Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958571 times)

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2009, 09:24:38 am »

Recently completed my outdoor military bunker/fortress/tower and starting up with a magma pumping tower and a double-helix stairway all the way down. With a waterfall and a steel magma pipe in the center.

All miners dead due to cave-ins. I replaced them with a single no-skill peasant. Progress is kinda slow now.

I just discovered that the cookable, but not edible food items fall to the 'other' category in the overview screen. And then I ran out of food. Turns out deconstructing my main plump helmet farm was a bad idea.

By the way, I have the map in dfma (not up to date currently) with some stories from it here.

PS. Some of the forts here sound pretty cool, and I encourage you to upload them to the archives.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2009, 09:28:53 am »

Perhaps I will. I'm still trying to sort of get settled and I lagged on getting the bedrooms set up. At least I have a grand dining room to keep my mayor happy meanwhile. Going to turn invasions back on soon and I'm planning on making hammerdwarves this time around, soo.... better get some recruits trained up....

TheCatfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Catfish, friend of Carp
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2009, 12:36:53 pm »

God knows how this thing happened as I wall up every damn entrance to my underground river as soon as I dig it out. So I have some dwarves hauling crap from near my river, and they get attacked by a Giant Toad. 2 dwarves get taken out while the rest leg it. I then look closer and see one dwarf being chased aroung a pillar of unmined rock. I told my military to wander over there to help out. I then looked to see who was so stupid to be caught by the Toad.

It was the only child in the fortress. On closer inspection her mother was one of the ones killed by the toad first. Even closer inspection, her father was the champion I sent to help. It was at this point the toad caught up =[

Needless to say he slaughtered the toad. Now he doesn't really care about much anymore =[ I quickly posted him by my artefacts. I'm going to do something with the toad remains and post them somewhere nice...
"I'm Urist McHanz!" "And I'm Urist McFranz!" "And we're going to PUMP" *clap* "you up!"

The catfish, deadlier than hippos, and piranhas, crocodiles, and sharks.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2009, 02:25:36 pm »

Currently building a nuclear reactor. I've found nearly all the ingredients that I'll need... I'm just searching for the Graphite now.

Not sure just how I'll deliver the bomb when it's finished... maybe with several Giant Eagles all chained to it? Do tamed Giant Eagles breed in captivity?
Never pet a burning dog.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »

Apparently they do when chained, but I've had one or two give birth while inside a cage, maybe just before being caged?

I am removing the hills surrounding my fortress. Might wall in a nice, big area so my water dommsday device doesn't get too spilled inefficiently.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2009, 03:09:13 pm »

I just broke out a beer both in-game and in-life to celebrate my miners finally striking bauxite. I now have a metric f-ton of iron, flux, bauxite, running water, no aquifer and a team of 20 or so idling project-happy dwarves. It's on.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2009, 03:10:51 pm »

Most recent file got corrupted on save, so I had to delete that region. Just found a nice place though, magma pipe in a chalk layer. Had to resize it a bit, it was right next to several giant aquifers so I picked up a single aquifer tile for an infinite water source. Map is heavy on carbon and iron, as usual, with some tetrahedrite and sphalerite lower and black sand for glass. Wasn't able to get the stream I wanted, but I have water, steel, and glass industries so this map has a lot of potential.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2009, 03:12:15 pm »

Geh, after getting myself into a real bind with the creation of not one, but two brook cavein sinkhole bugs, creating a real difficult thing to deal with that I don't want to deal with this early on, not to mention a bunch of things I could have done differently, so I'm gonna throw the hands of time back and regen this world.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:18:01 pm by smjjames »

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2009, 03:19:46 pm »

Nothing too spectacular in my fort, though the three fold ballista battery entrance corridor is coming along nicely... basically three three balista batteries each pointed down a 3 wide hallway that is 100 squares long past the outer fortifications such that anyone entering the fort must first walk 100 tiles towards the first battery, move into the second corridor and walk 100 tiles with their backs to the second battery, then turn again and walk a final 100 squares towards the final battery before reaching a ramp that brings them up into my fort's courtyard.  300 squares of withering ballista fire will await anyone bold enough to dare invade my fortress, and that's assuming that I decide not to use the magma-flood chamber which I am also constructing (it's designed to pump magma up through floor grates rather than pour it in from the top; rahter than a quick and sudden death by magma shower they will be treated to a slowly rising wave of heat as the molten rock slowly rises under them and begins to penetrate the iron grates that this will be floored with.)

The other work of dwarven ingenuity is the airconditioning system (a nine square mist generator) for my dining hall, which hit a few snags because the water is, for some reason, leaking around in the overhead area, probably as concequence of having had it hooked up to a large water source... good thing I set the priming pump to be dwarf powered, the pump operator got tired before enough water accumulated to start escaping in the dining area as well.  I'll probably set up a fast repeater to make the priming area only deliver one chunk of water every second or so; less mist, more safety.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2009, 03:24:27 pm »

Currently building a nuclear reactor. I've found nearly all the ingredients that I'll need... I'm just searching for the Graphite now.

Not sure just how I'll deliver the bomb when it's finished... maybe with several Giant Eagles all chained to it? Do tamed Giant Eagles breed in captivity?
Maybe you could direct water through the reactor, then store it up somewhere to attack sieges Boatmurdered-style. Just watch out for mutant trees afterwards.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:09 pm »

I'm starting a fort in a glacier.

My only problem is that I have no water.

Coulda sworn there was an aquifer somewhere...

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2009, 07:43:43 pm »

Had to start a new fortress, last one fell due to a failing in the entrance system.... New one is doing good though, my military are being trained up. Lost on of my champion crossbow dwarves because a chaos dwarf bee-lined it towards my archer tower. Final touches on a gigantor arena are being made now. Matches will be held soon.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Flaming Monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2009, 08:57:51 pm »

Currently desperately digging a cistern before the winter comes.  Last winter caused me to lose 88 of my 102 dwarves.  Then a goblin ambush killed my last two champion wrestlers, but my mob of war dogs repelled them.  I really need to manage my food stuffs better.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2009, 10:37:39 pm »

Found the aquifer.

Digging out bedrooms in the glacier. Hope the dwarves have blankets. Oh, wait, they can use their beards...

Lost my two legendary miners who ran into the aquifer and were encased in ice. Their bones are stuck in the wall now, and I can't get them out.

Oh, and migrants. Too many damn migrants. I carve out some bedrooms and another wave arrives. I don't need this many damn migrants. I don't have enough food or anything.

THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS FORT. GO AWAY.

I've been sent fisherdwarves, farmers, metalsmiths...

WHO SENDS THESE MIGRANTS? A BLIND, CRIPPLED, BRAIN-DAMAGED DWARF? (Probably...)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 12:02:32 am »

Playing with civ forge unleashed (just like regular civ forge, but most of the new races can't talk, making them always hostile) and the orc mod.

Just after the first immigrant wave, 7 undead woolly mammoths slaughtered my entire fortress. So I reclaimed. got 64 soldiers.

One mammoth killed them, every one.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 3838