Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121048 times)

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7365 on: October 28, 2010, 10:33:13 am »

After a siege that went quite bad, (I was making a marksdorf tower and let the goblins in with the walls) I've now gotten more traps and even a wardog chained to my entrance. My tower is also complete and I have decent sized military.

And my broker slept through the time the human merchants were here...

EDIT: I also have some problems with my waterwheel. I can't seem to manage to connect the water wheel to the mill. The wheel is 3 z-levels higher than the place where the mill is supposed to come. The problem is between the lowest and the second lowest levels.

z            z-1       z-2     z-3                 I and - are horizontal axles,  o is vertical axle, x is gear assembly, and
                                                        ´ is the same spot in every z-level. What do I need in the ´ spot in
                                                          the lowest level? The connection works in z-2.
x x´           o´       o´           
I                                    I 
I                                    I
x (wheel)                        x--´
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:46:49 am by Tupu »
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:05 am »

z0
 ☼☼
 |
 |

z-1
o

z-2
o

z-3
|
|
☼-

There you go. You need a gear assembly instead of a horizontal axle.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Tupu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: October 28, 2010, 11:13:23 am »

Doesn't work for some reason.
"Histories of Greed and Labor"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: October 28, 2010, 12:55:16 pm »

Why you just don't dig staircases and bring mill ot the water wheel?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

PWRFLSTRGN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: October 28, 2010, 01:02:08 pm »

Holy Crap! I just lost all 21 of my dwarves to an early ambush. As the last one was bleeding out a mule kicked three goblins to death and 18 migrants, all with military skills arrived to finish off the last two. Lushseals Lives! Also, that mule shall have a place of honour somewhere.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7370 on: October 28, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »

Not all traps; I've watched detected thieves and invaders run through full rows of weapon traps and cage traps without ever triggering them unless they fell unconscious.
I caged a kobold once.
You must have stunned it or knocked it out on the trap, since kobolds have [TRAPAVOID] even if they've been spotted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

sir_schwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: October 28, 2010, 01:59:53 pm »

Just digging out inefficient storage areas with smoothed stone isles and lots of channeled overlooks through my workshops.  Just now a peasant that had been in a secretive strange mood(no shop for them) went insane.  It was during a party in my decent 20-person dining hall.  Funny watching all those dwarves scramble from the room  :P

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: October 28, 2010, 02:24:32 pm »

I was pretty thrilled with the reactor stack for obsidian production, but the power just isn't enough to maintain it as high as I want it. And that last FB showed how unsecure my wells are as they stand. And the mini-reactors I've got littered around are seriously eating up the frames. So, my next megaproject is facility that will provide all the water and power I need, from the cavern floor to the top of the volcano. My wells are going to be locked down and surrounded with drainage grating, so extracts won't spread to everyone who walks over it, and they're going to be deep enough to be mud-free, so everyone won't be dumping muddy puddles everywhere. There'll be mistfalls in the main gallery and down the major spires. All mills will be powered from a single stack.

I estimate my obsidian brick road is 1/3 complete, and eventually it'll make even hell Depot-accessible, but I'm not going any deeper until I conquer what I've already got.

Samuel

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McBateman cancels Attend Meeting: Too Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: October 28, 2010, 02:32:01 pm »

Urist McInexperiencedFarmer was ordered to move all our camels to one cage. He's got the "remove from cage" part down pat, but "lead to other cage" definitely needs work. Now he's chasing 5 different camels all over the map, and not making much progress either. I don't know if I should send some other dwarves to help him or play Yakety Sax.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: October 28, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »

Started the simple lava-gets-pumped-into-hole-and-I-get-magma-forge thing, and it promptly went through a magma safe wall. It didn't help that the dwarf dwarfing the pump seemed to be channeling Bender, with magma getting thrown every in the general direction I wanted it to go. Oh well, at least the doctors get some experience from the burn ward.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: October 28, 2010, 03:03:22 pm »

I'm trying to train some recruits using training weapon and found out they are actually very good vs unamoured opponents. Slug men snail men etc dont survive much then couple hits.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: October 28, 2010, 03:29:54 pm »

I found out how to cage elves the other day. If you hit them with a spike trap and they fall over and get caged. You can guess what I did with him.

Ontopic: I'm trying to make enough food to try to last my dwarfs, which is of course, failing miserably. I think I'm in for a good dose of Fun soon...
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »

I found out how to cage elves the other day. If you hit them with a spike trap and they fall over and get caged. You can guess what I did with him.

My approach to caging elves was trapdoor depot style. I like to build a giant wooden bucket shaped building, with a platform containing a training depot over the top accessible by ramps leading to a bridge. Elves arrive for trade, a pull of the lever and they fall a few stories into the bottom of the bucket, which is lined with cage traps. A fair number of them get destroyed by the cave in, unfortunately, but if it succeeds I have new temporary pets, and if it fails, I have some very pissed off elves I can convince my dwarfs to kill, so it's a win-win situation.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Zidane

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Mc Fracture has been struck down by Horse!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:34 pm »

In building an elaborate magmaduct, because the volcano I'm on has a giant tube of lava 20 zlevels above any rock.
Give cats natural metallic armor and throw them in your danger room.  Also allow their mouth and tail to grasp (shield in mouth, weapon in tail xD)  Have a cat based military.  You know, do the same with all tame animals xD send in the cats as shock troops to disrupt the archers

Magitrek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: October 28, 2010, 10:13:58 pm »

Trying to make my first aqueduct. It's not going so well: all 3 miners have died.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 3842