Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966045 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7770 on: November 07, 2010, 07:51:29 pm »

I decide to embark on a desert with a brook for the heck of it. To my surprise, everything was covered in snow. Boo. That'll be a problem.
Now checking my full inventory i decide to picture the expidition in my head. I was amused at the mental image of dwarves in a frozen wasteland driving foward a wagon with barrels full of Camel eyes, dead turtles, beer, and mushrooms; all being pulled by a single Camel tripping over the two cats and many dogs at it's feet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7771 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:47 pm »

Another snatcher(might have been one who visited before) managed to chip one of my new haulers' upper spine, then got away because the enite military was Soldier: Cannot Follow Order when I gave the kill order, and they couldn't catch up to it with regular move orders.

Had an elven caravan come, along with an elf diplomat(.12). The diplomat's profession? Woodcrafter. No wonder (s)he was sent to parley with tree-murdering dwarves.
Still, my mayor took too long to set up the meeting, that "A diplomat left unhappy" during the meeting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: November 07, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »

I had a kobold get discovered right before they crossed my bridge (the only way into my fort) to steal from the human caravan. Not much right? Well... this time, my most skilled dorf for the military (proficient sword, armor, shield, dodging, and observer, otherwise peasant) spotted them. The battle literally took only about 10 seconds. First, hand got stabbed off, then arm, then leg, then lower body, with a long sword I puchased off the caravan not 10 minutes ago IRL!
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »

Just a single-tile buffer solved the pressure and power problems. A floodgate at the fork in the aqueduct depressurizes the stream, and oddly increases surplus power by 200. So it's coming down the mountainside into a 2-level wide, 2-level deep duct that drains over a retaining wall back into the caverns below. Fishing may be possible; the water didn't get 2/7 before the cats were pulling turtles out of it.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: November 07, 2010, 08:49:20 pm »

going on 6? 7? siege now, decided to count the kill list and I nearly pissed myself, 7 dwarves died against 170 invaders!!!!!  No traps, or locking doors or bringing the bridge up fort too.
Nom nom nom

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:47 pm »

Roastedcanyon strikes again;

"Human Diplomat has Arrived!".  Go to look at the place, right at the top edge of the map, and find a corpse with a pile of clothing.  No idea what happened (no goblins, etc lurking up there).  Pity, as the humans are actually bringing more exciting animals than the elves.

Currently building bridges well away from the fort, in an attempt to swat fleeing kobold thieves.  We'll see if it works.  Have also run out of crafts to decorate...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: November 07, 2010, 10:36:42 pm »

Final Destination

The children died for their parents' sins ;_;
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7777 on: November 07, 2010, 11:02:04 pm »

Gentlemen, we have fish.

Finally those high master fishermen get to use their skills. I took them off most the hauling duties and set them all to cook. We got the farms and mill right there, so we should get those fish battered in Longland flour and fried in Longland beer.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:08 am »

I've had two dwarves go insane, one becoming a harmless maddwarf and the other going violent, all because I have no stone for them to work with. My military could certainly have handed the beserk dwarf better, I fear... He should have been no problem, wearing leathers with a copper spear, against my quite well-equipped soldiers, except the fools ran into battle UNARMED! Several of them died, before the militia commander (Armok bless him, the one deent warrior I have) ran in with his beloved copper battle-axe and hacked the offender apart.
Sadly, though, he sustained terrible wounds, and is now bedridden. He's quite pleased with himself however, and is bragging loudly to everyone who passes, and passes off his missing arm as "a scratch".
I hope he doesn't get infected or anything... My medicaldwarves are quite useless in this fort.

Couple of questions: How can someone have their upper arm severed and keep their lower arm?! :P
And also, is there a way to zoom the screen on a particular stored item? 'z' tells me I have stone blocks, but I can't find them.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

shadowzfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:59 am »

I believe that 'negatives' means 'below ground'. It would've been strange had you been digging through positives, which means sky.

Regarding my suicide fortress, the dwarves managed to wall off a secondary exit in time for the undead crocodiles to pass by. They've put up a still and a kitchen and a small farm plot, so they might survive 'till the first caravan after all.
By the way, can anyone explain me how to post screenshots? Would like to share the fort's downfall with you all through images as well.

