Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969551 times)

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7800 on: November 08, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

Now that's how to do it.

Can try building a secondary pipe from the spillway (using a drawbridge as the path switcher) and making a second reservoir, possibly over the fortress entrance, to accumulate any possible overflowing magma and/or use it as a last-ditch defense method. But that's entirely up to you, since it's great enough as it is.

It's tempting. Since the workshop level is under the entrance, I'll need to add some pumps to the main stack, with a hatch cover on their intake, so that I can pump magma in the main reservoir without filling the doomsday one.

First I have a bridge through a canyon to finish (that will become the only walkable entrance to the fort), then I'll work on that. Wait, I can pump the magma inside the sidewalls of the bridge itself. That's a !!trap!!
I'll need to remake all the surface of the bridge with magma safe materials, but I't just started, so it won't be a huge work.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7801 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »

Now that's how to do it.

Can try building a secondary pipe from the spillway (using a drawbridge as the path switcher) and making a second reservoir, possibly over the fortress entrance, to accumulate any possible overflowing magma and/or use it as a last-ditch defense method. But that's entirely up to you, since it's great enough as it is.

It's tempting. Since the workshop level is under the entrance, I'll need to add some pumps to the main stack, with a hatch cover on their intake, so that I can pump magma in the main reservoir without filling the doomsday one.

First I have a bridge through a canyon to finish (that will become the only walkable entrance to the fort), then I'll work on that. Wait, I can pump the magma inside the sidewalls of the bridge itself. That's a !!trap!!
I'll need to remake all the surface of the bridge with magma safe materials, but I't just started, so it won't be a huge work.

And it will be the dwarfiest bridge ever.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: November 08, 2010, 02:08:26 pm »

Meanwhile, I found an awesome embark. A volcano that is essentially a magma pipe with magma one z-level below the ground, the entire surface only spanning two z-levels, with tons of water and wood. Warm and no aquifers. I think it will be mostly an abovegrounder, but with obsidian.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: November 08, 2010, 02:17:42 pm »

It's been 18 years or so, and I still haven't even reached magma. Or HFS.
It's time to fix that.
This fort needs more blood.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: November 08, 2010, 04:00:09 pm »

I now have a perfectly running 12-year fortress with 81 living, 7 dead, 17 steel-clad training-room-trained legendary soldiers (no candy!), a duke, 246 dead goblins and about 4839953 created wealth. My civ relationships are running smooth, goblins are sieging twice a year but are always killed without landing a single blow (on dwarves), I am currently working on a gigantic outdoors trap-laced fortress out of strip-mined obsidian, my dwarves are so happy their moustaches are mistaken for sideburns, and the queen should pop up any time soon, should she be able to.

Time for fun.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: November 08, 2010, 04:02:16 pm »

It's been 18 years or so, and I still haven't even reached magma. Or HFS.
It's time to fix that.
This fort needs more blood.
I now have a perfectly running 12-year fortress with 81 living, 7 dead, 17 steel-clad training-room-trained legendary soldiers (no candy!), a duke, 246 dead goblins and about 4839953 created wealth. My civ relationships are running smooth, goblins are sieging twice a year but are always killed without landing a single blow (on dwarves), I am currently working on a gigantic outdoors trap-laced fortress out of strip-mined obsidian, my dwarves are so happy their moustaches are mistaken for sideburns, and the queen should pop up any time soon, should she be able to.

Time for fun.

Better post the stories of your long runners' downfall.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: November 08, 2010, 05:01:43 pm »

Exactly what I'm planning to do :D
I've reached the 2nd caverns, and there is a forgotten beasts with noxious fumes walking around the 1st ones. I'm not sure what it is waiting for. It must know there is a bunch of marksdwarves behind fortifications to take it down.
Meanwhile, I'm redoing the whole exterior of my fortress to make it aesthetic at last. One wounded dwarf who got infected during her fall! And she's a skilled doctor. Everything is going to get worse soon.
Just as planned.
My fortress will become dwarfy or will not be! Also, why the frig is it not a barony yet.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: November 08, 2010, 05:23:57 pm »

I've reached the 2nd caverns, and there is a forgotten beasts with noxious fumes walking around the 1st ones. I'm not sure what it is waiting for. It must know there is a bunch of marksdwarves behind fortifications to take it down.
Meanwhile, I'm redoing the whole exterior of my fortress to make it aesthetic at last. One wounded dwarf who got infected during her fall! And she's a skilled doctor. Everything is going to get worse soon.
Just as planned.
My fortress will become dwarfy or will not be! Also, why the frig is it not a barony yet.

Maybe because of the barony bug? Try keeping the outpost liaison occupied until the caravan leaves the map, then he will offer you to become a barony. Just don't let him conduct a meeting with the leader.

