Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958799 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7725 on: November 06, 2010, 10:35:09 pm »

Planned on a fully above ground fort. Forgot the stone.

Just dig out an open-air quarry...if you remembered the picks ;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7726 on: November 06, 2010, 10:40:25 pm »

I have over 13k junk stone. It's time to begin the 'stonocaust'. I will only save samples of layer and common mineral stones for future use, and leave olivine, kimberlite, and a few others untouched. I have so much left to dig, I probably won't even need those in the end.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7727 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »

Just had a rather lower ranked fisher dwarf/maceman get both arms fractured, legs cut to pieces, chest stabbed 4+ times, and get his guts cut, yet he killed his 4 goblin attackers, he then spent about a month in hospital until he had a full page of things stiched, and or wrapped around him, at which point a seige started and when I drafted his squad he jumped out of bed and joined the fight, got another 5 kills long with alot more damage, only to spend a short time in the hospital and have another page of things stiched into him, before he was fine........ he's the only named guy I've got and he's nearly died soooo many times.
Nom nom nom

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7728 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:12 pm »

After several years, Sigun Wheelflag, the Axemother who lost a baby to the danger room, and later had her arm broken in a tussle with some gobbos, has finally been treated, receiving sutures, dressing, and a splint. She immediately popped out of bed. Then...

Sigun Kolsolun, Woodcrafter cancels Store Item in Bin: Seeking Infant.

The infant. The one that got impaled. The one that's the reason we have sign on the door of the danger room(which still needs to be cleaned) that says "Choking hazard: Not intended for children age 3 and under."
(The baby did kinda suffocate, though that was on a pool of her own blood from the spike being retracted from her lung, even though the cause of death was internal bleeding.)
Gonna see what happens when the realization of the infant's death hits her. Will she go berserk? Will she cradle the skeletal corpse in her arms? Will she try to claim one of the other army brats(two born very recently) as her own? Only time will tell!

Two other dwarves who were just injured in a goblin ambushed, neither seriously although one has grasp-impaired nerve damage(but still might be combat-effective), are also in the process of receiving treatment.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7729 on: November 06, 2010, 11:22:00 pm »

I feel the need to let my dozen or so cats frolic in the woods and murder all the damn spiders. It was a mistake to make their population limits so large.

Aside from the irritability derived from not being able to see 1/3 of the total area of the outdoor terrain from all the spiderwebs, everything is going well. I'm trying to eliminate a large portion of the stone by constructing a tower around the central shaft, up to maybe 6 stories above ground when I'm done. Since I turned off invasions I have no reason to shut my doors and I can maybe sell off some pathetically small portion of the thread and cloth I've accumulated, even with the doors shut for the last few years.

I've completed the central shaft, at least as far as digging goes. I still need to decide on interior walls; I can basically choose between green glass with some clear and crystal layers, either in the form of windows, bars and grates, or walls. I could also construct stone walls and/or fortifications. I could probably even line it with silver and gold bars if I wanted.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:18:18 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7730 on: November 06, 2010, 11:53:37 pm »

It's been how long since an FB? I was starting to think I had max population for the region, with 7 sitting out of reach. This one was slightly out of reach, but at least he met me halfway by swimming. Yeah, another underwater lurker. 'Deadly blood', so I had to shoot him out of the water.

I take away zero trophies and we can only dine on the 670 forgotten beast meat we already have in our kitchen. I guess that's a victory, but I'm not satisfied.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7731 on: November 07, 2010, 12:26:15 am »

This being my third actual fortress ever (first abandoned for having 3 fps framerate, second was nearly entirely destroyed by a forgotten beast that may or may not have been made of cotton candy or some similar material), I'm quite surprised that I've managed to make it to 120~ population and a wealth of 3.7 million. I guess it helps that I tapped a good four gold veins and my army took out an entire siege with one casualty, but... minor details. Now I have 180 gold bars and I want to do a megaproject with them. The sea of molten fun is exposed, I know of the locations of a few cotton candy veins, and the area of embark is a combination of a mountain (untamed wilds) and a thick conifer forest (untamed wilds). It never snows. I have about 30 dwarves constantly on idle or hauling duty, so there's no lack of dwarfpower. Suggestions for a megaproject?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7732 on: November 07, 2010, 12:38:42 am »

I've found a new method of stealing from merchants: make a trade depot out of ice, and have it melt after they unloaded their things
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7733 on: November 07, 2010, 01:42:39 am »

I constructed my first mist generator ever and the splashing water has been pushing numerous dwarves to their watery death.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7734 on: November 07, 2010, 01:59:17 am »

Roastedcanyons is living up to the name.

