Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969602 times)

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7785 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:33 am »

And also, is there a way to zoom the screen on a particular stored item? 'z' tells me I have stone blocks, but I can't find them.

TAB while on the stock screen will give you the detailed list of EVERY item of the type selected ("blocks" in this instance), so you can choose one and zoom on it.
I dare not use it on some items, too (I fear that loading the full list of stones will freeze my computer forever...)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7786 on: November 08, 2010, 09:08:33 am »

Abandoned my project of building a massive tower out of green glass.. Just too much of hassle.

Instead, I'm gonna build one out of stone blocks!

Build it out of everything you have that you can spare for building purposes. Inc. green glass.

Finally, I have a couple of decent medical dwarves! They're trying, at least.
It's getting to be like a hospital drama, only with added good-ol'-fashioned dwarven incompetence!
"Hey Urist, want me to dye the threads before you suture that?"
"Uh... Okay. Should make them work better, aye! Meanwhile I'll rearrange this pile of stuff- Oh, where did I put that needle..."

EDIT: Uhhh, okay then, one of my dwarves is in a mood, working on a mysterious construction.... In the butcher shop?!??
Be afraid. Be very afraid. This post is so going on the facepalms thread if it turns out to be something like: "Corkbundles the steak of hammering". :D

'We're losin' him! We're losin' him, Urist!'
'Dibs on his socks!'

And it will probably be a really, really good steak. Is there a way to add forgotten beast extracts to it?
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: November 08, 2010, 09:17:24 am »

Thanks Kardwill!
Oh and it turned out to be Zimeshastod Eknarusan, "Phantomgulf the Ugly Murder", a warthog bone bracelet. :P
It sort of sums up my fort so far, actually! Add to that that the person who made it was completely coated with blood and had had all their friends killed by a berserk dwarf...
I can see why they'd make something like that. :/

No engravings, though, I am disappointed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

slyeye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7788 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:45 am »

My fort was just attacked by a zombie giant, named "something something the Just Golds" which was, after recalling ALL my dorfs inside, dispatched by an axedwarf in three strikes. Oddly enough, the she was wielding a copper pick at the time and she was not credited with the kill despite being the only creature near the giant. (except for that one sneaky lungfish...)

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:28 am »

Abandoned my project of building a massive tower out of green glass.. Just too much of hassle.

Poser. I haven't abandoned my dream of Glassfort!

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: November 08, 2010, 09:44:06 am »

Try building a tower reaching into the skies (max z-level).

Also, someone built a star destroyer completely out of green glass.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7791 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:15 am »

Man, my first big dream of a sorta megaproject shattered in the research stage.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: November 08, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

Man, my first big dream of a sorta megaproject shattered in the research stage.

Just build a gigantic hand showing the middle finger to wherever caravans and sieges like to come from. Or carve it out of a mountain.

For an added dwarfbonus, make your entire fort inside that hand.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7793 on: November 08, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

Poser? Pragmatist is more fitting. Try building your Glassfort. Unless you put 90% of your dorfs to the task of making glass blocks it's gonna take an assload of time to get everything done.

Besides, I'n not building my tower out of ugly random rock. It's gonna be obsidian for the outer walls and will have color-coded floors (including glass ones).
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7794 on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:59 am »

Goblins haven't harassed us since we hit the 10 million wealth landmark. I don't know if that's a connection or a coincidence, but it's been peaceful enough to get restless. Still no shortage of goblinite to burn, and the dead ditch is gradually emptying out every time we run a magma wash. We may have to pick a fight with another nation, just to keep our teeth sharp.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7795 on: November 08, 2010, 10:54:59 am »

What's going on in my fort?
Well, my dwarfs are all succumbing to infections and I have no idea how to cure them or how they get them in the frst place.  Well maybe the gorilla's caused them, which brings me to the 2nd thing going on in my fortress: Dwarfs bringing cages to the trade depot, but the do NOT take the gorilla's with them.... it took my military (totally inexperienced) to kill it, but the managed to do so because the gorilla didn't fight back (the battle reports were like 20 pages per gorilla...)

stupid dwarfs...

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: November 08, 2010, 11:17:01 am »

Goblins haven't harassed us since we hit the 10 million wealth landmark. I don't know if that's a connection or a coincidence, but it's been peaceful enough to get restless. Still no shortage of goblinite to burn, and the dead ditch is gradually emptying out every time we run a magma wash. We may have to pick a fight with another nation, just to keep our teeth sharp.

They're either too scared of such a fortress, or are preparing to come with a force numbering thousands of goblins and hundreds of siege beasts.
Personally, I'd prefer the second approach.

Lord Vetinari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7797 on: November 08, 2010, 11:50:29 am »

My magmaduct is finished, and I'm quite proud of it.

A pump stack of fourty z levels, from a magma pipe to the workshop floor of the fort, 30 of which are constructed because they pass through non magma safe layers, and five are hanging over the magma.
The magma is pumped into a 20x20 reservoir, for traps (in future) and forges needs. It has a spillway that runs along the pump stack tower for emergency and a side pipe that I'll use for an experimental obsidian factory.

It took four game years, a ton of glass for the pumps and magma safe rocks for walls and floors. No casualties among the workers, no deep beasts invasion during the work.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 12:03:32 pm by Lord Vetinari »

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: November 08, 2010, 11:55:00 am »

My magmaduct is finished, and I'm quite proud of it.

A pump stack of fourty z levels, from a magma pipe to the workshop floor of the fort, 30 of which are constructed because the pass throughnon magma safe layers, and five are hanging over the magma.
The magma is pumped into a 20x20 reservoir, for traps (in future) and forges needs. It has a spillway that runs along the pump stack tower for emergency and a side pipe that I'll use for an experimental obsidian factory.

It took four game years, a ton of glass for the pumps and magma safe rocks for walls and floors. No casualties among the workers, no deep beast invasion during the work.

Now that's how to do it.

Can try building a secondary pipe from the spillway (using a drawbridge as the path switcher) and making a second reservoir, possibly over the fortress entrance, to accumulate any possible overflowing magma and/or use it as a last-ditch defense method. But that's entirely up to you, since it's great enough as it is.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7799 on: November 08, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »

They're either too scared of such a fortress, or are preparing to come with a force numbering thousands of goblins and hundreds of siege beasts.
Personally, I'd prefer the second approach.
I'd love for the law-giver to lead the attack, so I can conclusively spank that whole civ. They were constantly disrupting my projects, but now that I've got nothing massive in the works, where the hell are they?
Pages: 1 ... 518 519 [520] 521 522 ... 3839