Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120266 times)

EvilFuzzy9

• Bay Watcher
  • The Uncommon Loon
    • View Profile
    • My Fanfiction.net Profile (Note: A lot of the information is outdated by virtue of the fact that I'm too lazy to change it)
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7860 on: November 10, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  Oh heavens, this is just hilarious.  I manage to seal Stosbub in the old, mostly unused part of my fortress, which only contained six smoothed bedrooms my only still (a horrible oversight, on my part) and a craftsman's workshop.  Oh, and several of my humans, too.  Of particular note was the bone doctor mother of an infant and a child.  She was in her bed when the beast attacked, and she and her baby were ripped apart.  The child survived, however, and is trapped in the empty level between Stosbub and the shaft leading down through the caverns (though the shaft at the second cavern is submerged in 7/7 water due to a failed attempt at dousing a layer of semi-molten rock).  There was one other living person trapped on the layer with the little girl -- a female human planter named Use Fordworship.  She heroically built a wall to keep Stosbub from escaping to the caverns below (I had been planning on using a cave-in to kill Stosbub, but I ultimately deemed it too risky for any of my three legendary miners).  For her act of selfless heroism, I gave her the custom profession name "She Gave her Life to Stop Stosbub".  However, shortly after this was finished, I received a visit from Aca Ithacavere Lima Mima (Aca Sheenknights the Sport of Coloring), a female cyclops.  HAHAHAHA! Is that not hilarious?!

But I think I'll see what I can do, because win or lose, it's still Fun as hell, doncha'know.

[EDIT:] When I looked at the unit screen to find out where the cyclops had gone, I noticed that Stosbub wasn't there.  Curious, I investigated.  You know what I found?  Stosbu's rotting corpse.  It was killed by a woodburner punching it in the head, bruising the brain through the skull.  Of course, the wood burner died as well, but seeing "Stosbu Diedseas the Fiend of Lakes (I guess it must've gotten the name when I wasn't looking). d. 253" on the kill list of one Cuthroz Wumuthalo "Cuthroz Paddedscaled", Wood Burner, made my day. According to his profile his physical traits are described as "He is very strong."  Well, I should certainly think so, considering he punched out a MOTHERFUCKING forgotten beast.  I think that, if nothing else, this fortress was worth it just for this.

(I don't care if Stosbu was already pretty much dead on its feet when it got here, it was still awesome.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 07:37:19 pm by EvilFuzzy9 »

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7861 on: November 10, 2010, 08:00:22 pm »

I just got a visit from a Bronze. Freakin'. COLOSSUS. When the message popped up, I went, in almost typical dwarven fashion, "Can it avoid traps?" As it turns out, it can't, so it got caught by my field of cage traps. :D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7862 on: November 10, 2010, 08:03:03 pm »

I just got a visit from a Bronze. Freakin'. COLOSSUS. When the message popped up, I went, in almost typical dwarven fashion, "Can it avoid traps?" As it turns out, it can't, so it got caught by my field of cage traps. :D

Try to tame it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7863 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:38 pm »

I did (I even modded in the [PET] and [TAMEABLE] tags), but it's listed as guest ??? .
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7864 on: November 10, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

You won't be disappointed with these current HFS, they come with FUN add on's you wouldn't think of.
Awesome.

I just hit the third level of caverns in my quest to fill the coffins of Paddledeeps. Took a lot less time than I expected since the top of the third cavern level was seriously one z level under the bottom of the 2nd. WTF? We're nowhere near the bottom of the world, maybe there's more caverns under these ones? How does the crust not collapse on itself? Who cares?
KEEP DIGGING

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7865 on: November 10, 2010, 10:52:22 pm »

I was watching the guard beat a troll with their training weapons -- about 130 pages of brutality -- when I got the pink message: "(Cat) has collided with an obstacle and died." When I checked, there was a cat in five pieces at the bottom of the aqueduct drainage. That...was funnier than it should be. "That never happens. But I'll grate it over just to be safe. Carry on, guards."

Less than a minute later, "(Cat) has collided with an obstacle and died." Wtf, they didn't dive into it when it was a well. Copycat suicide? That was the angry Hammerlord's oldest pet -- not quite so funny. But he's fine, I'll just hatch it so it's not pet-passable. Back to the troll-clobbering show.

