Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972868 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7815 on: November 08, 2010, 09:01:02 pm »

You won't be disappointed with these current HFS, they come with FUN add on's you wouldn't think of.
Nom nom nom

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7816 on: November 08, 2010, 10:15:33 pm »

Well it looks like the merchants misplaced their pack animals....such a shame maybe they'll survive....or maybe they won't

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7817 on: November 08, 2010, 10:40:48 pm »

They've probably sewn his lower arm right ontoto the shoulder.

Hah, I wouldn't put that past my medic... He's a bit daft. :)
Maybe he knows how to crochete.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:43:32 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: November 08, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »

Remember my earlier post about skeletal crocs?

Well, I've decided that I'm turning that fort into a story fort.

The entrances are strewn with skeletons of all sorts - not much armor, for the dwarves here are too desperate to let that resource go uncollected. The entranceway is a mishmash of a magma pitfall and hammertraps, poised to knock any invader foolish enough to enter to a hot, molten death. The main level is a hubbub of dwarves hauling stuff about, brewing drinks, and doing... generally dwarven things. The caverns have gone untouched, but not for long.... for this fortress of fixed 30-dwarf-population is here to conquer anything between it and glory.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Salvefocuses. We may not have miasma, but we've got skeletons! Lots of skeletons!

Edit: And as I typed this, it would appear that some "fiends of nature" have decided to try an ambush. Pathetic - our traps will destroy them rapidly.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: November 09, 2010, 12:28:29 am »

New fortress, not an ounce of Fun to speak of as of yet.

First dwarf to go moody? The smith from my original seven. It was secretive, and he chose weaponsmithing over armorsmithing (they were both at competent and he's performed no jobs yet.

I receive: 1 artifact iron shortsword, only one item used though so it's relatively cheap, and won't be all that great in combat no doubt. Still, I can now easily produce heaps of high-quality weapons, which will then be decorated with lovely gem, bone, and shell. Way better than a magical barrel and a jeweler whom may or may not be a witch.

As for the embark, it's pretty good. Perfectly flat scorching black sand desert, no trees or brush except for a little bit of white sand desert in the south-west corner that yields shrubbery. I have a stream running down the center with mussels (as well as large, dangerous fish such as carp).  The first two stone layers are rock salt and gabbro, and there's a magma pipe in the first cavern. Only major problem is that I'll need to import flux for steel, but that shouldn't be hard if I can hold my gates well enough against sieges.
The only plans I'm going to use are what I've laid up for a grand dining room with waterfalls. This will be the most organically designed fortress I've done in a LONG time! I do have one goal though; extermination or isolation of the different religious sects, either there will be one god or none may speak to one another.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7820 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:16 am »

Once again, an elaborate elf-killing machine has been thwarted by a camel keeping the floodgates from shutting properly. When The Troll was released from it's cage, it set upon the Elves as expected, but they escaped through the exit made by their stupid camels. Luckily, the Troll was recaptured by the row of traps outside, as planned, and I can fix the trap to have a little more room for livestock. Meanwhile, my military made short work of the Merchants, and my haulers leapt to work to take their stuff inside.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: November 09, 2010, 02:12:20 am »

Life in Salvefocuses seems to be prosperous. Everything's going right, for a change - haven't been really bothered by anything since the elf ambush. It's almost too good to be true - some of the dwarves got married, and one couple had a baby. The skeletal alligators and buzzards continue to try to plague us, and are continually thwarted by the hammertraps either pulverizing them or shoving them into the magma.

We have had 2 artifacts created - a bluemetal statue of some mountain titan (which annoyed me because the guy who made it had points in weaponsmithing), and a bone shield created by our chef. We also have a third guy who's possessed and running around hoovering up all the stone my miners have dug up - the haulers are assisting him via a temporary stone stockpile since they have nothing better to do. Planepacking is good for stone artifacts.

We had a titan show up. It was a pulsating ball of dung that moved with determination and had deadly spit. I sent a dwarf after it with a (-steel sword-) I had got off the caravan earlier. It took the dwarf 3 lines of combat report to kill it. First line: He misses. Second line: He slashes it, tears some tissue, and it practically explodes into a pile of crap.

So yeah, everything's relatively peaceful.... for now.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: November 09, 2010, 02:59:14 am »

Ah! A major has been appointed! Let's see... she's a legendary carpenter thanks to a strange mood! so she's useful around the fort... and she likes slade.  :o

Okay, no need to panic, she hasn't mandated anything yet.

