Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969771 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8850 on: December 17, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »

gotta channel a shaft...down to the cotton candy vein on the near-bottom of the map. from ground level. to build a well. this is gonna take me a while...
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: December 17, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »

After the complete newby guide, this is my first fortress.
Its going well, stable food and booze production, starting up my fisrt military, enough defense for now :)
Only problem is deciding to start without an anvil is fine.. if the humans bring one... they've come once. No anvil, its nearly my second year and they have yet to come again, I put anvil frequency maxed on the laison :/ I hope they come soon :L

the very first laision should allways have one .. and its cheap for an iron one  cost you one wooden trap part or 3-4 stone crafts/mechanisms

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: December 17, 2010, 09:29:02 pm »

My novice bowyer just took over my bowyer worksop, and is now wittling away at something :)
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: December 17, 2010, 09:53:22 pm »

In my new fort, Bronzemoon, I have lost a total of 6 dwarves who fell through thawing ice ponds.  One was a migrant who had arrived on screen about a dozen steps earlier.  Didn't even have time to name the poor sap...  Also, all the others lost were busy trying to build walls.  What a waste of stone!  :(
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: December 17, 2010, 09:55:05 pm »

*two Keeper merchants are talking outside the fortress gate*
"That's odd, Reable. The dwarves appear to have their gate closed, but why?"
"I don't know, Jugtheng, but those blood stains can't be good."
*a dwarf appears on the wall*
"Hey! You down there! Keepers!"
"Yes, dwarf! Why do you not let us in?"
"Well you see, we have a bit of a problem. It's mean, has one eye and wants to kill us."
"A.. Uh... Creeping Eye?"
"No, here, let's make a deal, you kill THAT *points to Cyclops* and we let you in."
"Well, um, okay dwarf! We'll slay the beast for you!"
"*whispers* Quick, let's get out of here"
"*whispers* Right"

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: December 17, 2010, 10:58:25 pm »

There's a healthcare crisis in my fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This guy got it pretty bad from an ogre or something. Multiple fractures on both of his legs.

It's taken my doctordwarves — two full-time diagnosticians, a full-time bone doctor and a couple of full-time suturers, plus two full-time nurses — more than a year to get around to fixing him up. And he's still not done; his left shin still needs a splint.

In the meantime, despite having been cleaned with soap repeatedly, he's managed to get himself infections in his left shin and ankle.

Do dwarves ever recover from infections? Or is it a permanently debilitating thing, like "phantom limb pain" was back in 40d?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:47 am »

you're using goblin soap. 'nuf said.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: December 18, 2010, 12:25:08 am »

Imagine a useful dwarf.

Now imagine him dead.

That's what infections do.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:14 am »

Managed to have my fort almost die to the first goblin ambush...

That seems to happen alot.

*Whistles innocently*
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:34:39 am by buckets »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: December 18, 2010, 06:29:55 am »

Infections *might* heal. It depends on the dwarf and a lot of luck. I've had a couple dwarves completely heal their infections, many die from them, some even months after leaving the hospital, and one or two just carried it around like a rhino lizard without a care in the world.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

theodnkeyvote

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: December 18, 2010, 07:50:29 am »

Thanks to Tinypirates tutorials I had a fort running well, 81 dwarves and a helluva lot of puppies and dogs who were doing nothing because noone had small animal trainer, anyway one fine day some elves came in to trade. Thanks to some overzealous stone crafts construction I was never short of stuff to trade for. In a moment of madness I forgot about not giving them my wooden bins. Well that stood on their beard (well figuratively speaking).
Anticipating an impending elf invasion I set about getting some ballista ready as well as a moat to surround the entrance.
Digging a underground tunnel channeling some water from the river into my moat went well and as the moat was being dug about 4 different goblin ambushes came out of nowhere.
Have no fear I have 7 elite wrestlers armed with steel hammers ready!
But the gobblins where too quick and swiftly killed a few dedicated wood haulers who were hauling it back to the fort.
Turns out it was the nice dining room that was keeping the dwarves from going over the edge and the sudden loss of their lovers and friends pushed them over the edge.
A few broken table and killed puppies later and all hell has broken loose, a lever was pulled that let lava into the apartments.
While all this happened a miner oblivious to the choas did the final chanelling which filled the moat and because of some really bad planning, flooded the storeroom too.  :'(
Well that was fun. Did I mention that someone broke the bridge so about 6 or 7 died of thirst or goblins after collapsing from exhaustion and locked out my eager militia who could have dealt with the first few berserkers?
Edit: Called Tinypirate tiny duck << Thanks to him for his great tutorials!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 07:56:54 am by theodnkeyvote »
*face palm* Name typo... Hopefully no one notices.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19:58 am »

My first for of the evening sorta went awkward when skeletal alligators turned up and started shaking everything to pieces.

My current fort is supposed to be flat, but there's a minor river running with a natural dam blocking it from flooding a small indentation. Homemade lake time!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: December 18, 2010, 09:53:05 am »

Spoiler: first blood (click to show/hide)
So much for some simple logs... It's not even a month into the game...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:29 am »

what mod is that?  :o
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: December 18, 2010, 10:34:39 am »

what mod is that?  :o
the one i made
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 3839