Meanwhile, my new fortress, Starhalls, is doing fine. I finally installed Dwarf Therapist and it's making my life much easier. The carpenters of the fort are slow for some reason.
Got a few farms up, some with aboveground crops, some with underground. Dug out an entire hill next to the volcano-in-the-ground and hollowed out a room around the edge of the volcano for future use. Going to start magma industries nearby. Preparing an obsidian caster in the meanwhile, a 20x20x2 chamber (it's actually bigger, but the 'operational' area is such). It's almost complete.
The first kobold thief followed the first human caravan but made the mistake of jumping in front of my chained dog swarm (two adult dog and a ton of puppies). He was struck down in a couple of frames.
Completed the wall around the volcano. Planning to erect a tower, will start once the obsidian caster is operational.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 05:31:17 pm by NewSheoth »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: November 08, 2010, 05:27:18 pm »

Just as planned.
Maybe because of the barony bug? Try keeping the outpost liaison occupied until the caravan leaves the map, then he will offer you to become a barony. Just don't let him conduct a meeting with the leader.
Oh, I wasn't aware of this bug, thanks for telling me. I'll try that next time. I almost "succeeded" last time because he was stuck in my sewer system for terribly long and almost drowned a bunch of times...

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: November 08, 2010, 05:32:59 pm »

A Dwarf in a strange mood probably came within inches of going crazy before I finally figured out that he needed more bones, which is why he wasn't collecting all the other stuff I made for him.

Also, The second level of the caverns are apparently home to things called Elk Birds, which I've never encountered before. They haven't killed anybody yet, but they're hostile. I'm considered cancelling all subterranean wood cutting until the Elk Birds have been lured to the surface and caught in my ring of cage traps, along with my caged troglodytes, giant Olms, the cave crocodile, and various other subterranean beasties that I can't figure out how to safely get into a pit to drop Elves into.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: November 08, 2010, 05:46:09 pm »

A Dwarf in a strange mood probably came within inches of going crazy before I finally figured out that he needed more bones, which is why he wasn't collecting all the other stuff I made for him.

Also, The second level of the caverns are apparently home to things called Elk Birds, which I've never encountered before. They haven't killed anybody yet, but they're hostile. I'm considered cancelling all subterranean wood cutting until the Elk Birds have been lured to the surface and caught in my ring of cage traps, along with my caged troglodytes, giant Olms, the cave crocodile, and various other subterranean beasties that I can't figure out how to safely get into a pit to drop Elves into.

At least they're flightless. Otherwise it would've been more unpleasant than that.

Meanwhile at Starhalls, dumping the kobold's corpse into the volcano revealed a curious thing - the magma sea is darn high up. Semi-molten rock is as high as -45z. All the previous worlds with the same parameters had it begin around -100z.
Also, a possible source of !!fun!!: a huge cavern lake, possibly refilling from the edge of the map, is only separated from the volcano by one tile of rock.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: November 08, 2010, 06:04:58 pm »

At least they're flightless. Otherwise it would've been more unpleasant than that.

Indeed. They're all caged, now, and I have also developed a method of at least getting the Caged Troll in the right place so that I can unleash him on the Elf Merchants. Getting him back in the cage may be a little harder. Merchants don't get caught by cage traps, right?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 06:06:58 pm by Samuel »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: November 08, 2010, 06:17:18 pm »

Indeed. They're all caged, now, and I have also developed a method of at least getting the Caged Troll in the right place so that I can unleash him on the Elf Merchants. Getting him back in the cage may be a little harder. Merchants don't get caught by cage traps, right?

Unless they're properly stunned/unconscionized, no.

Meanwhile at Starhalls, a stonecrafter's gone secretive and demanded gems... right after the dwarf caravan left. Had to sift through the rock below the fortress and breach a cavern in order to reach some gems. As a bonus, I got emeralds as those gems.
The cavern is full of magma pools. Guess I've embarked on a volcanically active spot.
Just as the emeralds were about to get cut, the stonecrafter went moody. Strange, he didn't spend that much time in his mood.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:03:57 pm by NewSheoth »

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: November 08, 2010, 07:36:14 pm »

Aside from the Reliquary semi-megaproject, my other OCD pastime with Copperparched is the fort's over-the-top ranching operation. We now have selective breeding programs in place for the following critters:
--Horses
--Cattle
--One-humped camels
--Two-humped camels
--Muskox
--Elk
--Mountain goats
--Dogs
--Grizzly bears
--Donkeys

If the elves oblige, I will soon add foxes, raccoons and black bears to the list.

Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: November 08, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »

After a year of sending a siege a season the goblins seem to have slacked off. I was hoping they'd kill off my fort in time for the new version, but in the two years after the the last siege they've only sent one pathetic ambush.
Looks like I'm gonna have to dig down for some fun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 3839