Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969774 times)

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8835 on: December 16, 2010, 06:02:23 pm »

After building enough barracks to house several dozen men, and so on...we've begun digging. We're piercing through the first cavern, avoiding confrontation if possible (Namely, channeling straight through the walls instead of breaching into the cavern proper). I want to link up with that friendly cave swallow man society i occasionally get announcements for, if possible.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: December 16, 2010, 07:28:11 pm »

MUHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA IT WORKS
My global mist generator system works! Now, there's a veil of mist in all the main halls of the fort! I can switch it on and off at will, and the risk of flooding is very limited! I did it! And it can refill the hospital well, too! And it was all designed and finished in only 14 years!
Now, all I need to do is a little tweaking. Then, finish building the giant statue of Zuglar the Oar of Yearlings, dwarf god of lakes, oceans, costs, rivers, and children, so that it looks like he's pouring the water from his blue hands. Then... dunno, I'll make more statues probably.
My semi-useful megaproject.... it's so pretty.  :'(
I look forward to seeing it in all its dwarfy glory.
くコ:彡

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: December 16, 2010, 08:15:08 pm »

THE GOOD NEWS
  • Finally hit the Magma Sea
  • Found cotton candy

THE BAD NEWS
  • Dragons are not a ideal defense against Goblins, especially in heavily populated areas.
  • One of my 6 miners melted to death because he couldn't run from the magma sea in time.

EDIT: I've just about hit lag death, but these recent deaths have brought things up well enough for me to have one final battle against the HFS. I've intentionally breached it, and am in the middle of trying to destroy it with the lava sea. This will be the final ride of Oraclepaddle!

Oraclepaddle's population has gone down from ~80 to 63. Mostly side casualties from that fucking tamed dragon trying to burn a single goblin.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:47:06 pm by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: December 17, 2010, 09:56:48 am »

Part 29 of my LP is up.

Really nothing to say here at the moment beyond what was said in the post itself.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: December 17, 2010, 10:17:04 am »

Okay, so when they said "beware its deadly blood", that doesn't mean "washing the unexpectedly victorious meatshields in the nearby pond is enough", that really means "soon, your dwarfs will die one by one because the retards picked up an infected item, and it is up to you to discover if it is a kitten corpse, a pick, or a sock".
At least, the epidemic seems to have stopped after the 4th local die by paralysis, and it is taking care of my overpopulation problem. Mist for everyone!
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: December 17, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »

Hah, one of my dorfs just earned her keep by killing a Forest Titan. Guess how.

No, he wasn't decapitated by a fluffy warbler. Neither was his brains turned to mush by a hammer.

He was sliced in half, by, and I swear to Armok I am not making this up, being kicked in the lower body.

The actual text reads: The Hammer Lord kicks the Forest Titan in the lower body with her left foot and the severed part flies off in an arc!
Danger rooms are awesome, and well worth their price in babies.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:12:24 pm by The_Final_Stand »

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: December 17, 2010, 12:53:30 pm »

Hah, one of my dorfs just earned his keep by killing a Forest Titan. Guess how.

No, he wasn't decapitated by a fluffy warbler. Neither was his brains turned to mush by a hammer.

He was sliced in half, by, and I swear to Armok I am not making this up, being kicked in the lower body.

The actual text reads: The Hammer Lord kicks the Forest Titan in the lower body with her left foot and the severed part flies off in an arc!
Danger rooms are awesome, and well worth their price in babies.

:o
That is bloody amazing!  When he dies, his left shoe should be enshrined in a museum!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: December 17, 2010, 01:03:51 pm »

One of the best parts is that the shoe is made of pig tail cloth and is currently showing some wear. Depressingly, the shoe does not say in it's description: Kills: Lolum Niledesis Istbareggut, Forest Titan. Neither does the sock. Nor am I allowed to name the shoe "The Shoe of Axeing".

Feco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: December 17, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

Embarked on a site literally right next-door to two human settlements.

Year 3, and no sign of them.  Damn.  I wanted to start a war.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: December 17, 2010, 02:55:44 pm »

My fort is drowning in … stuff.

