Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120299 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7455 on: October 31, 2010, 10:49:09 am »

There's a giant lobster hanging around in the caverns that doesn't want to leave. Also i've had no migrants for two seasons, no human, or elf trade caravans. It's the second year, late autumn, so there isn't a sign of the dwarven caravan either. Was everything in the world wiped out or something?
More likely than you think, check your civilizations. I discovered that, beside the home civilization of my own dorfs, all there was were two beastmen people (olms and bats), without any real leader and peaceful, and a single goblin civilization. The only humans I've ever seen were fighting side by side with the goblins... explained why the only caravans I got were the same ol' dwarves.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7456 on: October 31, 2010, 11:30:04 am »

Started a fort on the very edge of an ocean. The waves are majestic. They are also not stopped by walls, which I knew but nevertheless tried to strike the earth right on the shore. At least I didn't get deep and didn't lose dwarves to that. Wasn't happy with the loss of two seasons on construction and the layout of the map in general, so left for another shore.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7457 on: October 31, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »

Another fort on the edge of the oce-- what the hell is that? All's white and wavy... is it all sand? I press k and look in terror: it's all snow. My wagon is right in the middle of the f*cking ocean, and it's frozen. Cue frantic wagon disassembling and moving everything and everyone to dry land, which was done in 20 days - pretty fast for dwarves.
Also, this amount of wavy tiles hurts my eyes. I hope it won't be snowy next time it freezes, and I will be able to dig down a shaft in it.

And now it's unfreezing. A fox narrowly escaped drowning by leaving the ice in time. It's been 2 minutes since it started thawing and now it's not the ocean that's frozen, it's DF.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:14:15 pm by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7458 on: October 31, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »

The mayor wants even more maces
she'd ordered a total of 5 of them and prohibited their export last year
I'm struggling to make charcoal because I don't have the time nor the resources to find magma
WHY
WHAT THE FRIG IS SHE DOING WITH ALL THESE MACES
[Musashi cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: throwing a tantrum]
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7459 on: October 31, 2010, 12:42:27 pm »

I really like to give the second generation more of a break than say, the unskilled immigrants. Urist Come-lately heard we got riches, ran over here with nothing to offer? Fine, you can sweat for it, at least you're not bleeding like the rest of them did. But the kids shared all the risk with none of the choice or defenses that the adults had, pitched in with the farm work and kept up morale. That and if I get them some early skill development, I can direct the outlet for their moods.

My legendary weaponsmith and legendary blacksmith had two sons come of age. One of them I put into the whole metalwork load, from woodburning to smelting to smithing. It seems the wood burning takes precedence, so he's managed to keep pace with steel production better than anyone, and as he gets faster he has more time for melting, then has his own forge for hammering out copper shields, hammers, statues and toys, which will then be melted back down until he makes a masterwork.

The other one I made butcher/tanner -- not leatherworking because the raws are scarcer, I need the best quality I can get out of them and still don't have a legendary to produce. Since butchers/tanners don't get much work, I added brewer duty. It's a good practice to put someone with people skills there, since that's where the meeting areas are, and all dwarves will come for a drink. Even if they're churning out swill, if they have good personality and attitude, then they have a shot at chilling out someone's foul mood before it reaches eruption pitch.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7460 on: October 31, 2010, 12:47:41 pm »

Third try of the fortress-on-the-edge-of-the-ocean project. Arrived to what's basically white cliffs of dacite, in a narrow strait. Why didn't I name it 'Dover'?
Decided to dig for the magma sea, since I can't be without my magma. Dug straight down from the shore (from a spot waves don't reach) and found a gigantic cavern, around 30 z-levels high and very expansive. Guess this project will be a 'fort-in-a-cavern' after all.

And a pretty good idea, Uzu Bash.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7461 on: October 31, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

The Tender Hammers of DrunkenRock have had a bad year. An orc siege failed to destroy the place only bcause their commander got killed when his Cave Crocodile mount went for a swim and made them flee. Then goblins ambushed and killed four dwarves.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: October 31, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »

Just breached the third cavern layer for the first time, and found the magma sea through a magma pool - the third level is only 2z higher, at -105. It was the magma sea I was looking for, since I embarked on an area without a volcano, and I can't bear preparing/using fuel for something other than steelmaking. And yes, ever since I started playing DF I never tried to dig deeper than a few z-levels, or generally much deeper than the ground level; most of my fortresses've been dug into hillsides or mountainsides or were stacked inside mountains at varying z-levels.
Dug straight down, and managed to breach all three cavern layers on my way. Had to circumvent the second (went right through the wall of the first) and will now have to circumvent the third, but I think the magma sea is worth it. Time to set up the industry.