Update: a ton of new doomed dwarves has arrived, adding 9 doomed dwarves to the fort. Started more farms, expanded the walled-off section of the surface. All the murky pools evaporated save for one, on the other side of the map, in which the most suicidal of them all, the fisherdwarf, fishes. Considering to commence the building of the caravan drowning depot.

Update: MORE doomed dwarves, 3 this time. The fisherdwarf got himself some support in form of a fish cleaner (formerly dissector). Otherwise more of the same.

Update: The dwarven caravan arrived! Offered them a few wooden crafts (as I said, the suicide fortress won't trade, only offer everything to dwarves and drown everyone else). Almost finished the drowning depot, too. The only undead things on the map are three crocodiles from the beginning, walking by every now and then, posing next to no threat for now. Let's see how this unfolds.

Update: Winter has passed, and I'm now expecting elves. The drowning depot is ready.
Meanwhile, the doomed dwarf leader decided to marrry. Perhaps some are less suicidal than others. Goblins won't differ between them, though.

Full list of the dwarves and other notable inhabitants so far:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pretty much every dwarf is romantically involved with another dwarf. They're not so suicidal after all. But the goblins still won't differ between them.

What I had meant was, I had dug down to approximately 138 z-levels, and then it went down -1, -2,-3  only going up to -18, i was worried at that point after having breached the magma sea and raw adamantine for what hidden fun stuff lies below.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7780 on: November 08, 2010, 05:35:34 am »

Some goblins seem to be convinced that my dwarves are ammo stockpiles. I was surprised to find that married dwarves will share a hospital bed if they are both injured.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: November 08, 2010, 05:44:48 am »

I've had two dwarves go insane, one becoming a harmless maddwarf and the other going violent, all because I have no stone for them to work with. My military could certainly have handed the beserk dwarf better, I fear... He should have been no problem, wearing leathers with a copper spear, against my quite well-equipped soldiers, except the fools ran into battle UNARMED! Several of them died, before the militia commander (Armok bless him, the one deent warrior I have) ran in with his beloved copper battle-axe and hacked the offender apart.
Sadly, though, he sustained terrible wounds, and is now bedridden. He's quite pleased with himself however, and is bragging loudly to everyone who passes, and passes off his missing arm as "a scratch".
I hope he doesn't get infected or anything... My medicaldwarves are quite useless in this fort.

Couple of questions: How can someone have their upper arm severed and keep their lower arm?! :P
And also, is there a way to zoom the screen on a particular stored item? 'z' tells me I have stone blocks, but I can't find them.

They've probably sewn his lower arm right ontoto the shoulder.

What I had meant was, I had dug down to approximately 138 z-levels, and then it went down -1, -2,-3  only going up to -18, i was worried at that point after having breached the magma sea and raw adamantine for what hidden fun stuff lies below.

Do you mean that you've breached raw adamantine? If you have, then yes, it's leading straight to !!Fun!!.
Also, it probably means that you've dug through your world's core and are now going upwards to an opposite point on the other side of the planet.

Some goblins seem to be convinced that my dwarves are ammo stockpiles. I was surprised to find that married dwarves will share a hospital bed if they are both injured.

They don't care if they're missing arms or legs, they want to get some lovin' and there's no stoppin' 'em.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: November 08, 2010, 06:07:50 am »

They've probably sewn his lower arm right ontoto the shoulder.

Hah, I wouldn't put that past my medic... He's a bit daft. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7783 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:50 am »

Abandoned my project of building a massive tower out of green glass.. Just too much of hassle.

Instead, I'm gonna build one out of stone blocks!
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: November 08, 2010, 08:48:30 am »

Finally, I have a couple of decent medical dwarves! They're trying, at least.
It's getting to be like a hospital drama, only with added good-ol'-fashioned dwarven incompetence!
"Hey Urist, want me to dye the threads before you suture that?"
"Uh... Okay. Should make them work better, aye! Meanwhile I'll rearrange this pile of stuff- Oh, where did I put that needle..."

EDIT: Uhhh, okay then, one of my dwarves is in a mood, working on a mysterious construction.... In the butcher shop?!??
Be afraid. Be very afraid. This post is so going on the facepalms thread if it turns out to be something like: "Corkbundles the steak of hammering". :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:06:04 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 3838