Getting bored with trading and raping nature, so set out to attack the Cave Fish people hanging about in an inaccessible corner of the first caverns.  Notice some zombie trogs but they soon vanish again.  Now a zombie troll has turned up, and although also inaccessible, is scaring away my miners from some gems.  Then a SIEGE!!! 

Except they are on the other side of a large river, with the only crossing point being my bridge, which I promptly raised.  So they can sit incompetently over their for all I care.  Also have a FB (composed entirely of vomit!) on the other side of the walled-off edge near the magma pit where my entire metal industry is based.  So long as it's not a building destroyer, that should be ok.

So from bored to invaded from four sides in a little over 20 minutes.  This may not end well, but it will be FUN!

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7735 on: November 07, 2010, 02:03:21 am »

I constructed my first mist generator ever and the splashing water has been pushing numerous dwarves to their watery death.

That's not a design flaw. Or a flaw in implementation. In fact, I think you just found the only way to make a mist generator better.

Welp, that's the end of Webrings. I tend to build big, open plaza-style forts, also known as a "Goblin Ambush Buffet." My military was woefully undertrained and underequipped, and they were outnumbered two to one, so I can't really blame it on them. Human caravan sat and did nothing until they got killed, the useless jerks. One dwarf survived, and it took me FOREVER to kill him off. I had to order him to charge the dwarven caravan guards to get him to die. :P

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7736 on: November 07, 2010, 02:50:34 am »

Wallpacked has been abandoned.  I had one labor intensive method to dig through the triple-layer aquifer, and I ended up designing it so small that it couldn't handle layers 2 and 3.  Then I got desperate, started to try to cave in past it, and ended up with a lot of icky disasters, including a miner caving in the sky on top of his head, instantly entombing him in Ice Cavern Wall and devouring his pick, one of our only two on a map where the only easily accessible layers are entirely soil.  Even if I could salvage it, the very first gobbo incident would destroy us all.

I have moved on to greener pastures.  Namely the slope of a volcano with a stream and not saltwater so all my dwarves don't accidently die of thirst by the end of year 2.

Strike the Earth, Shotringed!

EDIT: Spelling errors
Current Fort: NatureRags

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7737 on: November 07, 2010, 02:52:35 am »

In addition to two naked lunatics running around screaming incomprehensibly, we've had a large run of incompetence in Zanorkivish lately, with one fool vandalizing the trade depot while it was in use, and others simply not doing their jobs. While the free things I gained from the destruction of the trade depot were nice, (The visiting merchants offered up their wares free of charge as "rent"...) these crimes cannot go unanswered. I've resolved to drown all of the foolish, lazy dwarves, excepting a choice few, the cream of the crop, and start again, carefully screening all migrants.
Not like I'm going to ENJOY killing everyone, right? After all the pain they've caused me by not following orders?
Just PURELY business... In the interests of the fort... *evil giggle of madness*

Edited to add: Heh, one of the dogs, who was earlier beaten badly by a berserk dwarf, is now going toe-to-toe (Or is it paw-to-hoof?) with a zombie warthog, regardless of it's three broken legs!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:55:21 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7738 on: November 07, 2010, 02:57:04 am »

New fort, waiting for the first Caravan. I have produced ten large serrated steel discs, so should be able to buy it out, including all the tasty food and booze, so can prolong getting farming up even longer. I have built a bridge across the river running through the map, and covered both sides in cage traps with the hope of getting a elephant breeding program up. I'm also going to have to build walls along the edge of the bridge to stop sudden death by carp.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7739 on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:44 am »

I've finally formulated the plan of the suicide fortress that Encased in burning magma described.

It will be named 'Final Destination', a suicide colony for unforgivable criminals. It will have no doors, bridges, channels, traps, and magma. It will be situated in an evil biome. It will attempt to produce as much as possible, then offer it up to the dwarven caravan, and slaughter the rest using a floodable depot. It will have no military either. We will see how long does it last.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 3838