Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122490 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7140 on: October 18, 2010, 05:09:54 pm »

Hey, it could be worse. It could have been bone and then steel.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: October 18, 2010, 05:29:33 pm »

Messing around with worldgen, trying to get some real cliffs like my 40d fort has. No luck. At least I managed to strike adamantine within five minutes of embark. Assuming "throwing all the cats and a camel into the volcano" counts as "striking." ;D That... was a long way down.

Does anyone have any idea how to get real cliffs in 2010 besides carving them yourself? I tried turning off "periodically erode extreme cliffs," but that just seems to make steeper hills. Hills =/= cliffs. I want something that approximates DF's learning curve, dammit!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #7142 on: October 18, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »

I don't believe you can gen overhang as part of a natural cliff face can you?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: October 18, 2010, 05:48:16 pm »

Ah the overhang. Just when you think you've got it down, fate springs a finely designed upright spike trap right in your nuts.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: October 18, 2010, 06:11:03 pm »

I don't believe you can gen overhang as part of a natural cliff face can you?

Haha, no I just meant vertical. However, I did have a bit of natural overhang in that volcano. Just one square of shoreline at the surface of the lava, but it was there!

Ah the overhang. Just when you think you've got it down, fate springs a finely designed upright spike trap right in your nuts.

That's your own fault for modding them in. *whistles innocently*
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:06 pm »

Messing around with worldgen, trying to get some real cliffs like my 40d fort has. No luck. At least I managed to strike adamantine within five minutes of embark. Assuming "throwing all the cats and a camel into the volcano" counts as "striking." ;D That... was a long way down.

Does anyone have any idea how to get real cliffs in 2010 besides carving them yourself? I tried turning off "periodically erode extreme cliffs," but that just seems to make steeper hills. Hills =/= cliffs. I want something that approximates DF's learning curve, dammit!

Set your erosion cycle count to 0... or none, I forget which. The one that makes erosion not happen.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »

I've only ever gotten cliffs by mountain lakes.  Look for any spot where the tallest mountains run right up against the edge of the water.  Though you might need to use embark anywhere.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: October 18, 2010, 11:10:15 pm »

I tried worldgen again with the erosion cycle set to None. I did find a few tiny (up to four squares of a single z-level) cliffs on one embark that consisted entirely of "extreme cliffs," but for the most part it just slapped ramps up against ramps. There wasn't even room for the wagon! But it still wasn't what I was looking for. (And while cliffs above water are also cool, they aren't what I'm looking for either.)

Maybe it's time to go back to an old fort. My 40d fort has plenty of good ambush action and maybe I can persuade the goblins to actually siege me.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: October 19, 2010, 01:31:40 am »

*upright "microcline" maul*

Well, that sucks. Next embark!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7149 on: October 19, 2010, 01:49:18 am »

I began a new fort.  This one will be a magma worshipping grounds.  I'll have a huge empty cave around the pipe, living quarters in the undergroud, a few forges, nothing fancy.

The fun part will be the extra-long way the caravan and siegers need to take to get into the fort.  They'll be on retractable drawbridges which, when retracted, drops everybody down ten Z-levels.

I'll use this on caravans.  :D

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: October 19, 2010, 03:25:11 am »

My hammerdwarf paralyzed one of my farmers by breaking his lower spine.  He's been lying in his own bed for a year or so, unable to walk himself to the hospital and no one has taken him there.  He's still listed as requiring diagnoses.  I also just realized he's starving.  I've kept an eye on him for a while to see and no one is bringing him food.  So I reassign the bedroom he's laying in to some random peasant, expecting them to wander in for a nap and go "Oh there's a guy dying in my new bed.  Maybe I should help him."

Nope.  He's been standing there next to the bed for about a month just watching.  He could be sadistically fascinated.  He could be too lazy to help the guy and would rather wait around for him to die and simply shove him out of the bed afterwards.  Or the AI is simply broken in this scenario.  I prefer to think it's one of the first two.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: October 19, 2010, 05:09:37 am »

My latest series of events, resulting me to savescum in the end:

I had discovered the candy, worth of four levels mined out. I was planning on to make it as the chambers (bedroom, office, dining room and tomb, each one on it's own floor) for my upcoming queen inside. Well, I had the rooms mined, and designated stockpile for all the results of mining, as well as ordered my engravers to smooth each floor. Also, I had ordered the furniture to placed there.

