Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121766 times)

Kutta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7260 on: October 24, 2010, 03:21:45 am »

Killed a full 70-strong clown spawn with 15 full legendary axedwarfs in steel - full melee, no cave-ins, siege engines or archers. And no axedwarf got injured.

This has never happened to me. Previously my full legendary dwarves killed on average 2-3 clowns per capita before overpowered. I think the culprit is the diagonal corridor in which they fought; mayhap it squelched the breath attacks. Although there was still a fair share of "X caught in Y" messages.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #7261 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:38 am »

Off to make 100+ coffins, and room for them.  :'(

EDIT: its about 125 now, the goblins just keep coming. I made new room for coffins and now its filled so time to make third.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:21:42 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: October 24, 2010, 12:40:44 pm »

Today is a fine day to reside in Hellblizzards! There have only been a couple deaths, I've managed to stave off starvation, and nobody knows anyone else, so further deaths won't result in a tantrum spiral. I still can't get around to digging a properly trapped entrance so i'm currently sealed off from the outside world, but that shouldn't be too big a problem in the future, I've walled off an area to breach the aquifer again and prepared to begin excavation of the tunnels as soon as I've dug out stockpile and workshop areas.

Urist McUselessRanger has been possessed!
Urist McUselessRanger has claimed a glass furnace (and refuses to use the wonderful magma glass furnaces?!)
Urist McUselessRanger has begun a mysterious construction!
Urist McUselessRanger has created Gethorrikkir, a green glass figurine of a blood gnat! featuring diorite encrustations, green glass spikes, and a depiction of a murder that happened a couple years ago!
Urist McUselessRanger has made himself less valuable to Armok!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 12:54:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: October 24, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »

I finally opened the first layer of caves and butchered the natives ; it went far better than I thought, I killed around seven reptile men, a giant cave swallow, a giant toad, a troll and a giant olm with only losing a single dwarf ear (there is a "Urist McWarrior left ear" somewhere in the cave). All in all, much less damage than the half dead raccoon who managed to survive the rock fall traps, agonized into the stairs, caused a lot of interruption spam messages, and forced me to send my militia end his misery !

The corpses are rotting and it fills my tower with miasma, but I don't care, I designated them for dumping, if my dwarves like to live in miasma it's their problem ! Breakingthrough the second layer of caverns is going to be tough, as I insist on going in a straight line for m stairs, and the second cavern is just a giant lake.

My biggest problem is stuff cluttering my workshops ... I might just give everything I can to that human caravan, it's not like I am going to use that sea of rock mugs anyways, and I might just trade everything to buy their bronze fancy stuff to melt it and build weapons with it. But it's dwarf fortress ! Odd things happens !

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: October 24, 2010, 04:21:58 pm »

My cage traps have caught a cyclops, ettin and a dragon. War dragon, anyone?  8)

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: October 24, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »

In my current fort, I have had the amazing luck to have my central staircase perfectly lined up with solid rock all the way down to semi-molten rock, from level -21 down to -119 (!!!) ... and almost 9k emerald is kinda cool too.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: October 24, 2010, 05:15:15 pm »

I recently started a fort after months and months of not playing, and man had I forgot how good this game is:

Just as I thought I had things going rather nicely and the fort had steady growth going with a comfortable 57 dwarves, a spitting elephant-like creature made out of moonstone comes spewing deadly spit on my dwarves. 5 dead, couple hurt, not that big a deal, though some of my best soldiers fell. At least my doctors got something to practice on. Aaand then the goblins come to pay a visit with the dwarven caravan. The entrance and trade depot area goes in to absolute chaos as Merchants, Soldiers, animals and freshly recruited dwarfs chase and get chased by Goblin Lashers and Swordsmen. 10 more dead, around 15 badly hurt, and from the last 25 work-capable dwarves, half are miserable, grieving their lost friends, choking on the miasma that envelops the fort. All efforts go to clearing the bodies and patching up the injured dwarves, the Legendary Bone Carver being the best pick for the role of Bone Doctor, after the Chief Doctor goes Berserk in the Dining Hall.

All the time the Mayor struggles on the brink of insanity and keeps getting pummeled by upset dwarves. Every dwarf going crazy taxes his mind a bit more.

Then a fire-breathing lobster decides to attack. Rith ,a puny Engraver, volunteers to seal the tunnels to prevent it from getting in. Sadly, he locks himself out. Amazingly enough, the lobster isn't interested in him at all, and instead starts waiting at the sealed underground entrance of the fort. Rith starts gathering plants to stay alive and finds some quiet corner away from the beast to spend every night. Then, few months later, he sees his chance, the eyeless montrosity has crept to the catacombs! He grabs some Jet next to him and imprisons the vile creature with his deceased friends. He can finally return to the fort and it's comfy beds, decadent drinks and his two remaining children.