After a few nontrivial goblin sieges, I've collected some 230 weapons, more than 1,000 pieces of armor, some 600 pieces of legwear and so on and so on.

I know how to get rid of the mess. It's just such a giant pain in the butt. Go through the stuff on the stocks screen item by item, decide what to keep, mark the rest for dumping into the atom smasher, then go back and un-designate the stuff that won't get dumped anyway because it's owned by some Urist McGrabbyhands.

I love this game, I really do. But this is the part where it's less like playing and more like using Excel.

EDIT: Oh, but while I was typing this, I see that one of the black bears the elves brought me has just given birth to cubs. Hooray! I wasn't sure whether they'd breed without a dungeon master.

I wonder if the giant desert scorpions would also make with the babies?

Ew. Baby scorpions. I just squicked myself out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 02:57:15 pm by Fishbulb »

BombStrike

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: December 17, 2010, 02:56:56 pm »

3rd fortress since I started playing DF
It was going really well and after killing a snow flying titan in one hit then a giant, I decided to build walls around my fortress entrance with a water moat and retractable bridges. Once the moat was done, I made a small channel to a nearby river and made 2 pumps to throw the water in the channel to my moat like this ( side view ):
Code: [Select]
      PP77
  PP77##777777777777MOAT
77######################
PP being pumps, ## ground, the moat being on the right, the whole thing powered by a waterwheel.
As soon as the top pump started, 2 goblins ambushes popped on the map and I had to set my civilian alert on so that my civilians would go to my danger room, while my small army was working on preventing the goblins from breaching the fortress so that I could get the bridge up once every citizen was safe... Then from there began my first siege.

Now I've got 12 archer goblins around the map moving together preventing my 10 badly trained and equiped military dwarfs from approaching them without being torn to shreds. As my fortress is self sufficient I decided to close the surface and go into hiding.
After a few days, I discovered that once the moat was full, the pump started pumping into the nearby plains, covering a 30x30 square with water and... starting to flood my fortress through a small hole in the west wall, also before I closed my bridges an elven caravan was in my trade depot, and they started wandering in my fortress.

After several months, the elvens merchants went berserk and I had to kill them while their horses are rampaging around the fortress, killing pets and demoralizing my dwarfs while my military is chasing them around. At the same time, the water has flooded the entrance of the fortress were I can enjoy 3/7 of water gushing against the door, the very large flooded surface killing my FPS due to all the water movement, the whole thing is helped by a nice "catsplosion": I've got around 200 tame pets running around the place, killing my CPU with pathfinding and stuff.
And finally my mayor has started a campaign of impossible tasks to do so my captain of the guard "UristPickArmedLegendaryMiner" is decapiting peoples in their sleep.

I started the countdown, i'm pretty sure that my fortress is gonna experience it's doomfun pretty fast now :D

Supersquee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: December 17, 2010, 03:06:48 pm »

One of the most beautiful sentences I ever see on Dwarf Fortress.

You have struck cassiterite!

I could cry.
The problem with finding badassery in DF, is that the standard is so damn high.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: December 17, 2010, 03:16:04 pm »

One of the most beautiful sentences I ever see on Dwarf Fortress.

You have struck cassiterite!

I could cry.

It's the ore of Tin, eh?

I still do have to see it myself.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SurfinShroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Why so cereal?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: December 17, 2010, 03:55:20 pm »

After the complete newby guide, this is my first fortress.
Its going well, stable food and booze production, starting up my fisrt military, enough defense for now :)
Only problem is deciding to start without an anvil is fine.. if the humans bring one... they've come once. No anvil, its nearly my second year and they have yet to come again, I put anvil frequency maxed on the laison :/ I hope they come soon :L
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: December 17, 2010, 04:07:41 pm »

My SECOND already-legendary weaponsmith just got struck by a fey mood.  He grabbed adamantine (naturally) and has a preference for axes, so I'm hoping to get a shiny, choppy battle axe to go with the shiny, stabby spear I have from the last mood.

[Edit] Oh, right.  The elves brought a breeding pair of jaguars, gorillas, AND alligators this year. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:10:04 pm by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 3839