Added: And thank goodness that I breached it through the ceiling. There's a blind cave ogre in the cave next to the one I breached.

Avoiding a doublepost:
I re-embarked on the same site through force-quitting after finding a more-or-less uninterrupted pillar of rock down to the magma sea, and dug straight for it again. Then I dug out a hall for the magma industry... but it was very slow due to 'Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located'. And tiresome. But now it's done and I will soon have magma forges and smelters up and running.
I decided to build the fort somewhere around the 50 z - there's an underground lake not far below that, which is great as I want a water source, and a walloffable part of a cavern not far away for the farms. Closer to the smelters and not far from the surface, too.
The caverns are presenting their contents to me pretty quickly. I've already seen a cave crocodile in the planned water source, a reacher (a thing I've never seen or heard of before) and a giant olm. Also magma crabs in the magma sea. There's more to come, I'm sure.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:10:49 pm by NewSheoth »

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7463 on: October 31, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »

I need more Dwarfpower, 4 legendary miners and 160 extras will not strip mine the map fast enough.  Also having some difficulty with an area of quad aquifers.  Trying to start a war with the elves, they aren't as easy to anger as I'd hoped, Goblin's are extinct... kobolds are annoying I wish they would seige so I can exterminate them.... I'd also like a war with the humans, killed a few of their trader guards with naked Urist Mcsheildbash. His spine was broken but has made a full recovery.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7464 on: October 31, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »

Early Autumn of 111 in the County of Dreamletter, pop. 77

The end has arrived, in the form of FPS 12(10). Eleven years; my longest fort ever. The fort's progress was a slow (sloooow) but steady climb toward it's previous heyday of 140 dwarves. With several more years, it would surpass that mark, and I like to imagine that they toil away at that goal, even as I bid my farewells and head back to the MountainHomes for my next mission.

New Fort! :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:08:54 pm by AngleWyrm »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:15 pm »

I'm attempting on getting the Dragon and the Titan who are in my labyrinth to kill the goblins. So far my idea is to get the dragon the breathe fire over the bastards by baiting it with kittens
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:04 pm »

Migrants arrive, found a new swordsman for my militia; High master grower, novice in military skills, "She is in a constant state of internal rage"... I'll be sure to keep her away from the Moss Spiders...

I'm trying to assign professions based on their preferences and personalities, they REALLY need something to keep them from going berserk out here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:42:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: October 31, 2010, 09:55:40 pm »

Mid Spring of 101 at Outpost Bannerwire, pop. 7    FPS 99(35)

It's astonishing how quickly four well-trained dwarven miners can clear out earth. This time I'm focusing on Food and Clothing industries to start. The team:
  • Miner/Negotiator/Appraiser/Organizer/Bookkeeper
  • Miner/Diagnostician
  • Miner/Clothier
  • Miner/Dyer/Weaver
  • Grower/Brewer
  • Grower/Cook
  • Woodcutter/Carpenter

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7468 on: October 31, 2010, 10:17:25 pm »

during of my program to improve life by assigning proper labors, I've decided to look over the children; The only individual old enough to be a child is the very same girl who survived the initial three disasters in colonizing the area; Mafol. She's loaded a tall body with incredible muscles, and worships Aran onultobul, deity of the night, darkness, and strength. After seeing her entire family, and many more besides, devoured by beak dogs, it's almost a perfect coincidence that she is this way. I imagine her becoming a badass defender of the fort on her thirteenth birthday, if she can overcome her clumsiness.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7469 on: October 31, 2010, 11:00:45 pm »

After modding in some... fun.... stuff, I'm genning a new world and starting another series of forts.

This time, they have to go up against fire-breathing derpicorns, along with the usual elf, human, cavecritter, and goblin menaces. MWAHAHAHAHAAAAA
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.
Pages: 1 ... 496 497 [498] 499 500 ... 3842