Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972929 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7485 on: November 01, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

Thob Lolokcatten's daughter, Ilral Sacatrith, died of infection after a month or so spent at the hospital, because of a flooding accident that left her unable to walk. Rescued only after several days spent in the water. She was 4. She was the 3rd youngest out of 6 kids, and the only casualty of that flood.
... I am oddly sad.  :-X
*tidies up her tomb*
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7486 on: November 01, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »

Well, the goblins showed, at last. A small group of ambushers, to be exact. Buggers killed a couple of my people who were out and about. Three dwarves and two cats dead. I caught three of the goblins in cage traps, and the elephants played with the other two. That was fun. Though I had forgotten to make the doors going further into my fort pet proof, and most of the animals headed right for the meeting room instead of going to take care of the ambushers.

It's time to really get busy with my military. Once I have a squad up and running I can assign some of the war critters to them and that should keep things interesting. Presently I'm building a room where I plan to strip the goblins and let some of the captured gorillas loose against them. Then, maybe a war elephant or three. Once I figure out how to strip the gobbos in their cages.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: November 01, 2010, 12:35:30 pm »

Build the cages with goblins.

Mass dump via d->b->d on said cages.

Un-dump cages, wait for the dwarves to strip gobbos.

Have Fun.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: November 01, 2010, 12:42:01 pm »

A weaver went into a strange mood and, wouldn't you know it, wanted not one but two pieces of silk cloth. I hadn't even dug down to the caverns yet. SO I finally get down there and it is the single deepest cavern I have ever seen. it goes down at least 20 to 30 z-levels and I haven't seen the bottom yet. I had to mine and build bridges to reach an area of cavern floor to get the webs. I managed to get one piece of silk cloth made, but when the dwarf went down to get more webs, he got maimed by a cave crocodile, who then proceeded up to the surface. Luckily, my one-dwarf-squad, consisting of my artifact gold spear weilded by it's creator was able to scare it right off the map.

Perhaps the gold spear will make up for it's impracticality with it's ability to scare off attackers. Must remember to test against other threats.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: November 01, 2010, 01:49:33 pm »

Looks like I'm doing a leather industry. The smith's son is going to get a workload after all, and the army is getting a new standard issue leather.

I set these traps out for elephants because I was sick of watching them pass by while trade and breeding was bringing them to me so slowly. I really don't want goblins getting in them, but at least executing them are a decent training exercise for the soldiers. The mountain goats are tameable and sellable, and if they were milkable I'd simply replace the cows with them. But now I've got over 40 cages filled with warthogs, bonobo and chimpanzees. I definately don't need the meat or leather, but I do need the cages back, and releasing them all is going to be as time-consuming as simply slaughtering the lot.

So I put together a unit of butchers and I'll have them wrestle the monkeys barehanded for my amusement. Um, actually I did that two seasons ago, deployed them to the battle chamber, and so far only one has arrived. Damn, I don't have the attention to pay to this, I'm already juggling management clusterfks trying to get this reactor up and expecially to seal the wells.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7490 on: November 01, 2010, 03:33:16 pm »

I just got my first megabeast attack. BEFORE I EVEN HAD A FREAKING SEIGE!!!!!!!! I was completely unprepared, and I felt it was completely unfair that my fort had to die because of the RNG being so unfair. I managed to kill it through clever usage of catapults and ballistas. I still couldn't avoid losing my cheif med dorf, though. :'(  How do I deactivate megabeasts?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: November 01, 2010, 03:35:11 pm »

I modded in scourges, this embark will be SOOO SOOOO fun.

I can hear the goblin screams from here.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: November 01, 2010, 03:48:56 pm »

I modded in scourges, this embark will be SOOO SOOOO fun.

I can hear the goblin screams from here.

How do you make scourges/whips dwarf craftable? I can't quite figure it out.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: November 01, 2010, 03:53:27 pm »

Just add revelant weapon entries to the dwarves' civilization.

It's matter of two lines.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: November 01, 2010, 04:11:43 pm »

Can you be more specific, please?

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: November 01, 2010, 04:14:49 pm »

Tinrain has fallen to that most implacable of foes - stupidity. I installed .16 and forgot to change Backups to YES and Compressed Saves to NO. I addition, I moved my save over rather than copied it. And then I played for a bit, saved and exited.

Tinrain never loaded again, trapped in the chaos of Save Corruption, betrayed by its Maker.

I'm a moron.

However, in unrelated news (perhaps related, we'll see), I have a grand new idea for my next fortress!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: November 01, 2010, 04:31:42 pm »

Can you be more specific, please?

I have a few questions.

Is there a way I can allow my dwarfs to make scourges and whips? I looked at the raws, but I couldn't understand it.

Open the entity_default raw.

Pretty much anywhere among the cluster of [WEAPON:X] tags under the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] tag, add:

[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SCOURGE]
[WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP]

Question: Is there a program that can output raw files, say, for creatures or civs?

Does it matter where I place it in the file? Also, thanks, I assumed it would be in item_weapon

I put in in but it's not appearing on the magma forge.

You need to generate a new world.

Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: November 01, 2010, 04:57:29 pm »

One dwarf is running around pantsless, despite my clothier's shop containing several pairs of pants.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: November 01, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »

A dwarf is trying to dump a 15,000 dwarf-pound cyclops corpse on his own...progress is slow.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: November 01, 2010, 05:13:24 pm »

I just wanted to say I'm utterly amazed that this thread is somehow still going, almost three years after I started it.  Wow!
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 3839