All the while, the dabbling doctors worked hard, bringing all the injured dwarves to working condition and only one more of the miserable dwarves got struck by melancholy. When Spring arrives, even the mayor, after battling through a depressing half a year says he's feeling fine and is ready to lead Mobgorge and it's remaining 36 dwarves onwards.

Aah, that felt good, I really needed to unload some stories from the fort and gush about DF generally. Now, onto making Mobgorge a tad bit safer from attackers until I can set up an army again.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:18:59 pm by LASD »

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54:40 pm »

So I'm playing with Zaerosz's Flavour Mod, and things are rapidly becoming too awesome to handle.

The site I'm on has a pair of spires, which is wicked. I decide to make one tower into a barracks area with all my defenses in it against attackers, then build a bridge that crosses over into the mountain for the fortress proper.

2 months in and I strike a 2 tile deposit of Mythril while digging out my first stockpile room.

Next, I spend a few months setting up the basics and I weave the mythril into strands, set up the farms, carved a meeting hall, built bedrooms, and so on. I trade the strands to the first caravan for all the booze and a bar of elysium steel, worth a tidy 2500 urists.

Then the king arrives, which I thought wasn't possible anymore. He brings with him 40 migrants, swamping the hell out of my beleaguered starting 7.

Then my metalcrafter moods and makes an artifact scepter worth 1,201,200 urists. Increasing my fortress value by roughly 2600 times. This is my first artifact, in the middle of the first winter.

Que headasplosion. 6_9

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: October 24, 2010, 07:42:23 pm »

After some major FUN with Goblins ambushing me, wiping out half my melee squad and enjuring the rest, things have finally started to calm down again around my fortress. I've set a safe burrow for all dwarves that I do not want outside. The ones I let collect the dead and loot are all migrants with no special job yet. It was also quite busy in my fortress for the last couple of hours untill in the last hour I recieved a new migrant wave of 20 bringing my population up to 80 dwarves :-)
My fort is walled in pretty good and we are quite selfsustainable in case of trouble outside of the wall, but I still liked to expand the safe zone a bit. So I've started digging a moat, just one tile wide and planning on making it two z's deep. I've read some fun stuff about adding animals to the dry moat which I think is a really good plan :-) Anyone stupid enough to fall in will be injured and won't be in a position to fight off a horde of hungry animals I guess.
Now it's safer to go outside I've also built a ring of cage traps around my fort to see if I can catch some alligators. And just before I quit an Elf caravan arrived and I like animals so I always buy all species I can get from the elves.
As I don't have a source of flowing water I am tapping into surface water right now and directing it slowly down as to not drying all my ponds. This way I will in the future be able to create a well inside my hospital. Today I also built the Lye Makers Workshop to provide for future soaping industry.
Oh yeah another project I did not finish yet is a 10z-level hole beneath my drawbridge. The hole is there (I even tested it once with a captured goblin and oh yeah he did not survive) but I still need to channel into it from the surface.
Maybe in the future I'll create some holes randomly on the map. 2x2x2 holes sealed with a bridge and surrounded by pressure plates connected to the bridge.

But now I really need to go to bed because it is already way too late and I have to work all week :-( this stuff is so addictive!
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: October 24, 2010, 07:45:30 pm »

Decided to embark on my first real fortress, Bladecats, today. Generated a nice map with no aquifer, a nice sized mountain, a good amount of trees and other shrubs, and a perfect climate. There's two other Dwarf settlements nearby, and a bunch of human towns slightly further away. No elves, no goblins. Three Miners, a Carpenter, a Farmer, a Mason, and an Axedorf.

Ten seconds in I find Bauxite (loads of it). Twenty seconds in I find Sapphires. Awesome.

As soon as I start mining, I notice my third miner isn't mining. I also notice I only have two picks. HAULER DUTY

Dug out some rooms and made beds, doors, and statues for every dwarf. The next task is to get everything inside, and figure out how to farm. There's a 7/7 murky pool nearby... I'm expecting a bit of Fun.

Prepaid Lenin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: October 24, 2010, 08:06:11 pm »

And now my second artifact is an electrum crossbow. Legendary weaponsmith! I had to rush to smelt something just to get him a bar.

The stars have aligned on this fortress.

