Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120867 times)

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7395 on: October 29, 2010, 04:35:31 pm »

Ceca Sunsfaces the silly elf merchant finally left the map, after a month and a half riding her unconscious horse of infinite bleeding while a werewolf kept scratching and biting it.

Now my map seems a Pollock. A Pollock of blood.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: October 29, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »

A FB with a body made out of water appeared in my caverns, it just had a torso and a head, and had deadly dust.  A blowgunner cavern dweller shot a dart out of it and it exploded about 20 times as it died instantly, coating about a dozen cavern dwellers in the dust.  Two steps later... they all instantly died.

The funny thing is that instead of body parts, the FB dropped a couple stacks of 3 Cave Fish.  Which is kind of cool since with a body made out of water, there must have been a few fish swimming around in him.  I forbid everything that dropped there, and am going to wall off that section of the cavern or that dust could wipe me out.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: October 29, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »

Mid Spring of 110, in the County of Dreamletter, pop. 64

The folks in town are celebrating the tenth anniversary of the foundation of Dreamletter. Our first wave of immigrants after years has finally come, despite the dangers. The old stain of the Tantrum Spiral of 108 is finally washing away, and I'm beginning to feel that this county could be built up again, and rise to it's former glory.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 05:11:29 pm by AngleWyrm »

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: October 29, 2010, 05:06:55 pm »

Fountainghosts surprisingly survived the initial onslaught of Nadders with no casualties.  All dwarves got underground fast enough and the Nadders were more preoccupied with toppling the wagon, burning some barrels, and stealing (pig tail fiber cloth) than burning the dwarves to death.  Now we are safely underground, and have even built an elaborate trap of cage traps with a rock mug in the middle as dragon bait.  As soon as another group wanders onto the map and tries to steal the mug, we are ready!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: October 29, 2010, 05:09:00 pm »

The funny thing is that instead of body parts, the FB dropped a couple stacks of 3 Cave Fish.  Which is kind of cool since with a body made out of water, there must have been a few fish swimming around in him.  I forbid everything that dropped there, and am going to wall off that section of the cavern or that dust could wipe me out.

Was the cave fish laying around the animalman camp? If it was, it was probably theirs.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: October 29, 2010, 05:14:04 pm »

I made a cool fort with a gaint cavein-thing full of magma to drop on some goblins the moment they showed up.

Then I remembered that I was playing a 31.12 world that had 1000 megabeasts....

So I flooded the fort with volcano magma. Eh, there's wasn't even a cotton candy band on that embark, so I don't really care.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: October 29, 2010, 05:51:59 pm »

Pumpstack construction was going smoothly up to the 6th level, I'd just traced out all power and water lines and was about to open the designation up to the miners. A vile force of darkness arrived, so I open the deathtraps for them. Oh no, they won't march on when their squad leaders are dead or caged, so they just hung around spooking farmers, miners and masons -- basically anyone who needed to get jobs done outside. Letting the archers and siegers have their practice wasn't quick enough, I had to finish them off with troops who could've been helping to finish this thing quickly.

Just as the clutter and corpses were settled into their proper stockpiles and work was finally progressing, yet another siege! Just two days before the next caravan! Wtf, btches? Alright, I really don't need the trade as much as I need the manpower staying on task, so we're on lockdown. I can afford to wait out decades and mop them up in my own sweet time.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: October 29, 2010, 06:35:45 pm »

Good times.  The smelters are working overdrive to crank out gold, the fortress is secure, and our forces are undergoing a massive weaponry and armor upgrade program thanks to my legendary forging team.  10,000,000 wealth, here we come.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: October 29, 2010, 09:33:25 pm »

i finnaly found an use to these 467 bars of lead>:D.
im gonna make booze barrels!
Oh, no...you picked the heaviest, most useless metal to haul. As long as you're stuck with it, you should sell it off raw just to get rid of it. And don't smelt your galena, save it to stretch your gold by making electrum with it. That's the only way to give it value, and it gives your metalcrafter double the materials to work with.
oops...
well,then i shoul use aluminium for barrels.very light methinks.
I am a Goober.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: October 29, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »

Alright, first real siege this fortress.  Military to your stations! Siege engineers to your stations.  Lets give em hell!