...She also hates Cave Spiders, one of which I happen to have in my animal stockpile. At least I know what to do if she starts demanding anything physically impossible. :P

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7823 on: November 09, 2010, 06:30:32 am »

☼steel ballista arrow head☼ are finally coming out the forge, and the channels surrounding the entrance to save them have been dug out.

only ≡ballista parts≡, however, are at the ready. but those will do, for now.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7824 on: November 09, 2010, 10:53:13 am »

The siege finally came, while the human caravan was halfway across the field to my gates. A little under a hundred goblins, about a dozen trolls, none of them mounted, so it wasn't my largest siege. Still, it was a mess. I took two units out into the field, too late to save any merchants, and every one of my soldiers survived. I didn't even lose a recruit.

Well, not counting the miner I recruited because it looked like he was tough enough to make up for his stupidity. He was startled by a kobold thief that had snuck through, and retreated along the deathtrail right into the arms of lingering axegoblins and hammergoblins. He promptly whacked one of each with his exceptional steel pick, before getting knocked off the cliff into a ditch filled with stunned and broken goblins and trolls.

But it was less than half full of cooling magma, and he survived. And he took out another troll and a spearmaster! He crawled into the drainage which was still blocked with scattered with lava patches, while the invaders were taking blasts of boiling blood of their comrades. I'd finished off the aboveground and stationed a fresh unit to the hatch until a path cleared in the lava down below, and put archers on the bridge over it.

The miner seemed to be doing well in spite of everyone's unwillingness to fight, but I figured if enough came to and got up the courage, they'd swamp him before I could get a rescue down there. So I recruited him into a militia and stationed him next to a dazed goblin.

He immediately dropped the pick he owed so much of his survival to, ran over to punch the goblin a few times, and got hacked across the throat with an axe. What a pity.

Well, the lava is still cooling, and the squad is still twiddling while the few archers that could be bothered to show up are cherrytapping the crippled gobbos with bone bolts. I could just flood the ditch, but I guess a decent burial is the least the dumb bastard is owed.

EDIT: Ah, but the law giver human who'd made it safely through and finished a meeting with the count...many times I've seen him take the perfectly safe subterranean exit, which was clear and open. Instead he just had to stroll through the cluster of routing axemen. So that's yet another human body on my doorstep, head detatched. I don't think the humans are sending a caravan next year.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:56:13 am by Uzu Bash »

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7825 on: November 09, 2010, 11:11:12 am »

Unless they're properly stunned/unconscionized, no.

So...

We could cage an elf.... ?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7826 on: November 09, 2010, 11:54:08 am »

Migrants! My fort is saved! Of course, the place's main industry right now is murder and body disposal, so that could be a problem.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: November 09, 2010, 12:00:39 pm »

So...

Of course. That's how we get caged elves after all, if we aren't caging ambushes and sieges that is.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7828 on: November 09, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

Eh, just the presence of these creeps was causing a major traffic jam. The remaining lava blocking the footsoldiers was like a watched pot; except it's already boiling, and sure as hell isn't cooling. The marksdwarves disappeared, eventually the archer with the artifact bow came, spent her quiver ('Are those willow arrows, soldier? Cute, but this isn't a training exercise!') at least took down 4, and stood around uselessly.

Meanwhile panicking idiots who can remember a pretty hatch cover for a month can't remember what made them cancel a job 5 seconds ago, so they were busy doing nothing except jobs which wouldn't complete. Restricting the areas didn't help, because some civilians like to trudge deep into restricted areas before going 'Oh, this is forbidden!' This is the reason I lost a few other civilians, and the reason I couldn't clear the cavern floor quickly enough when the next beast showed up.

Okay, two units deployed topside, the ones that came off duty had been off their training month long enough to scatter their masterwork steel in every direction. So I resealed the hatch no one could pass anyway and sent the boots back downstairs. Two marksdwarves still picking up their gear and one archer standing inexplicably stockfuckingstill weren't going anywhere near that deployment. The beast took out a child and a reasonably good cook before the champions arrived. Yay -- except it's the unit with all the macedwarves, so of course this won't be over quickly. A recruit with two picks in one hand ("akimbo -- you're doing it wrong") helped speed things up, but not before the fisherdwarf it was clutching finally had the life shook out of him.

Hm, only summer and already an eventful year. With a total casualty rate of 6, it's been more fun and bloodshed than this fort's seen in awhile. Hope we're getting used to tragedy...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7829 on: November 09, 2010, 12:30:51 pm »

So...

And even your own dorfs.
Caught a lvl 15 Bone Doctor this way, but all he knew was Splash, so I released him.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 520 521 [522] 523 524 ... 3839