Well, it seemed that I accidentaly ordered one square to be mined, which connected the whole thing to the magma. One of my miners went a head and mined that one bit of stone. Result: magma flooding inside. It wouldn't have been total catastrophy if it had happened in lower sections, but no, it happened on the very top floor of the vein, and of course the magma flowed down to every floor.

I didn't noticed this before I saw the messages of people dying. It took only twenty of seconds before all the four floors were full of magma, and the death count was: four legendary miners, five legendary engraves, twelve random dwarves who just happened to be there either because of picking the stone or bringing the furniture down there. Also, I think I lost about dozens of different animals which were pets of the dead. Among the dead dwarves was also two children, so in the end the total of dead dwarves was 23.

Well, the fun did end up there. It seemed that some of them were very good friends with half of the forts, some even were married. So, it didn't take long when half of my fortress was tantruming, killing each one while my military (10 axedwarves and 10 archers, each equiped with steel) tried to get some sense to the chaos. twenty more dwarves died, though luckily none of my military. At this point my population had dropped from 105 to 62. And that's when the goblin decided to siege...

First wave of the goblins killed my axe squad, leaving me with only the archers. Well, even though the archery is buggy at the best, the ten soldiers were able to kill the rest of the goblins. But there were civilian casualties as well, five mechanics died while trying to reload the cage traps (stupid mechanics...  >:()

Second tantrum spiral, though not as bad as the previous one. Six more dwarves dead, leaving me only with 41 dwarves, of which 10 were children, and ten were archers.

Besides the archers and children, after the second tantrum spiral was over, what did everybody do? They threw a grand party!  :o ???

AWESOME!!!  ;D

EDIT: The best part was that my classmates were wondering why I had red face during the class. Well, it was because I was trying to hold the laughter inside so that I wouldn't disturb the class going on... :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:11:55 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: October 19, 2010, 05:16:50 am »

Late spring of 103 in DreamLetter; pop. 55

My four-man squad are finally legendary axe lords, except for Ed, who seems to like hammers. Big Ed. He's the town sherriff, and it's a good thing I've made some jail cells, because I wouldn't want to meet the stern end of his hammer.

Kel the Stonecrafter is pumping out masterwork rock crafts, and this just in, fresh off the anvil, steel chain mail shirts all around!

We've had our first death this week, due to our first ambush, right at the gate. Poor fella didn't have a chance. The ambushers are now in cages, testing the fatality rate of an eight-story drop down my goblinite recycler. It isn't always fatal, but what little is left is an easy mop-up job. Are goblins edible? Because I've got about ten fresh ones at the bottom of my rapid deceleration test chamber.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:32:21 am by AngleWyrm »

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: October 19, 2010, 05:31:31 am »

Workedautumns, my first truly successfully fort, was in its 6th year (1056, pop. 120 or so). There was so much food and booze that I had let all the fields go fallow and stopped the stills. Iron, marble, wood and coal abound - in fact the only thing I lack is sand.

The (outside...) defenses have proved impregnable - a 5z wall around the keep, which is itself only reachable by a 9x5 raisable drawbridge over a natural gully (2 - 3z drop). Flanking the other end of the drawbridge are two 6z high towers, only reachable from underground (and in fact directly over the marksdwarves barracks) which have been suprisinginly effective at stopping most goblin charges... although I did lose my only elite marksdwarf to a single headshot through the fortifications by an elite human working with the goblins.

Anyway, in short, I was getting bored*. I decided it was time to see if my two squads of steel-armoured recruits could safely breach the 1st cavern I had found while initially digging down for the dorms. My central staircase had clipped a cavern right at the top corner in the first year of the fort, so I walled it off and figured it was safe enough until I was ready.

Urgoth Something, a giant being made of gore and filth. Beware his deadly dust! had been spotted several years ago, and although I couldn't see him on the unit list I was pretty sure he was lurking around somewhere... I didn't want to take any chances**. From above, I hollowed out a large stalactite near my planned entrance into the cavern and carved arrow slits in all directions. I set up an 'airlock'; a room with four entrances, all controlled by levers, as the only ingress... one floodgate led to my fortress, another would lead to my planned entrance to the cavern floor. The other two floodgates led to a channel to the river 20z above, and a drain into the 3rd level cavern to get rid of said water.

