Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121058 times)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7380 on: October 28, 2010, 10:53:12 pm »

Testing my new dragon flavor mod mixed with another.  Strike the earth!

....There is a pack of twelve Deadly Nadders on the map already, armed with flame nearly hot enough to melt cotton candy.  They are a mere three z-levels down form my dwarves.  This will end badly.

Edit: Oh Armok the booze burns.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:56:02 pm by Clover Magic »

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7381 on: October 29, 2010, 12:59:16 am »

Dirgebrain succombed to a tantrum spiral, only unlike usual ones, berserks spread like the zombie plague. Before long, a full ten percent of the population was in a homicidal berserk, tearing everyone, and everything, else apart. Blood and gore was everywhere. The caged monsters were all released, and they all ran to the still-trapped vestibule, where they were pummeled by stone traps.

All hail the conquering worm!
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: October 29, 2010, 03:03:48 am »

My only Urist McWeaponsmith goes moody - claims a forge (thankfully - I have enough Legendary bonecarvers already) and sits there brooding.

Quick search on this suggests that he wants some silver, that being his favourite.  No silver anywhere so far. Luckily, I've hit a 53 level high cavern at the top, so quick look down shows silver nuggets on the wall about 20 levels down. Cancel all other mining, set a 20 level stairway and a small area to hopefully get some silver.

After a few minutes - it worked!! Only one miner managed it; the rest walked all the way down, dug two rocks, then went to eat. But I have a hole into the caverns now, which I'm not happy with (stairs) but we have The Oil of Dousing, a silver spear worth 33600.   

Shows that there are some aspects of DF that don't end in Fun...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: October 29, 2010, 03:10:16 am »

My only Urist McWeaponsmith goes moody - claims a forge (thankfully - I have enough Legendary bonecarvers already) and sits there brooding.

Quick search on this suggests that he wants some silver, that being his favourite.  No silver anywhere so far. Luckily, I've hit a 53 level high cavern at the top, so quick look down shows silver nuggets on the wall about 20 levels down. Cancel all other mining, set a 20 level stairway and a small area to hopefully get some silver.

After a few minutes - it worked!! Only one miner managed it; the rest walked all the way down, dug two rocks, then went to eat. But I have a hole into the caverns now, which I'm not happy with (stairs) but we have The Oil of Dousing, a silver spear worth 33600.   

Shows that there are some aspects of DF that don't end in Fun...

Galena is an ore of silver, if you didn't know that already. You really can't breach the caverns without finding any.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: October 29, 2010, 04:17:51 am »

Routwalled is currently forming its military.. As traps are for cowards, following force was demanded by the Mayor, in all-steel equipment. Once the force is ready, it will consist of Commander and his adjutant, 3 x 6-speardwarf squads, 2 x 6-sworddwarf squads, a 6-dwarf squad of hammers, squad of crossbowdwarves, Guards and a special medical team. So far ready are 14 Speardwarves and all 6 hammerdwarves, or about 1/3 of the whole planned army. I will also forge some weapons and armor to reserves...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:23:37 am by Erkki »

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: October 29, 2010, 04:40:06 am »

Embarked on an evil mountain. Not even a month in and all 7 of my dwarves are already dabbling goat-punchers (of the skeletal variety.)
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:47 am »

My frames have been grinding as low as 4, but I still don't find the game unplayable. I'm not optimistic about how a centralized power stack is going to improve fps, since testing the first 5 floors sucked in so much water that other nearby plants shut down, and fluids were swirling from end to end of the map. The magma sluices are making it worse since some of them are 2 channels high, and the fluid never levels out at the top.

But I got immigrants -- someone to staff the palace I'm building! In honor of my queen, the very best kind of monarch; one who shuts up and doesn't get in the way. I still haven't allocated their jobs since carving out plumbing and disposal has created a huge backlog of dump/store jobs. I'll have time to look at them when that's brought down to manageable.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:12 am »

I just started yet another new fort, and every. Single. Thing I brought with myself is on the very tippity-top of the tallest mountain on the map. Funny. I plan for it to be an above-ground town with underground mines, and since I, as always, have a volcano, there will be !!Fun!! in store for whatever tries to invade.

