Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105694 times)

Ovg

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥ Pretty Princess ♥
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #8625 on: December 09, 2010, 04:52:53 pm »

All my dorfs at Windstrikes got fat and weak. Had to change raws to prevent stat loss and regen :< Just as I got 100 dorfs did I notice.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: December 09, 2010, 05:33:46 pm »

do dwarven exercise machines (AKA screw pumps) help prevent this?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: December 09, 2010, 05:44:55 pm »

they do but very slow as it seems

military training in a dangerroom is the best for this but its hard to estimate how much is needed without hitting champion or lord status(thus making the worker useless for the profession)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 06:46:37 pm by schussel »

Ahasver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: December 09, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »

I've reached stability, and my base is centered around the rim of a volcano. I'm training some marksdwarves up using the wooden bolt elephant hunting technique, and let me say, my food stockpile is overflowing with Elephant innards. I'm trying to move towards a more military oriented population (something I have neglected to do too many times in the past). Any suggestions for cool projects to do? I'm thinking about making a lava moat.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: December 09, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

So... many... skelephants...
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: December 09, 2010, 06:12:46 pm »

* The Proxian deletes Paddlepasses: Taken by mood.
* The Proxian withdraws from society...
* The Proxian sketches pictures of gathered dwarves...
* The Proxian sketches pictures of a barren landscape...
* The Proxian works furiously!

* The Proxian has created Ablelagesh, "Bustcontests", a badlands fortress!

I decided to challenge myself with a surface-plant-less embark. My first try, I accidentally the circus with DFReveal, but on my second try I found an even nicer place: three layers of silty clay, a bit of red sand, some limestone, and a fish-infested river. It's gorgeous. My first project was a fishpond, so I'm hoping some fisherdwarves show up with the next wave of immigrants. Then I assigned furnace operating labors to all my miners, so they've kick-started my steel industry.

My next will be wet t-shirts so my lady dwarves can live up to the fort's name.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: December 09, 2010, 06:52:16 pm »

News from The Lone Fortification: {FPS: started at 16 and is currently around 10}

I've been getting a pretty steady stream of migrants, who ended up becoming labor for my various roofing/flooring and walling projects. Also, late summer 253, the Snakemen returned to trade...and so did the Lizardmen, Turtlemen, and Frogmen. Which the Snakemen are at war with...and guess who decided to use some reptiles and amphibians as "training aids"?  ;D

Unfortunately, two of my dwarfs got killed and another five wound up in the hospital (which I had to make a burrow just to get the doc and the nurses to stay there are WORK...). So far, one dwarf's been taken care of and is out training again. I've also noticed a major flaw in my defenses: amphibious assualts. So to remedy this oversight, I'm going to attempt rerouting the river temporarily to remove the downslopes and retrieve some goods left by the turtlemen. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull that off before fps death claims my fort. I've only got around 80 dwarfs, and I've been trying to do anything to get just a little bit more fps.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: December 09, 2010, 07:29:02 pm »

12th Galena, 353. Oraclepaddles has been having terrible bedding problems since our population hit 42, and they're even worse now that six more dorves have migrated. We're having trouble keeping up with demand, and may need to build more workshops. This will require expanding our workshop area, though.
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: December 09, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »

So a forgotten beast has attacked, a humanoid made of morganite. He'd apparently been in quite a fight previously, because every part of his body was roughed up in some way (bruises, fractures, etc.). Now, this would be scary enough alone, but you won't believe how he's attacking.

He grabbed the first dwarf he saw, tore his x<pig tail fiber coat>x off, and butchered both my squads with it. He actually broke my Baroness's spine with the coat, and quite a few dwarves have gotten it jammed into their brain, and even twisted around in the wound.

Does it still count as cherry tapping if the imrpovised weapon is deadlier in your hands than a real weapon?

UPDATE: It's finally dead. I had to create a new squad and assign them Adamantine swords, but they managed to gang up on it and cut it's head off. He used that pig tail fiber coat to kill eleven dwarves, plus three cats. my broker was among the fatalities, but his replacement says the coat is now worth 70. I'm not sure if value goes up based on kills, though.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 08:20:29 pm by Samuel »

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: December 09, 2010, 08:14:22 pm »

PArt 22 of my LP is up.

In which everything works out in my favor once. Weird, I'm used to at least one thing going wrong with everything I try at this point. So I'm guessing Alath will die from some random syndrome to balance this all out.

Seriously, it feel so weird to have a military I actually depend on. After Townbrush, I've been stuck in the mindset that all military dwarves are lemmings that will get themselves killed at the first opportunity, so don't count on them to do jack unless you've covered them in adamantine from head to toe. In which case they will instead throw themselves into some body of water and drown to death.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: December 09, 2010, 08:26:11 pm »

Making Lovecraftian sausages
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: December 09, 2010, 08:28:38 pm »

Ah, IK, your adventures with the military get more hilarious every time.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: December 09, 2010, 08:29:20 pm »

It was all fun and games until..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: December 09, 2010, 08:35:55 pm »

So in my current and most successful fort ever, Orbmurder, I've had a forgotten beast - a snow blob, to be precise - sitting at the bottom of my underground magma pipe for the last two years. I stopped getting "The forgotten beast is caught in a pool of magma!" messages after about three months, and so far its only injury is a missing wing, removed by the axedwarf it dodged down the pipe to get away from. I've dropped two caveins on the bastard. Help me!
くコ:彡

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:00 pm »

After my most memorable experience with a forgotten beast ever, the game crashes. No save. Everybody back to life, including the creature. Would be cheating to use my knowledge of the future to save their lives, so I abandon the fortress. Feel a little depressed. Will start a new fortress. Maybe one where people die less often.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 3842