Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5973285 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8805 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:56 pm »

ballistae. wooden ballistae. do. the. trick.

I seriously TOOK THEM OVER USING WOOD AND ROCK, no metal at all. and then my miner disappeared from the WHOLE MAP AND HISTORY and all references to him are replaced with nulls. then a virus from an uploading site came  :'(

anyways, good luck. you'll need it. ~Sargent Felicker from SS2
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: December 15, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »

I'm going to create an iron fortress out of Tourcontest. Everything- anvils, workshops, cabinets, walls, trade depot- is iron. If I can somehow rename the fortress, it will be known as Bismarcksparta.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:42:54 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: December 15, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »

One of my hammerdwarves just clocked a goblin ambusher so hard his back tooth came out, sailed over the wall surrounding the garden and landed with a bloody plop right in the middle of my sun berry patch.

I love this game.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #8808 on: December 15, 2010, 04:51:38 pm »

Foot rot syndrome.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: December 15, 2010, 05:00:55 pm »

Caravans keep being ambushed; not enough resources for military action; will hole up in the ground and build glass pumps until I've got 150 sets, then the goblins get facefuls of magma.

Question: Caravans being ambushed, what are its effects and what can be done to reverse them?
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

juanito89

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: December 15, 2010, 05:09:43 pm »

Winter 263: Windslap's hospital got a functioning well. AT LAST.
It is a small revolution here.

Getting a working well was the first accomplishment I was proud of at DF. Congrats :)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: December 15, 2010, 05:15:53 pm »

Mass mining/smoothing project. Because I designated everyone except my architect and chef with the mining duty, and mass-manufactured iron picks.

When the goblins show up, they're going to find a fort full of muscular dwarves wielding iron digging instruments of death.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: December 15, 2010, 06:08:13 pm »

Caravans keep being ambushed; not enough resources for military action; will hole up in the ground and build glass pumps until I've got 150 sets, then the goblins get facefuls of magma.

Question: Caravans being ambushed, what are its effects and what can be done to reverse them?

This is all speculation based on rumor and personal experience.

Dwarven (or home civ) caravan: As far as I know nothing happens.  If you are already trading with them they may bring fewer goods next year.  But nothing more severe.

Human Caravan: If they lose enough caravans they may lay siege to your fortress.  Which you can't do anything about until a diplomat shows up.  If they did get ambushed but are still willing to trade with you some offered goods or a large profit can help offset that.

Elves: LET THEM BURN IN FIERY MAGMA.   ...otherwise more or less the same as humans.  I've never been able to get them totally pissed off at me though, despite actively trying, so your mileage may vary. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: December 15, 2010, 06:10:31 pm »

So even if the humans besiege me, there's a chance for a diplomat to show up and make everything goody-good again?

Juicy! War with no permanent repercussions!
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: December 15, 2010, 06:13:22 pm »

Diplomat shows up randomly (or with some algorithm no-one knows yet) might not get one for years.

P.S.  Also if you DO go to war with the humans note that they will be completely immune to EVERY TRAP THEIR TRADERS AND DIPLOMATS EVER CAME ANYWHERE NEAR.

Learned that the hard way.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:15:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:13 pm »

So even if the humans besiege me, there's a chance for a diplomat to show up and make everything goody-good again?
Juicy! War with no permanent repercussions!

Except for dead dwarves filling the graveyard, and crippled dwarves filling the hospital. They are smack dab in the middle of the category known as "repercussions."

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: December 15, 2010, 06:25:00 pm »

Dwarves are down with the magma. Humans are up with the magma. One is healthy. One is not.

Choose wisely, before ignoring business opportunities just because they might require some asymmetric warfare  ;D

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: December 15, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »

In this case, I consider the phrase "choosing wisely" to be synonymous with "definitely going to win" when choosing my battles.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: December 15, 2010, 06:36:27 pm »

Oilcolors has fallen.  After four years, six sieges, three ambushes, two forgotten beasts and a hydra attack, we died on the sixth siege.  The battering rams (Trolls) smashed down my flood gates and came through my not-so-well trapped entrance.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: December 15, 2010, 07:29:52 pm »

goblin siege. normally this would not bother me, but The goblins spawned on the mountains above my fortress just as every dwarf was hualing items to the outdoors trade depot. it's a blood bath.

and they just keep shooting
What do you think? Yes? No?
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 3839