Added: And a good site for an abovegrounder it is. A mostly two-or-three level flat area with the end of a mountaineous spine jutting into the middle, the volcano serving as its terminus. Also, a river running straight through a small valley. Perfect for a multi-level town.
Second addition: And the magma in said volcano is on the ground level. Awesome. Won't flood much of my town with !!Fun!! if some part of my future wall will, for some reason, not be constructed yet.
Third addition: the volcano has two peaks standing at opposite sides of it. I think I know where I will dump my caged goblins from. Haven't been building large-scale bridges for a few forts already.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:19:33 am by NewSheoth »
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: October 29, 2010, 10:28:28 am »

A dwarf just bestowed the name "The Lessons of Greed" on his battle axe...sort of appropriate given how many greed-motivated goblin sieges he's fought off.  Now we just need to dig deeper to teach our dwarves a lesson about greed.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: October 29, 2010, 10:37:28 am »

Good news: I hit the caverns with my very first mining shaft.
Bad news: The first thing I saw was a ridiculous amount of giant cave spider webs everywhere.
My mason is hurrying to seal it off now.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: October 29, 2010, 10:46:02 am »

Currently upgrading my military force. Adding two hammerdwarves to train with the Two Hammer Lords i already have, 4 archers, four axes, and a couple swords. also a backup up squad of steel equipped legendary miners. With cotton candy picks. Cottan candy is a recent addition to my army. I actually accidently flooded the second level of it with magma. darn
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: October 29, 2010, 12:23:19 pm »

I finally managed to create a somewhat cup-shaped water reservoir outside, linked to a big stack of pumps. Whenever I want, I can send a pump operator on the extra pump at the very top to make a nice waterfall and lots of mist near the entrance of my fortress. Later, I will try making a "washing system" out of it, to clean parts of the map off invaders who can't swim.
It's been less than two weeks I've been playing, and all my previous fortresses were destroyed at most after the second goblin ambush. Now, I seek forgotten beasts for sport.  :D

EDIT: 1 minute after the artificial waterfall started, right under it, an adopted dog died after "colliding with an obstacle".
Huh.
This is very interesting to know.
I can smell much fun coming.

EDITē: holy shit it's raining fish!
I never have to fish again!
This shit is awesome!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 12:31:52 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: October 29, 2010, 12:30:35 pm »

i finnaly found an use to these 467 bars of lead>:D.
im gonna make booze barrels!
oh,and i also finished making 120x large serrated copper discs.
I am a Goober.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: October 29, 2010, 02:53:35 pm »

i finnaly found an use to these 467 bars of lead>:D.
im gonna make booze barrels!
Oh, no...you picked the heaviest, most useless metal to haul. As long as you're stuck with it, you should sell it off raw just to get rid of it. And don't smelt your galena, save it to stretch your gold by making electrum with it. That's the only way to give it value, and it gives your metalcrafter double the materials to work with.

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: October 29, 2010, 04:23:26 pm »

Building an aboveground fort proceeds at a steady pace. Mining out andesite, diorite and rhyolite right underneath my currently only building for that nice grey stone look. It's a huge tower, enough for an entire fortress to live in. Currently it's got 1.5 floors and a base for the third, and most of the planned space covered - it's built on uneven terrain, so I have to build floors to level it out.
A kobold thief jumped out of the rain and slashed at one of my builders. The dwarf's apparently made of iron, since the deep cut on his leg stopped bleeding very quickly, and he's right back to work even before I managed to respond and organise a hospital. Luckily, I've got an adequate-competent full team of medics in the latest migrant wave. Just in time, they will patch him up right away.

Update: And here come the surprisingly benign elves, bearing cloth and thread just when I needed it. They also brought a huge supply of wood and, most importantly, ready, unadorned barrels, as well as brew! Seriously, my elves love me - they never ask me to stop cutting down trees even! And now they help a dwarf recover from his injury. Could this be a step towards reconcilation?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:35:01 pm by NewSheoth »
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 3842