Traece

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: October 24, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »

So far this hybrid above/below fortress is going very well. I've got a wonderful abbey up above with a two-layered stone and wood wall and some statues adorning the pathways leading in and around to my meeting hall.

Now about those statues: "This is a masterful aluminum statue of Goden Hoistboard created by Etur Kodorzas. The item is a masterfully designed image of Goden Hoistboard the dwarf in aluminum by Etur Kodorzas. Goden Hoistboard is dead. The artwork relates to the dehydration of the dwarf Goden Hoistboard in Deathforest in the late spring of 100." How blunt... I also have a statue depicting a dwarf murdering another dwarf with his pickaxe because the dead dwarf was previously a berserk dwarf. These guys just love to make statues of dead people dying.
Oh and we can't forget: "This is a superior quality aluminum statue of Zega Trancebowed. The item is a superiorly designed image of Zega Trancebowed the human and Nethgon Blossomdung the Leopard of Love the swamp titan in aluminum by Erush Medeningiz. Nethgon Blossomdung the Leopard of Love is striking down Zega Trancebowed. The artwork relates to the killing of the human Zega Trancebowed by the swamp titan Nethgon Blossomdung the Leopard of Love in The Heavenly Swamp in 21." I have another statue depicting a different human being slain by this same swamp titan. I'm expecting more to come. I really hope that the aforementioned titan doesn't visit me any time soon. :( Edit2: Another statue of a guy getting slain by this swamp titan. This time in the year 89. That's 11 years ago!

Edit: Not even ten minutes later I managed to get almost twenty more migrants (which means my fortress will be even more overpopulated), AND capture a live Fluffy Wambler. Thank goodness. Now I don't have to fear Bronze Colossi. P.S.: Did I mention that my tower's roof is adorned with a Colbatite "H"? That will come in handy thousands of years from now when human flying machines (or monsters) want to visit.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:27:07 pm by Traece »
In adventure mode I killed a Hydra within fifteen minutes, and then was mortally wounded by Carp while swimming in a river.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: October 24, 2010, 10:14:31 pm »

The First Child is born! The fortress finally has a native!

Aside from that, it's mostly just normal fortress-going, no deaths, no migrants, haven't traded with the caravans... I should set up my cage traps...

Shortly thereafter, a second child was born to our broker!

There is a reason to worry however; the smith locked away, the only survivor of the original seven, has had a broken nose the entire time, and it has a 'dwarf pus covering'. This has me very concerned, I don't know if he actually NEEDS medical treatment or not for a possible infection, and I don't want to let him mingle with any outsiders in the meantime, but I feel that it may be necessary to leave him, for a time, in the care of our incompetent medical staff. He's more likely to starve to death than actually receive treatment...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:29:01 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: October 24, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »

Nethgon Blossomdung the Leopard of Love

Best titan name I've seen lately.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:15 am »

I probably should have started building slightly lower.

It's a fairly long story, full of learning experiences, but at this exact moment, at the beginning of the 6th in-game month of my fortress, 3 waterfalls are flowing out of a fortress built into a cliff-face because I accidentally breached the aquifer in the layer directly above it(I hadn't been having any problems, and didn't realize just how dire wet stone would be to me).  This particular fort is one I'm using to write a story, in the form of a detailed diary of events that take place.  The latest update is about the expedition leader being worried because two of his three friends where washed out of the fortress and plummeted 150 feet into the river below(for measurements, I'm assuming a z-level is 10 feet, although that obviously doesn't always work).  Those friends where 1 of the 3 miners I had, and the only farmer.  My only hunter also died in the accident, but wasn't his friend.  Besides, no game had shown up yet, so he was mostly being useless.  I'm not sure it matters about the farmer though, since I had to close off access to the farms.  All 3 died because that particular path had the most powerful water flow over it.

In addition to being worried about the death of his friends, the expedition leader is also trapped in his room with water on the other side of the door.  In fact, at least 3 dwarves are trapped in or near there rooms.  I'm not sure exactly where my two miners are, and I have a single dwarf trapped in the "safe" area where walls block all the ways water can get in, which unfortunately also keeps out all the other dwarves.  I just remembered that I hadn't designated a food stockpile, which would have been on his side, so he has no food, although he does have 5 dogs, a horse, and a butcher shop.  Now I must make a hasty rescue attempt and figure out what to do with the 6 dwarves I have, because 2 arrived just one week before all of this started.  I will NOT abandon this though.  Gemskin will become great!

Oh, the one in the safe room, he's one of the two migrants, and there's an entry just shortly before all this about how useless the leader thinks he is.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:42:07 am by Interus »
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 3842