Did you know that 1/7 running water can sweep an infant away? Yeah, a furniture hauling mother cancelled installing the hatch to seek her infant. I found her first; a body and four pieces on the drainage grate down at the cavern ceiling. Now I know she wasn't looking for lungfish.

Alright, I had wanted an excuse to shut the water down anyway, to link the buffer floodgate; never know when I want to launch an extra burst of pressure down the channel. I had to break some wall for that, just to let the sloooooowest mechanic-in-training to hang out with his elephant in there, giving every curious kid and critter opportunity, as I feared, to amble along the conveniently ramped sluice. There was 1/7 running water here too, still leaking from the breach, and I found out that an infant can survive a 1-level drop without injury. Though I imagine once she got over her stunning, she was screaming her baby head off.

And just as the slowpoke was done and a mason was on the way to restore the wall, the cat of a legendary mason/engraver came sniffing around, and darted down the ramp. That'll be a tragedy, but two things I'd wanted were to curtail the cat population and test the full pressure potential with the barrier system in place, to see how quickly it would fill the aqueduct. I expected it to wash the cat straight down the entire length of the aqueduct; what it did was smash him against the barrier wall at that level's drop-off. Five more kitty-bits.

The last level's drop didn't have a barrier, and unfortunately the pressure wasn't the least bit reduced by the barrier at each level drop; it sprayed again out into the courtyard, much closer to ground level. The flood washed one cat down the first entrance ramp so hard that it died on collision, this time in one easy piece. Another cat, a farmhand and a war leopard down into the bottom of the entry well where, again because the doors were closed, they drowned submerged in 11/7 water.

No one seems to be ecstatic anymore. Could be worse, there haven't been berserk rumblings yet.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7866 on: November 10, 2010, 11:16:31 pm »

I was watching the guard beat a troll with their training weapons -- about 130 pages of brutality -- when I got the pink message: "(Cat) has collided with an obstacle and died." When I checked, there was a cat in five pieces at the bottom of the aqueduct drainage. That...was funnier than it should be. "That never happens. But I'll grate it over just to be safe. Carry on, guards."

Less than a minute later, "(Cat) has collided with an obstacle and died." Wtf, they didn't dive into it when it was a well. Copycat suicide? That was the angry Hammerlord's oldest pet -- not quite so funny. But he's fine, I'll just hatch it so it's not pet-passable. Back to the troll-clobbering show.

Did you know that 1/7 running water can sweep an infant away? Yeah, a furniture hauling mother cancelled installing the hatch to seek her infant. I found her first; a body and four pieces on the drainage grate down at the cavern ceiling. Now I know she wasn't looking for lungfish.

Alright, I had wanted an excuse to shut the water down anyway, to link the buffer floodgate; never know when I want to launch an extra burst of pressure down the channel. I had to break some wall for that, just to let the sloooooowest mechanic-in-training to hang out with his elephant in there, giving every curious kid and critter opportunity, as I feared, to amble along the conveniently ramped sluice. There was 1/7 running water here too, still leaking from the breach, and I found out that an infant can survive a 1-level drop without injury. Though I imagine once she got over her stunning, she was screaming her baby head off.

And just as the slowpoke was done and a mason was on the way to restore the wall, the cat of a legendary mason/engraver came sniffing around, and darted down the ramp. That'll be a tragedy, but two things I'd wanted were to curtail the cat population and test the full pressure potential with the barrier system in place, to see how quickly it would fill the aqueduct. I expected it to wash the cat straight down the entire length of the aqueduct; what it did was smash him against the barrier wall at that level's drop-off. Five more kitty-bits.

The last level's drop didn't have a barrier, and unfortunately the pressure wasn't the least bit reduced by the barrier at each level drop; it sprayed again out into the courtyard, much closer to ground level. The flood washed one cat down the first entrance ramp so hard that it died on collision, this time in one easy piece. Another cat, a farmhand and a war leopard down into the bottom of the entry well where, again because the doors were closed, they drowned submerged in 11/7 water.

No one seems to be ecstatic anymore. Could be worse, there haven't been berserk rumblings yet.

I lol'd, and then was struck by deja vu as I recalled a fortress where everybody and their pets (and war grizzlies!) mysteriously dove down the well while it was filling...

