Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966052 times)

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7560 on: November 03, 2010, 02:48:32 am »

I'm 2/3rds of the way through the largest construction project I've ever done, and I gotta say: Never again! If you can't carve it out of the living rock, dwarves don't need it!

How does that saying go? we do things not because they're easy, but because they're hard?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7561 on: November 03, 2010, 02:57:27 am »

Right, so my annoying, untalented, whining weaver went beserk in my training hall... My dwarves beat him to a bloody pulp, of course, just more training for them, but not before he managed to kill one of my loyal dogs. :(
I resolve to arm my dwarves with something other than wooden swords... *facepalm*
Even if I do have to import metals. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7562 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:07 am »

Right, so my annoying, untalented, whining weaver went beserk in my training hall... My dwarves beat him to a bloody pulp, of course, just more training for them, but not before he managed to kill one of my loyal dogs. :(
I resolve to arm my dwarves with something other than wooden swords... *facepalm*
Even if I do have to import metals. :P

Elf. On topic : Since my fort Tradetests was conquered by The Willfull Gory Hell, I started another one. This time it shall be an above ground project.  I have built one building. Also, note to everyone : Ramps make good scaffolding for building roofs(destroy them with no cavein).
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7563 on: November 03, 2010, 07:25:48 am »

Copperparched had another mood, this time it was a bowyer. So now the Reliquary is starting to get stocked up with masterwork wood crossbows. Bone crossbows to follow.

Using another trick gleaned from this forum, I used the "lock the Mayor in a stockroom" trick to finally get bumped up to a barony. My choice for Baron: my manager who has a fondness for aluminum (of which I have plenty), basalt, barrels and hoods.
Wait, how do you do this?
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7564 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:11 am »

Easy enough to do with a burrow, just limit him to that room and lock the door before the liaison reaches him. Be sure to have food and booze stockpiled so he doesn't die/go crazy. But I thought it was simpler just to add him to the guard and set him to patrol until the caravan left.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7565 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:35 am »

Well, the Tower Of Excitement is coming along nicely! Only two casualties! :P
A couple of dwarves have died, but I got a bunch of new migrants, some of whom have cool names, and in my fort, cool names equal status. 8)   Oh. and not my fault I only have... Maybe two metal weapons in my fort!! D: I blame where I embarked.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7566 on: November 03, 2010, 10:56:52 am »

Decided to train my ballista users again, and enabled one of the ballistas to "fire at will".

10 seconds later I get the announcement: Zuglar Fikodod, Dog (Tame), has bled to death.

Oops.
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7567 on: November 03, 2010, 12:15:33 pm »

The hamlet liason has been hanging around the expedition leader for over a year now, hoping for a meeting. Said expedition leader is missing most of his left arm, and will probably never be conscious again. The odd thing? I think this guy is bugged somehow. I tried to lock his door to force starvation and turn the fort over to a more useful, meetable leader, but his status seems to be stuck at "Miserable." It's been at least a season and no sign of hunger or thirst.

Looks like it's time to bring some magma into the equation. Hopefully the liason will survive, since this is 40d and he won't be replaced.

EDIT: Operation Euthanize was a success. No casualties aside from the intended victim, heh. Still waiting for a new leader to be voted in.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:15:56 pm by strongrudder »
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7568 on: November 03, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »

I've got this huge column of rock that I planned to build a palace in, but I'm at a loss for how to proceed. So far there's the barracks and palace guard post at the cavern floor level, a hospital right above it, a dungeon and childrens' dormitory share one level, there's a rudimentary reception hall at the top entry, and four whole z-levels untouched except for the staircase.

I know it's completely unnecessary, it's all about the ostentatious indulgence, and my final mark of conquest before hitting the frontiers in the lower caverns.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7569 on: November 03, 2010, 01:09:19 pm »

Two brave marksdwarves fell today and a third is in the hospital with shattered legs from protecting Frozentombs from two goblin ambush squads, a snatcher squad (Five of them!), a zombie yeti, and a pair of kobold thieves.  The three goblin lashers that came with one of the squads might have had something to do with this.  Thankfully, even the lashers fell to being dogpiled by my elite triple/quadruple legendary melee squad.  Frozentombs shall live until the next season at least!

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7570 on: November 03, 2010, 01:17:46 pm »

i just dispatched an forgotten feastbeast.
in an 11x11 tower,that reaches the topmost floor,and almost the lowest.
I am a Goober.

Herbiie

• Bay Watcher
  • Loyal Unto Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7571 on: November 03, 2010, 01:20:21 pm »

Hopefully the liason will survive, since this is 40d and he won't be replaced.

My guys murdered the Liason :/ it just said he had been struck down - there were no nasty things around just my dorfs. Scary.
The once dark-grey walls are now the dark brown of stained blood. At either side of the path leading to the great granite gates is covered with the corpses and skeletons of Goblin invaders.
Some are still fresh. One is still moving.
As you approach the gate a nervous guard looses a bolt in your direction. Silence... Slowly, gradually, the huge doors screech open. Inside there is a courtyard, the floor wet with blood. Welcome to the front-line. Welcome; to Cloisteredwood.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7572 on: November 03, 2010, 02:21:29 pm »

doo, doo dooo...*twiddle*

Ever queue up so many tasks that all you can do is watch your dwarves at work? Trying to resist the urge to add more things that you see should be done right away, knowing that it's not going to happen? With a 2-6% idle rate, futzing with job allocations is only going to delay something that should be done even more. Even tweaking stockpiles for efficiency and organization is going to drop a load more tasks on them, so what they need is for their all-seeing god to just chill the hell out and let them do their damn jobs.

DumbfoundedElf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7573 on: November 03, 2010, 02:46:30 pm »

Building a tower for a fort (majority of my needed materials and dwarfs in the tower)in a slow but steady pace.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7574 on: November 03, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »

Speaking of "Whipkisses", the fort that had the unlucky fate of embarking on a cave with the resident max-size megabeast armed with fire, it is surprisingly...still alive.

The woodcutter, mason, and a slew of test animals didn't make it, but the rest have made it underground safely.  We have absolutely no food, no supplies, no seeds, and the brooks are frozen.  The only supplies are the clothes on our backs and the two picks the miners have.  And there are giant cave spider webs right where we've broken into the caverns for hasty food and water.

This will be Fun.
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 3838