Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5966049 times)

gamildum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7545 on: November 02, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »

I'm in a back-and-forth succession game with one of my friends.

My current nightmare:

*whimper* I've had 3 waves of immigrants this turn and my population at the end is the same as my population at the start. This is the first turn. :P

They shall pay soon enough. Giant bituminous coal/magnetite deposit in a dolomite layer.  :D

Edit: Oh, question. Can the undead be tamed? Tempted to trap them. Skeletal war elephants sound terrifying.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 03:47:15 pm by gamildum »

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7546 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:10 pm »

Edit: Oh, question. Can the undead be tamed? Tempted to trap them. Skeletal war elephants sound terrifying.
No, but the dead rise in those lands. So maybe a tamed and trained elephant that's been killed can become a skeletal war elephant? It's worth investigating.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7547 on: November 02, 2010, 03:52:45 pm »

No, but the dead rise in those lands. So maybe a tamed and trained elephant that's been killed can become a skeletal war elephant? It's worth investigating.
That was more of a suggestion made by the Bay12ers than a feature, really.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: November 02, 2010, 04:02:56 pm »

Working on my mod.  Testing sheep.  I get this notification as soon as the embark loads.

Spoiler: Oh noes! (click to show/hide)
!!Fun!!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7549 on: November 02, 2010, 04:04:15 pm »

Copperparched had another mood, this time it was a bowyer. So now the Reliquary is starting to get stocked up with masterwork wood crossbows. Bone crossbows to follow.

Using another trick gleaned from this forum, I used the "lock the Mayor in a stockroom" trick to finally get bumped up to a barony. My choice for Baron: my manager who has a fondness for aluminum (of which I have plenty), basalt, barrels and hoods.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: November 02, 2010, 04:24:46 pm »

Ugh, pissed off the elves for two years in a row. First their caravan got whacked by a goblin ambush, but it happens, what can you do? "Bad timing, bro." Then I tried to offload my excess puppies in a highwood cage. Doh. Wtf, highwood doesn't even grow around here, so I couldn't have cut it down myself.

I checked, and highwood doesn't grow in these elves territory either, but that would've been great to throw in their faces:

Count:  "...and have a look at this armor stand. That's genuine highwood, encircled with highwood and menacing with spikes of highwood."
Elvish emissary [overcome with rage]: "How many trees had to die for this?"
Count:  "I don't know. We bought the wood from you, so you tell me."

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: November 02, 2010, 04:27:53 pm »

I now have a legendary blacksmith. I also had another attack. A Giantess this time.

My Legendary Miners, armed with steel picks, took her down in 10 seconds flat. Biggest injury: a bruise on my pikedorf. :P :D In my fort, by the time the next dragon comes, I'll hopefully have everyone outfitted with a shield, and at least adequate at using them.
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: November 02, 2010, 04:50:11 pm »

It is 269; I had tarted shortly after 250. The only civilizations besides mine (The Eternal Chambers) and that of the goblins (The Singed Dungeons) were unimportant beastmen.
Suddenly, a human caravan appears. Wait, what?
At some point during the last month, The Oracular Confederacies appeared.
I survived long enough to witness the birth of an organized nation.
 :-X  :'(

Is it possible to have a race living without a civilization/nation?
Well, I guess so, there is absolutely no mod installed here. And while I saw plenty of humans... they were all fighting alongside goblins, all clad in loincloth and stuff. Incidentally, their new civlization is in peace with everyone, including the goblins.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: November 02, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

After abandoning Weywires (my most complicated entry bridge/trap idea yet, over 4 levels, with pits and traps everywhere) because a goblin crossbower got stuck on a ledge halfway down the Pit to Doom and proceeded to kill three dwarves with one shot to the throat, and then scared them all from leaving the fort....

I am now abandoning Silversouls for the opposite reason - a flat plain, rivers, simple wall and bridges.  Two squads with full steel and several artifact weapons.  40+ trained elephants.  Excellent metal industry and 45 level deep cavern with no animals. 

NOTHING has attacked me - no kobolds, goblins, humans or elves, titans or FBs.  I'm bored.... Not even non-dwarven merchants to fleece.  Sigh.  I think there's a volcano in sinister lands in this world - I'll see how that goes...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: November 02, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »

Count: "As you can see, it's adorned with an image of a dwarf defecating on a highwood. In highwood. So suck on that, pointy-eared bitch!"

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: November 02, 2010, 07:23:16 pm »

Working on my mod.  Testing sheep.  I get this notification as soon as the embark loads.

!!Fun!!

Wait, you embarked in mid-air over a cave?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7556 on: November 02, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »

!!Fun!!

Hmmn?  No, I embarked on flat ground in the middle of the map.  You can see where I am on the first full screenshot on the mini-map, I'm the dark blue squares/dots.  The cursor is where the megabeast was.  The empty space by the megabeast is a small canyon where the brook dropped into a waterfall about 1 or 2 levels.

I don't know where the cave is.  It's not immediately visible.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: November 02, 2010, 08:13:44 pm »

!!Fun!!

Hmmn?  No, I embarked on flat ground in the middle of the map.  You can see where I am on the first full screenshot on the mini-map, I'm the dark blue squares/dots.  The cursor is where the megabeast was.  The empty space by the megabeast is a small canyon where the brook dropped into a waterfall about 1 or 2 levels.

I don't know where the cave is.  It's not immediately visible.
Ahh, megabeast.

Anywho, my dining room is legendary purely because of the Quantum Artifact Bucket used for the well. I'm not even sure if that well is functional- there's no water in the hole I built in on.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: November 02, 2010, 08:17:56 pm »

Tis legendary because there is infinite of it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:14 am »

I'm 2/3rds of the way through the largest construction project I've ever done, and I gotta say: Never again! If you can't carve it out of the living rock, dwarves don't need it!

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 3838