Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5962546 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7635 on: November 04, 2010, 11:16:46 pm »

Beetlecreatures.

The name just sends shivers down the spines of dwarves across the world.

Situated on top of TWO river springs, a fortress began to take shape that would define "Bizarchitecture". It simply follows the curve of the river, and then goes up, a vast clear glass edifice of strange angles.

When I figure out the damn military screen, this should be fun.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: November 04, 2010, 11:29:22 pm »

I just attempted to merge civilization forge and genesis.
The only problems that arose was that I had wagons and giant leopards as civilizations, you payed as nords and there was 2 rat men civilizations.
And you brought along cave fish man fat chests.
Other then that it worked out really well

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: November 05, 2010, 12:03:51 am »

Just when you think things in Townbrush can't get any worse, dwarves start to randomly explode for no adequately explored reason.

When you say that the migrants were greeted by the sight of the Forgemaster collapsing, did you mean that he was collapsing as the migrants entered, or was it a very brief time after? I would guess that the migrants tracked through something on their way in and started smearing it all over. Assuming the denizens of New Townbrush don't have access to a well.

Also, this might be the 4 hours of History Channel I watched the other day, but the whole "New Townbrush" rebuild the fallen empire, militarize the working man, take on everything attitude struck me as a bit of Facist stroke, in the vein of Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Russia.

Killing Time

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: November 05, 2010, 12:40:55 am »

The mysterious contruction begins!
Good luck...
It pissed me off to no end when I watched my metalsmith (who was already legendary) carry 12 good mats to the shop only to make a splint. I savescum....aaaand she makes a crutch.
Sometimes I think the game is spiting me.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: November 05, 2010, 12:45:12 am »

I need ideas of what to do with stray elvish merchants.

The story: They've been hanging outside my fort for a few years after I destroyed the trade depot they were on. I've apparently taken all of their stuff too, which the diplomat was not happy about come to think of it. I've tried rebuilding their depot in the same place it used to be, but they just won't leave.

My ideas currently:
- kill them all! Quick and dirty practice for my sworddwarves
- leave them outside for decoration
- build a wall around them, encapsulating their elvish stink away from the fort
- build a zoo around them, populated with deer and foxes (and one giant scorpion)

In the meantime, a few more caravans have come and gone. For the first time in a long time I feel completely safe from invaders, with a huge surplus of food, alcohol, mechanisms, and stone trinkets. My current project is building a zoo. I'm just waiting for the inevitable collapse of my civilization at this point, because nothing ever goes this well. Oh, I have 5 goblins to add as well, apparently their last ambush was placed right next to a line of cage traps. How convenient.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:39 am »

Beetlecreatures is now Rapture.

It might not be underwater, but it IS sealed off from the rest of society for perpetuity. Justice will rain down upon them all and Urist McObjectivist will SHRUG. The gigantic green glass dome has been constructed.

I kind of predict the nobles and migrants will start their own outdoor society until the next goblin siege kills them all, but whatever. THE INVISIBLE HAND OF THE MARKET WILL JUDGE THEM FAIRLY.*

*I am not actually a Libertarian or Randroid, so please don't accuse me of being such.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: November 05, 2010, 01:22:05 am »

Re the stray elves - they make for great fun when goblins ambush.

Meanwhile down in Roastedcanyon, we are living up the name, after having set up the minerals industry in a magnetite load, we were running out of coal right when we hit caverns near the base, with a magma pool!

So it's been trying to relocate, setting up smelters and forges by flooring over the pool at the edges and taking out the odd bit (channeling close to the edge now - too many cave-ins recently), dealing with troll and trog incursions at the same time as goblin ambushes - an elven merchant deflected one ambush, and led then three times around the map before escaping leaving only one hand behind.  His dead horse was duly looted.

My experienced militia captain always misses the call up and there's one recruit that has killed 2 trogs, 1 trolls and 2 goblins now. I wonder when he'll actually gain a real fighting profession...

Have lost my only two metalsmiths recently too - both to a giant bat that flew in from unnoticed parts (now walled up) - most annoying was that after taking 5 minutes to slowly strangle the junior smith, it proceeded to rip the head off my legendary smith with one move.  Bugger. Still, I've shifted the game from my wife's 5 year old little NEC laptop to my new Asus (just back from the shop with a new hard drive - the last one lasted 3 months) and have gone from 20 FPS to about 80.

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: November 05, 2010, 02:38:28 am »

Had a metalsmith go fey and create a fantastic silver throne. The main decoration? A picture of the dwarven liason rising to his position 16 years ago. I can only assume it's in honor of his year-long vigil for the unconscious expedition leader who could not starve. What makes this interesting is the metalsmith is a recent migrant, so somehow the liason's story has become legend back at the Mountainhome.

