two couples? Did one catch the virus from - I don't know, an infected fish perhaps - then later die and attack the others? Was the rest of the tribe infected as well? How many? Was the cavern collapsed on purpose; perhaps to keep the undead away or crush them? If so, then tragedy decided to strike and crush living and dead alike.

Perhaps, though, not all the undead lie still. Perhaps more remain down there, their ghastly croaks echoing amongst the stalactites.

I plan to venture down there, one day. With dwarfs armed with face masks of and breastplates of steel, blue dyed clothing, leather boots / gloves and crossbows, I will solemnly push into the deep darkness. Any remaining undead will be purged.

They may be not be dwarves, but they deserve peace at the very least.

Armok wills it.

i would expect a  sudden cavein in the outer regions of a strange fortress ..  check for a *what was the code again .. ah yeah* cottoncandy weapon :) ... if you are successfull expect alots more of those deceased but living down there

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: December 20, 2010, 09:20:50 pm »

Part 33 of my LP is up.

Ain't no part like an Earth Golem party.

Obviously this was a result of my modding. Apparently any species with either can learn/can speak (probably the later) is capable of holding a party. Weird. Either way, I'm more concerned about the fact that I still can't keep dwarves from getting killed. But at the same time, my military can dispose of almost any threat. What to do, what to do.
Why don't you wall of or patrol the caverns? That seems to be the biggest issue.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: December 20, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »

News from The Lonely Fortification:

My river re-routing scheme has so far proven a failure. The floodgates work fine, a massive cistern has been readied, and I've even breached a cavern to drain into (which can be closed with floodgates to fill the aforementioned cistern). Upside, I now have a means to set-up obsidian farms when I feel like it. I've also begun a project to roof over/wall in my fort so that there's only one way in or out. This was going well, till I started to place the green glass roofs over my above-ground farms... and found out that there was a breach in the back of my fort right at the edge of the map. Cue the walling off access and now my fort is (hopefully) secured.

Gotten more migrants, who were quickly made mason to help speed up the "CLOSE EVERY DAMN THING UP TIGHT" project. I've been ruthlessly stopping all parties before they can happen by freeing up and then re-designating meeting halls, the catacomb statue garden, and the wells. And setting up loads of dump jobs to keep the excess dwarfs busy. Late Fall 253 had traders show up and me getting a bunch of anvils and metal from the mountainhome. I now also have a captain of the gaurd, a militia of 19 (and likely to grow if I get another bunch of migrants...), and a miner chained in one of my food stockpiles because the mayor got pissy over someone violating an export ban. But, thanks to the kindly contributions of the fallen lizard/snake/turtle/ and frogmen, my larders are overflowing with meat which is being turned into prepared meals for the good of my fort's economy. And I have almost 5,000 units of booze! 8D

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: December 20, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »

What good is 5000 booze if no one is allowed to party?
Pages: 1 ... 594 595 [596] 597 598 ... 3838