Ok the goblin leader's olm has gone into the moat, they may be up to something keep ready!

...The goblin leader has drown...

...The goblins are running for their lives...

Ok Joe, go over there and shoot that olm til it stops doing alive type things, everyone else take five.

Well can't say I've ever had a siege resolve itself before.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:37:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:10 pm »

I saw a message that a forbidden set of silver bolts had been stolen. Wtf? I know those can't be mine, I checked my inventories before this siege started. Sure enough, an elite crossbow goblin on the far edge of the map had an empty quiver. I've never seen them fighting the wildlife, and there's no blood or bodies anywhere, so he couldn't have shot them all off.

Man, those kobolds are ballsy.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: October 29, 2010, 10:03:55 pm »

Killed a mountain titan via punching.... THE BLOOD IS EVERYWHERE, MY DWARVES PUNCHED OUT All OF IT'S BLOOD!
Nom nom nom

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: October 29, 2010, 10:12:27 pm »

*slams head on desk* WHY DID I MOD IN A FLYING CIVILIZATION!?!

Fucking Darnen showed up again. Not even a year after they fucked up my fort and they are already seeking to ruin me. So as if the Goblins standing outside and the zombies crawling into the fort weren't bad enough, I now have bug people to worry about. And with a grand total of 5 Dwarves, I'm not confident in their ability to survive any battle. So I took the cowards way out; I abandoned the fort.

Well, perhaps that's not the right term. It's more accurate to say that I abandoned part of it. Faced with certain death, I made the decision to herd everyone underground. I then had them wall off the only access to the surface. So Townbrush itself is empty. Nothing is in there but rotting corpses and rusting swords. When the Darnen fly in, they will find nothing to kill. All they will find is the results of their constant attacks. And then they will laugh.

Honestly, I might as well just give up completley now. There's really nothing I can do. I've been forced out of my home. Only 5 dwarves remain, and one them is stuck in an endless hauling loop. I have nothing to work with. There's no way for me to recover from this.  :-\
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7408 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:12 pm »

Honestly, I might as well just give up completley now. There's really nothing I can do. I've been forced out of my home. Only 5 dwarves remain, and one them is stuck in an endless hauling loop. I have nothing to work with. There's no way for me to recover from this.  :-\

Don't traps hurt flying creatures?  Build a long trap hallway.  If it's only one Z-level tall, they'll be forced to wade through the traps.  If you don't have weapons, stone-fall traps should work.

Alternately, wait out the siege and hope you get some migrants.
Suggestion:  Build a few long tunnels and drop a small stone/bar/whatever stockpile at the end.  Keep all but one dwarf out of the tunnel (wall it off or something).  Breach the outdoors at the far end of the tunnel then immediately order the miner to wall himself inside (tell him to build two adjacent walls then forbid the outer one -- that way you can control the side he builds from).  If you're fast enough, you should now have a semi-safe entrance for your migrants.  Keep the inner end secure with a wall.  The migrants can attempt to deconstruct the outer wall then wall themselves inside with the same stone.
It should work like a slow airlock.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:52 pm »

For years I had all legendary metalworkers except the armor. My only armorsmith was Skilled. I couldn't wait around for a mood to strike, so I at least got all soldiers into serviceable steel, then had him hammer out copper shields and melt them back down repeatedly.

Now a Grand Master, within 500 exp of Legendary, the mood strikes him. Damn, Urist, couldn't you have gotten that sooner? I didn't have any other use for the copper, but those smelters could've been burning more iron all that time; I've still got tons of goblinite queued.

So now I've got a Legendary+5 Armorer and steel buckler that, at 1.44 million, is the most valuable artifact in the fort.
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 3842