That, or he thought it was hilarious and is rubbing the fort's misfortunes in everyone's face. Wouldn't put it past a dwarf. (:
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: November 05, 2010, 03:10:33 am »

Datan Stukosrodem Tosidstakud Kulet, Leatherworker, has created a Ram Nilum, forgotten beast backpack!

Well...okay.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: November 05, 2010, 03:19:36 am »

So, if I for instance see one of my dwarfs take over a Craftsdwarf's workshop, and see him having a bar of platinum there, can I forbid it to save the precious bar, without affecting the dwarf's mood? (of course the bar won't be used...)
the better bar the more the artifact is worth! but if you forbid it I think he will go crazy...

anyways in my succession game fort I just made a giant system of goblin-proofing, including ballistas, gobbo-grinders, and a flooder. fun times.
Had a metalsmith go fey and create a fantastic silver throne. The main decoration? A picture of the dwarven liason rising to his position 16 years ago. I can only assume it's in honor of his year-long vigil for the unconscious expedition leader who could not starve. What makes this interesting is the metalsmith is a recent migrant, so somehow the liason's story has become legend back at the Mountainhome.

That, or he thought it was hilarious and is rubbing the fort's misfortunes in everyone's face. Wouldn't put it past a dwarf. (:
lulz

Datan Stukosrodem Tosidstakud Kulet, Leatherworker, has created a Ram Nilum, forgotten beast backpack!

Well...okay.
forgotten beast leather? how much is it worth?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: November 05, 2010, 07:02:21 am »

Would it be possible to do this, and then occasionally drop a dangerous animal in?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: November 05, 2010, 07:03:19 am »

Would it be possible to do this, and then occasionally drop a dangerous animal in?

I'm pretty sure animals don't attack elves.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:10 am »

Does that include forgotten beasts and titans and such?

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: November 05, 2010, 07:53:18 am »

What about Goblins?
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: November 05, 2010, 08:38:44 am »

Just when you think things in Townbrush can't get any worse, dwarves start to randomly explode for no adequately explored reason.

When you say that the migrants were greeted by the sight of the Forgemaster collapsing, did you mean that he was collapsing as the migrants entered, or was it a very brief time after?

Well since building degredation isn't a part of Dwarf Fortress, the Fort itself really can't collapse no matter what happens. What I meant was that I had to have the migrants break down part of the outer wall to get in because the bridge was retracted. I didn't want to send anyone up to raise the bridge for two main reasons. One, I'd rather have Dwarves moving to the surface as little as possible. Two, this fort has been going on for so long that I have forgotten which lever does what. So there's a good chance that the lever I pulled would impale the migrants on spikes rather than let them in the fort.

I would guess that the migrants tracked through something on their way in and started smearing it all over. Assuming the denizens of New Townbrush don't have access to a well.

There are several wells in Townbrush, but none of them in New Townbrush. I didn't think one would be neccesary. Still, I'm not quite sure how this deadly disease suddenly popped up when none of the Dwarves or animals had been afflicted by it before. My only guess is that there some piece of old military equipment stained with forgotten beast blood. One of the new recruits decided to pick up said piece of equipment, causing them to catch the disease. When they died, another recruit would pick up the equipment of the recently deceased dwarf, becuase whenever someone dies a Dwarves first thought is "free stuff!". Of course this equipment is covered in the blood of the afflicted Dwarf, so now this dwarf is infected as well. Thus leading to an endless disease becuase Dwarves are greedy bastards and can't resist pokceting their friends blood soaked socks.

Also, this might be the 4 hours of History Channel I watched the other day, but the whole "New Townbrush" rebuild the fallen empire, militarize the working man, take on everything attitude struck me as a bit of Facist stroke, in the vein of Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Russia.

Any relation between the Dwarven government and various Facist rulers are purely coincidental, and if you say otherwise I'll throw you into the magma pit.

All is not lost though. 4 Dwarves have survived the deadly plague. Of course, it was only because I quarantied them further in the caverns, along with an unlucky outpost liaison. So they are living in a bunker within a bunker. I'm not sure what exactly to do at this point, other than continue the mandatory military training. One immediate problem is that despite being locked inside the caverns, there are no trees accesible to my Dwarves. Which means there would be nothing to hold the booze brewed from plump helmets, which are fortunately in abundance. However, there is a pit of water nearby. It was one of the areas flooded when I pierced the ocean. Funny how the previous disasters of Townbrush sometimes come in handy when a new problem comes along. Speaking of flooding, I'm considering carefulyl building an elaborate pump system over time. One that will flood Old Townbrush and parts of the caverns, washing away the deadly rot. Of course odds are that I would just end up killing everyone, but I don't have many options.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 3838