Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123192 times)

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #885 on: January 12, 2010, 05:48:14 am »

[hi, new guy here...]

I just started a new fortress again, my goal here is to get all my layout set up right. I got all the wood/stone/craftworks set up already, smiths is getting there with the first wave of immigrants probably.

Food has been a problem for me until now, everything becomes all tangled and I usually have no idea what is happening and why. I'm starting an orderly setup, got the entire top floor set up now for food production and resulting labors. Farms and stuff on the right, butchering and leather/clothworks on the left.

Still very basic but getting to a basic fortress yet.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 12, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

I am about to give the dwarven caravan 334,29% (☼73715/☼22051) profit on their goods. And all of the things I'll be giving will be narrow non metallic clothing.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:11 pm »

Finally knuckling down on my next fortress which is a megaconstruction.  The major problem is that it requires a lot of forethought on design.  I don't have a lot of fun running fortresses that way.  I find I have much more fun if I just play willy-nilly and make things fit as I go.  Plus I've already mined a ton and my fortress wealth went up way too fast.  In the space of an hour of playtime my population went from 16 to 78.  Having a bit of a housing crisis, especially because my housing is a major part of the complicated design.  Felt like my fortress was getting away from me for a while there, but I think I've got everything back under control.

Normally I play straight vanilla DF, no modding or editing raws.  That's the challenge I like of the game, making megafortresses only within the confines of the system.  But I did make one concession for this fortress.  I've turned off invasions for the time being, until I can get my military/defenses set up.  Was starting to get dicey.   But I should have everything set up soon so I can turn invasions back on, going to need goblinite on this map.  By the way, anyone know if turning invasions off also stops ambushes?

First ambush unfortunately killed my dwarf liason.  Sigh...so much for getting any bauxite.  I guess I'll have to make my obsidian factory more primitive.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 12, 2010, 05:19:13 pm »

Turning off invasions does stop ambushes. Won't make the ones already hiding on the map go away though.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 12, 2010, 05:20:38 pm »

Hehe, that makes sense, considering I turned off invasions and within 5 minutes my dwarven liason got jacked.  Good to know, thanks.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:36 pm »

I built the roof to my obsidian tower so the whole thing is inside now. The apartment floors are almost done. Unfortunately, I designated the floors before the walls, so now my dwarves have walled themselves in and are waiting on future dwarves to construct the walls so they can get out. More victims of SDS.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 12, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »

My very first dragon has arrived (and walked into some cage traps... maybe I should get rid of those). And immediately after the arrival of my dungeon master to boot!

What should I do with it?

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 12, 2010, 06:06:08 pm »

Train it and build a chain in from of your fort and put your dragon there if you want.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 12, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »

Consider yourself lucky. My first dragon showed up as "Friendly" and runs away from enemies. He's currently nesting in my glass workshops. While it's pretty cool, I would have preferred to have had a vicious pet dragon to guard my fortress rather than a pet.

The elves arrived and put me on a 118 log a year limit. The way I see it, all I have to do is do all my logging, burning, and carpentry after they leave and before the new season and I can avoid having to worry about a third race ambushing me endlessly. And if they get pissed, because I have no intention of abiding by their limits, it's no worse than if I had refused the limits anyways. Though after getting through the agreement I'm already starting to regret it (bunch of arrogant, prissly little fag tree huggers).

Meanwhile, the humans arrived to trade, with the goblins on their heals. I called up my marksdwarves to patrol the fortified level of my tower and dispatched my swordsdwarves to take out their bowgobs before they leave the forest. The cover provided by the trees keeps them from getting more than seven or eight shots off before they kill. The rest of my military is normally stationed in a rough perimeter of my fortress anyways, so they ran off the rest of the siege admirably.

The apartment levels are almost done. I've given each room green glass cabinets and plan to give them boxes as well. I built shops now, which my rich haulers have bought now, so dwarves are collecting clothing and such.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 12, 2010, 07:14:01 pm »

I looked 'im up in legends. In two hundred and fifty two years he's managed to make enemies of six governments and score fifty-two kills. I think he deserves a slightly more glorious fate... but we can't make mounts or leave the region, and I don't think there's any HFS on the map. Hmm...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 12, 2010, 09:22:50 pm »

Build a giant labyrinth and let him roam it, then release the goblins in there. He'll be like the minotaur, only way more badass.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #896 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:09 pm »

Today in the fortress of Pagedslipped the Brownian Rachet was finally switched on.

The Brownian Rachet is a conveyor belt implemented with retracing drawbridges.  90 tiles long by 9 tiles wide, using dozens of separate bridges driven by a fast repeater, arranged in a three-dimensional sawtooth pattern.  It uses the bridges to throw objects randomly, and a sawtoothed pattern of wells to cause the thrown objects to migrate in one direction.  The conveyor begins at the end of the drawbridge where sieges are dumped by the defensive bridge array, and ends in the center of the fortress, theoretically conveying bones and invader gear directly to my crafters and forges.

So far, the main result of its operation is a massive momentary FPS drop every 100 frames as thousands of objects are thrown into the air.  According to my simulations 95% of the objects dropped onto the start of the conveyor should reach the end within a year.

Four war dogs also somehow ended up in the mechanism.  They're getting tossed around randomly, but don't seem to be taking any harm from it.  Because bridges can't throw living creatures upwards they won't be thrown out till they die of old age.

Meanwhile, the rate at which the glass furnaces are turning out glass blocks has finally exceeded the rate at which the workers can place blocks on the top of the pyramid.  It's to be expected that this would happen eventually as the glassmakers gained experience while the number of blocks on each level decreased with height.  Surplus blocks are now being diverted to secondary constructions within the pyramid.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 13, 2010, 12:26:57 am »

Four war dogs also somehow ended up in the mechanism.  They're getting tossed around randomly, but don't seem to be taking any harm from it.  Because bridges can't throw living creatures upwards they won't be thrown out till they die of old age.
Then, puppies. If you have a female down there I suspect you will forever have a breed of bridge hounds.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 13, 2010, 12:58:10 am »

Yesterday one fortress was all-but abandoned due to the unexpectedly painful production-tree for non-magma forges.

Then my new fortress tantrum-spiralled down to about a dozen dwarves (several wounded) from 30. It only took one ambush to start the trouble! Fortunately the fortress was quite wealthy with some care I have been migrant-waved back up to 40 dwarves. Initial magma-plumbing is complete. Phase two will be to pump aquifer onto the exposed magma-pipe to trap the nasties therein. I still have no military.

reubend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 13, 2010, 01:12:04 am »

I ran out of wildlife, so I gave all of my dwarves hunting and assigned them crossbows... I pity the goblin thief that happens upon my squad of marks-masons.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 3842