Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966161 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8910 on: December 19, 2010, 09:19:23 pm »

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow
It's so meta. I love it.

After a decade my 16 14 dwarves have finally sealed off the single staircase leading into the depths and to the shafts required for sealing the caverns via cave-in. I still had to rewall some areas due to a general oversight, but as this oversight had left a neat channel in all affected areas it wasn't a complete loss. Plus, all the watery entrances were sealed as planned. Emptying the underground prior to walling required 15,000 stones to be hauled up to ground level, and even with speed at 0 it still took a year and a half. Fortunately this left the stones in a good place to be built up into a small above-ground fortress.

Now I can carve out a proper fortress! The third cavern is actually the safest one, as it was sealed off perfectly (...I think) and had no creatures inside it beforehand. Blood-red beds and good home-made dwarven booze for everyone, hurrah.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8911 on: December 19, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »

Parts 31 and parts 32 of my LP are up, and boy are they terrible! Nothing to really say beyond that. Pretty uneventful way to end the year. I'm probably not going to do an end of year update, because fuck do they take long to do and most of is just extraneous bullshit anyways. Going to upload maps of Reveredtour in stonesense and that's about it.

God this weekend blew. Never thought having more time would somehow cause me to make worse updates.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8912 on: December 19, 2010, 11:10:06 pm »

Just as I started writing this, a pile of live floating guts wandered out of the caverns. I have utterly forgotten what I was going to say.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8913 on: December 19, 2010, 11:14:16 pm »

A tribe of hostile Reptile Men (Lizardfolk?) wandered up my staircase, and before they even got a blowdart off they were cut down by my soldiers who were sitting right next to the stairs at the time.

Also, if you look at a baby's profile on the day he/she was born it says "S/He was born today, which makes him very young indeed"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 11:17:37 pm by Jacob/Lee »

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8914 on: December 20, 2010, 12:21:57 am »

2nd spring. Immigrants. I was looking at the incoming flashing Xs, waiting till they have all came in to start assigning jobs to them. And I noticed something. Red, all over the map. What's going on? At the bottom of the screen, it said A Buzzard has stolen +Longland grass seeds roast [10]+ !. I immediately popped my 'U'nit list and there it goes, 2 pages of buzzards. "Where's the ranger?" I screamed and zoomed at him. The man of the fort, with the only crossbow and all the war animals around him, is gulping booze. All the animals are flocking around him and there's none looking after the kitchen cluster. I facepalmed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:25:13 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8915 on: December 20, 2010, 12:23:33 am »

Which is why you keep the kitchen deep underground behind several animal-proof doors with war animals guarding it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8916 on: December 20, 2010, 12:27:02 am »

Which is why you keep the kitchen deep underground behind several animal-proof doors with war animals guarding it.
But what if the stuff rot? That's why I do bbq outside to begin with.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8917 on: December 20, 2010, 12:28:40 am »

It's called a "food stockpile". It's this nice new invention that prevents food from rotting forever.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8918 on: December 20, 2010, 12:32:57 am »

It's called a "food stockpile". It's this nice new invention that prevents food from rotting forever.
Foot stockpiles make stuff rot more slowly, they dont prevent it. Morever, raw food can easily rot inside the workshop, too. Prepared food got enough shelf life to safely put on inside underground stockpiles but raw food & refuse will definitely and eventually spam miasma if your cluster is inside underground. It's better to do it outside and later on build some roof over it. I just got unlucky.

Drafting immigrants to fight buzzards as we speak.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:35:27 am by rephikul »

Plutoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8919 on: December 20, 2010, 12:47:54 am »

I'm currently writing a story about 7 dwarfs.  Care to guess their names?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8920 on: December 20, 2010, 12:52:11 am »

I just watched a baby/Black Ops Agent/Martial Artist/Wrestling master hold off his berserk mother long enough for the military to arrive, and he's only 10 months old!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8921 on: December 20, 2010, 04:20:12 am »

Foot stockpiles make stuff rot more slowly, they dont prevent it. Morever, raw food can easily rot inside the workshop, too. Prepared food got enough shelf life to safely put on inside underground stockpiles but raw food & refuse will definitely and eventually spam miasma if your cluster is inside underground. It's better to do it outside and later on build some roof over it. I just got unlucky.

No really, food will currrently never rot if it's on a food stockpile. Vermin will eat unbarreled food over time, and demon rats will even bite through barrels, but The Food Won't Rot.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8922 on: December 20, 2010, 04:57:49 am »

2nd summer. It has started raining. A vile force of darkness has arrived. Wha, so dramatic. 20 naked Dark Strangler Wrestlers spawned (huh?). 9 crossbowmen assembled, ready to snipe them to death. As the battle began, the 12 flying war bats/swallows/eagles, much to my dismay, crossed the dry moat and engaged them in melee. In the end, NO crossbowmen scored a kill (shame on you!!) NO flying war animals killed. So anti-climatic... it's my first siege from FD mod, too.

Human caravan came and complained about the tentacles left lying outside the gate.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8923 on: December 20, 2010, 04:04:57 pm »

No really, food will currrently never rot if it's on a food stockpile. Vermin will eat unbarreled food over time, and demon rats will even bite through barrels, but The Food Won't Rot.
Perhaps the miasma is being caused by dwarves treading on vermin and then not picking up the remains in time?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8924 on: December 20, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »

In addition to my full-time fortress military, I have 2 squads of (non-miner/non-woodcutter) part-time marksdwarves who don't receive training. I selected them because they have at least 1 military skill, but are too useful as civilians to put into danger. Cheap mass produced crossbows/bolts, no armor.

I had a goblin prisoner escape while he was being dragged to the incinerator. He tried to run through the great hall, but got shot to death by ~15 dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 593 594 [595] 596 597 ... 3838