Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966119 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8865 on: December 18, 2010, 10:38:51 am »

Axemeet 1st of Granite, Ingiz Arstukos :

We have arrived. We shall mark all of our short dwarven history of 5 years with an achievement that many others have managed to do : Capture and train The Elephant!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8866 on: December 18, 2010, 11:30:32 am »

Started a new fort. Excellent embark, plenty of trees, coal, iron, flux, etc. Caravan is late, but first mood was a fey armorsmith. A copper greaves, nothing fancy, but a legendary armorsmith early on is win :D.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: December 18, 2010, 01:33:38 pm »

First winter came. Was building a structure outside a hill with a trade depot outside, and four chambers to be used for surface-y stuff. Aside from doors surrounding the staircases this wasn't protected in any major way, save for some cage traps outside in a bid to catch and breed alligators in the nearby swamps. I designed an outdoor area/defense thingy that was pretty efficient and matched the efficient layout of the workshops and apartments below.

So, goblins came: a bunch of bowmen led by a lasher. The upside is that the bowmen had nothing to speak of in the way of armor, I had a few miners and woodcutters, and one of my other dwarves was a competent wrestler. Of course they were all killed without doing any particular goblins to when I ordered the 17 dwarves into two squads and led them to fight the goblins en masse. The ones that weren't shot and killed outright attempted to wrestle the goblins, getting shot by multiple other goblins in the process.

Then the goblins left the immediate area, to kill a puppy.

One dwarf was alive, my expedition leader. She had a red wound on her leg, but it was only cut open. She was in my food stockpile getting her drink on, and if only the stockpile had lockable doors she might be alive.

There's a masterwork adamantine sword buried in the depths, and the embark location is like 178 levels. I'm going back and reclaiming.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8868 on: December 18, 2010, 02:04:48 pm »

First siege from goblins. The dragons held them off remarkably well (but at the cost of multiple dorves turning into puddles of dorf flambe...as usual). I've had to mine out a second crypt.

This crypt should last me a while, it spans 3 Z-levels. Also, due to a fundamental flaw with that water channel (Forgetting that water can rise z-levels), i've flooded the cotton candy mines. damn. Well, i've got that underwater river i wanted, and i managed to isolate the damage to my last two levels of mine (the ones with Cotton Candy veins). This has exposed some problems higher up, which i am working on fixing before they become a problem with some strategically placed floors and rerouted stairs.

Also, i became dangerously close to a tantrum spiral after a gemmaker and a woodcutter had tantrums.

Does anyone know how i can assign dragons to a specific spot of the map so i can have them guard my wall without broiling dorves any time a bit of toastiness is needed?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:29:06 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: December 18, 2010, 02:10:35 pm »

My engravers are throwing around engravings of Sylvan Elves getting their asses kicked by frost worms and dragons  ::)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: December 18, 2010, 02:35:40 pm »

Does anyone know how i can assign dragons to a specific spot of the map so i can have them guard my wall without broiling dorves any time a bit of toastiness is needed?
Use chains. It keeps them within an eight block space.

In my fort I have managed to catch four elephants so far, three in my random three cage traps, one in my forts defense cage traps. Two of them are trained as war animals and the other two are sitting in my animal stockpile. This is Axemeet. If I could rename it, I would call it Elephantmeet. But instead I shall use an axedwarf military with supporting elephants, wild or otherwise. Also, this is only the 5th of Hematite, early summer.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »

Part 30 of my LP is up.

What's this? Zombies fish swimming in the ocean? Somehow managing to terrify workers despite being far below them? The military diving into the ocean and drowning like a bunch of fucking idiots?

Oh boy, it's like I'm in Townbrush all over again! Maybe some fucking ogres will come along and complete the picture.

You know what really irks me about this? The commander could have lives. He was only a few feet away from shore when he started heading back. But rather than use the ramp 2 spaces to the left of him, he tried swimming to the one on the other side of the beach. Incredible.

I suppose I'm going to have to invest in a swimming room.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: December 18, 2010, 03:59:16 pm »

I suppose I'm going to have to invest in a swimming room.

Because that plan has worked out so well for you in the past. Live and learn, I suppose.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: December 18, 2010, 05:13:56 pm »

Discovered cotton candy for the first time.
So currently marveling in happiness :D
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8874 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

Discovered cotton candy for the first time.
So currently marveling in happiness :D
It's a nice feeling, isn't it?  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: December 18, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »

Artifact spear GET.

It's worth 181680 Urist Dwarfbucks

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8876 on: December 18, 2010, 07:36:51 pm »

It's a nice feeling, isn't it?  :D
Ch'yeah it is :D
Took me a few minutes to realise how to actually be able to do anything with it :L
Noiiiice spoear :P
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »

Clasplake is at an end. A seige struck, which I was majorly unprepared for as I've never gotten a seige on any fortress before, just ambushes. They managed to kill a forgotten beast that had been bothering me, but I accidentally let them in, not realizing that if you make doors not pet passable but don't forbid them, the goblins can break in. So they murdered all but one: my mayor. He's now lying in the hospital, brutally injured, hungry, thirsty, and highly susceptable to infection, behind a locked door in a fortress which is almost entirely compromised. All he can do now is wait to die.

Maybe migrants will arrive in time to save the fortress...

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8878 on: December 18, 2010, 09:44:23 pm »

Clasplake is at an end. A seige struck, which I was majorly unprepared for as I've never gotten a seige on any fortress before, just ambushes. They managed to kill a forgotten beast that had been bothering me, but I accidentally let them in, not realizing that if you make doors not pet passable but don't forbid them, the goblins can break in. So they murdered all but one: my mayor. He's now lying in the hospital, brutally injured, hungry, thirsty, and highly susceptable to infection, behind a locked door in a fortress which is almost entirely compromised. All he can do now is wait to die.

It would be hilarious if one was a grand master doctor.

"We heard the calls, we're here now."

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: December 18, 2010, 10:05:27 pm »

It would be hilarious if one was a grand master doctor with a limp.

"We heard the calls, we're here now."

House calls FTW.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 3838