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7867 on: November 11, 2010, 01:30:08 am »

Nightmarespires started so well.  Volcano in one corner, brook in other.

Up to 40 dwarves soon, magma furnaces churning.  But it was so far between the fields near the brook and the furnaces, that nothing got planted.  And the brook was frozen 9 months of the year. And the caverns (60 levels down) didn't have any water, so when the trapper got ambushed and injured, I got spammed a lot by good meaning wanna-be water givers.

Then the goblins ambushed, as I was building a large gate tower,  Sneaked in a complicated corner/slope/thing that I didn't realise was an entry, and managed to slaughter 38 dwarves.  The last action of the expedition leader, who killed three goblins with his pick, was to tunnel through the magma wall in the foundry, but he was ambushed and beaten badly by an insane bull on the way out, leaving only the legless chief medical dwarf to slowly starve.

How dwarfish...

Beats the one before - first time embarking in a terrifying biome, and once I got used to every bit of wildlife being a zombie, it wasn't so bad.  Except goblins invading before the first frigging caravan, and killing all except 4 of the dwarves.  I think they knew they were leaving the rest for the zombie yeti...

This time - magma + flux + water in one place, or I'm genning a new world.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7868 on: November 11, 2010, 03:13:35 am »

"A huge eight legged quadrupled composed of water"

... but... but then it's not a quadrupled at all, is it?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7869 on: November 11, 2010, 03:17:21 am »

Quadrupleds don't exist, so it's only natural that you'd be confused.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

SineHacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7870 on: November 11, 2010, 05:17:15 am »

I have 6 squads on the go, every captain and leader is miserable because of some loss, my bad ass legendary hammerdwarf commander (seven years training and kobold smashing) got miserable after an underground troll punched his kitten to a pulp while he idled nearby. He then went berserk and rampaged up some 10 z levels killing anything in his way including most of my well trained military, finally to be put to rest by a hunter on the surface with a bone bolt?? Pussies.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7871 on: November 11, 2010, 10:32:25 am »

I have recently discovered that one of my dwarves is named "Uzol Mengfoker". As inherently funny as it is, the translation has it's own subtle badassery: "Lashslip". And he does indeed live up to his awesome name: 5 kills to his credit, including 4 Troglodytes, one of which was named, and an Elf. Not to mention he was one of the participants in my failed attack on the human trader who I'm fairly certain was Bruce Lee. While almost everybody else is lying in the hospital clutching their broken limbs, he's running an Individual Combat Drill with his body covered in fractures and dents.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7872 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:54 am »

FYI: I love this thread.

The fortress of Likotmorul is the first one which I built in a relatively non-organic way. To get past my trade depot, they would need to destroy pressure plates and not destroy the hatch cover shortly thereafter. Thus I feel pretty safe from fortress-destroying sieges for a while. For trader safety, the entrance is bridge and wall guarded with cage traps aruond the entrance. Every goblin I catch is then put on display next to the depot, intimidating any who seek harm. I'm quite proud so far.

Anyways, more recently I just recieved my first sort of goblin siege. They brought something like 15 or so goblins and a giant olm. The first test of my fort! yes! Their are elves in the trade depot too! I raise the alarm and send all civilians inside, then close the gate. I build a few traps inside in case they burn through my relatively small military (7 sword dwarves, though 4 of those are novices). I lower the gate, and prepare for fun.

Only the mini hoard of goblins are slow as molasses. They leasurely walk toward my gate as if on a picnic. My dwarves become bored out of their mind. So I rush them and hastily slay about half of the goblins and the olm, the other half fleeing for their lives. It was a sort of anticlimactic battle.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7873 on: November 11, 2010, 01:01:41 pm »

Nightmarespires started so well.  Volcano in one corner, brook in other.

I think that might be your problem right there.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7874 on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:11 pm »

Yesterday my military bugged and wasn't doing my order to kill a bunch of Antmen that was giving my civvies a lot of trouble underground.
I gave the squads order to Station around the Antmen, only to see them glitch some more and run away/barely fight against the monsters.
I lost almost 10 dorfs to a single Antmen, and I got so pissed I kicked my computer accidentally, it resetted and I lost 4 or more game hours.

I guess I'm the Time Titan or something..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: 1 ... 523 524 [525] 526 527 ... 3842