Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105307 times)

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8760 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:23 am »

Working on a small (population 50) fort whose main purpose is to generate masterwork and artifact steel equipment for adventurers. So far I've got about 500 steel and a Legendary + 5 Armorsmith, and I've been training all my dwarves in Weaponsmithing as well to increase my chances of a strange mood making steel weapons. With my luck, though, they'll make a bunch of steel hammers. I had blue stuff in my last fort, and with it, through numerous strange moods, they created two grates, two floodgates (in a row), and a hammer :'(. Too many metalcrafters!

I've never done this before, but I'm producing all the steel entirely with coke and charcoal - I didn't gen this world with reduced height (I like the magma sea about 50 levels down), and I don't feel like digging 150 levels down to magma. I wasn't even planning on opening up any caverns, but a strange mood foundered on a lack of silk and then my chief medical dwarf, who's also my best miner, got another strange mood requiring silk. I dug down, revealing cave the first, got some giant cave spider silk, strip-mined the trees, installed a bridge, and closed off the cave again in time to avoid the two forgotten beasts that showed up shortly afterwards, both with poisonous abilities (vapor and bite, respectively). No thanks! I don't plan on opening the bridge again, although I might when the fort crumbles to its end (or to CAUSE the fort to crumble), just to give future adventurers a bit of risk as they go exploring for equipment.

So far I've got a small amount of masterwork steel armor and an artifact steel shield, equipped by Illuvatar, my original (starting seven) hammerguard. This world genned without goblins, though, so there hasn't been much cause to use it yet. Once I finish training everyone in Weaponsmith, I'm going to start pumping out the masterwork armor.

This is probably the last version I'll be able to mine thousands of iron ore (4 magnetite cores dug out so far) and convert it into steel without magma, since Toady has rejiggered minerals for 0.31.19. I assume mineral density will be midway between 40d and 0.31 levels so far, but I'm not holding my breath. It should be Fun, regardless.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: December 13, 2010, 11:12:59 am »

I'm working on building a fortress suspended above a pit of lava. The volcano I embarked on ends halfway into the mountain it is embedded in, so I am working on dropping fifteen levels of mountain on top of the volcano to make room. In the meantime, my dwarves are living aboveground.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: December 13, 2010, 02:00:55 pm »

My current fort (I forget the name) is trapped in an eternally repeating Spring due to my computer repeatedly crashing before I can get to summer. I even got an artifact a couple of times - first a yellow grossular bucket, then a kobold bone pick in the most recent one.

Also, there's a DF page on Facebook. Just found that out yesterday.
くコ:彡

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: December 13, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »

The original 7 dwarves and all their animals walled themselves in the cavern from the start to build a colony. They are under a sandy desert, the stranded migrants are terrified, wondering why nobody is nearby or anywhere for that matter. Right now, on the brink of death by thirst, they pillaged the booze from a sylvan elf caravan that had it's merchants go insane, it's only a matter of time before that runs out.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: December 13, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

My fort caught The Rot from an FB's blood that a single animal brought into my fort, and went into tantrum spiral after dozens of children and adults died from rotting feet.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: December 13, 2010, 03:24:16 pm »

Starmachines failed a week after being established.  I had my seven dwarves and eight war dogs all die to the same Nightwing.  Reclaim time...

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #8766 on: December 13, 2010, 04:26:44 pm »

Knock knock.

"Who's there?"

Interrupting horse.

"Interrupting horse who--"

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: December 13, 2010, 04:39:18 pm »

i built my magma piston and it went well i handsorted the 10 best recruits of the pool ... put em in the dangerroom .. started forging steel equipment ..

a cyclops wanders the map and rips the legs of an unsuspecting hauler + kills another one ...

sadly he was friends to many and now i got the finest tantrum spiral in the beginnning .. half of the military squad dropped out by them selves
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 05:28:53 pm by schussel »

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »

A forgotten beast entered a vast (over 40 z-levels) cavern at the bottom of which was a shallow layer of water. It attacked my dwarves on a narrow bridge about six levels above the water. This was just before I'd cranked out some weapons, but no matter; my entire untrained fort beat the thing to death with their bare hands. There were, oh, eight survivors? Half of the forty odd that were killed met their end by being flung off the bridge to drown below. The cloud of miasma infected about twenty levels of the fortress from the piled and floating bodies.

I changed production after that to maximise memorial slab production, but I couldn't crank out memorials fast enough before repeating waves of goblin raiders arrived to pick off the rest of the dwarves and the beleagered and unfortunate migrants that braved the frozen wastes to arrive in the meantime.

I sent a contingent of axedwarves to try to reclaim the fortress, but the goblins remained and made swift work of them; except one, who was rendered immobile from a cut to the foot and eventually died of thirst, out of eyesight of the vigilant goblins, cold and alone on the surface of the glacier.

Perhaps one day a brave adventurer will venture to that remote place to reclaim the treasures that were, but that day may not come for centuries.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:03 pm »

funny in sacredpicks .. after 6/10 soldiers of the royal guard succumbed to an ear ineftion!! about 4 random dwarfes managed to get into the double sealed off reservoir of the  power generator ... coffins are really needed those days ...

edit: the bodycount goes up to 25 by now .. mostly when prisoners ripped the chains(aka ropes) in the prisons and escaped ... the guard knows no mercy
 oddly in between a pet cat defended its master and was killed by the guard too :) never seen that
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:14:04 pm by schussel »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: December 13, 2010, 08:57:08 pm »

Eric Blank cancels play DF: harvesting mermaid population.

Within my fort, everything is going smoothly. No ambushes or sieges, but I wouldn't be prepared for such things just yet anyway.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:00:50 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: December 13, 2010, 08:58:52 pm »

Just had a cave crocodile kill more dwarfs than the last 3 forgotten beasts and last 2 goblin sieges combined. (4 to 0)

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: December 13, 2010, 10:48:29 pm »

Just started a new fort. First one on DF 2010. Everything is going fine, my military is a ton weaker than usual (new features, I assume) but I figure it's a while until my first ambush, let alone a siege. That's when, in the second year, a siege of ~12 axe-wielding goblins show up, led by an axelord on a cave crocodile. Now the cave crocodile thing was a surprise, but hey, new feature right? Fortunately for me, they got stuck on the other side of the river after the cave crocodile drowned his rider. Now that I'm safe, I've got a while before dealing with anything else, right? "A vile force of darkness has arrived" Oh come on! Two more squads, all on cave crocodiles. So, 3 squads of goblins now, 20 cave crocodiles, all against a measly 10 person army, barely trained. Not happening, I'll pull up the drawbridges. Sieges leave after a while, it's not like it's a megabeast, right?

Enter: Ral Nelasziril Ertal Oltar, dragon. Not even a month later. Is it just me, or was 40d so much easier?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the trolls. There are trolls.

It's been 2 minutes of runtime. Forgotten beast #4. Seriously, 40d was easier right?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:05:56 pm by Conrad »
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: December 13, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »

Fortunately for me, they got stuck on the other side of the river after the cave crocodile drowned his rider.

Oh, that's a beautiful thing. I have this little mental movie of the gobbo floundering and yelling "Oh, this has not gone well!" before disappearing beneath the surface.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: December 14, 2010, 12:26:59 am »

waiting for the elves to come again, hoping they'll attack. for the past three years I've been waiting and in the mean time have made three magma related traps. I am currently in the making of a forth.
What do you think? Yes? No?
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 3842