With this airlock I hoped to solve several problems... obviously as a secure entrance to the caverns, a drowning chamber for invaders from the caverns, a place to gather the militia before embarking (the airlock-style entrance ensures that insane weavers dont rush out into the monsterfilled caverns as soon as I unforbid the entrance), and also as a washing room... I hoped that I could wash any dwarves that had been covered in any kind of syndrome-inducing-substance by drowning them for a while in river water. Tough love, man.

Anyway, I had it all ready, the last thing that remained was to mine the actual entrance to the cavern, put in the floodgate and hook it up to the lever. I stationed my best marksdwarves in my guard-stalectite, double checked the unit list to make sure there was no cave-beasties around and gave the mine order. And... it went off without a hitch.

Placing the floodate however, didn't go so well...

Ooops, outta time right now, TBC later today!

* Player boredom is the single greatest cause of death of Dwarves over the age of 20.

** I had lost my last fort to a human diplomant / giant beaver-man (perhaps a Canadian?) who for some reason had the same type of description as a FB. Beware his deadly dust! He wouldn't talk to my mayor, just followed him around destroying any furniture he touched... eventually he destroyed an artifact statue I had in my dining hall and I decided enough was enough. I gathered my rag-tag militia and gave the kill order... the battle went for like 20 mins, the diplomat filling the room with his dust every couple of seconds. Funnily enough, your main meeting area is a bad place to fight a FB / giant beaver-man human diplomat. Pretty much every one got some kind of horrible disease and died in the hallways, or perished in an orgy of pus-covered tantruming violence. Then the goblins came. tl;dr: I am scared of FBs with deadly dust.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:40:41 am by Asymptote »

Asymptote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: October 19, 2010, 06:54:22 am »

So, Workedautums 1056, a random mason is installing the floodgate on my airlock-entrance to the caverns, watched over by a squad of marksdwarves and some steel-clad recruits in case of emergency.

And suddenly... POW, outta nowhere runs Urgoth Something, fast as lightning... honestly, Im running at about 5 FPS, and he's going at least 3x as fast as a dwarf. I panic and order the airlock locked down, but he's too fast; he smashes the mason 2 screens into the caverns and barrels down the central stair case into my dorms before anyones even close to the lever... the marksdwarves don't get a shot off. I order my two newbie squads to pile on (18-19 steel clads) and a massive brawl erupts, dogs, dwarves, all invisible under the neverending bursts of dust. I am worried. I still have my 6 experienced soldiers in reserve far above near the fortress entrance, but I want to keep them away from the dust if possible.

He kills a wardog and two recruits outright, terminally injures another two dwarves, but eventually he sucumbs under weight of numbers... in truth I have no idea what actually happened, all I could see was dust and I couldn't be bothered wading throught the 40+ page combat log of "Forgotten Beast is enveloped in freezing Forgotten Best extract!". For all I know he killed himself with his own dust.

Almost immediately, the rotting began.

A little word about the layout of Workedautumns... the entrance is carved into the top of a natural 7z rock spire that stands above a river gully, the sharp peak of a small mountain.

What the next wagonload of merchants would have seen was essentially a miasma volcanoe. 100+ rotting kittens and puppies tore around the fortress, and all the miasma filtered up the central stairway and eventually out into the open air, resulting in a 10z+ mushroom cloud of miasma pouring out the top of the spire and flowing down its sides. I ordered all non-pet animals butchered and the rest caged, but the fortress was in complete chaos and progress was slow.

40ish dwarves where rotting, the 10 bed hospital was full so they mostly just languised and died in the hallways or alone in their bedrooms. The hospital was just a bright purple patch of miasma on my screen... I had no idea what was happening in there, just occassional death messages. Dr Zen and Nurse Stinky both sickened and died, but Dr Best was indefatigable and worked night and day to try and save his brethren (at least I assume he did... I couldn't actually see anything, and to be brutally honest it would have been more in character of him to kick a patient out of bed and sleep his way through the crisis). It would be nearly TWO YEARS before I saw the hospital again, and when I did in every bed and covering most of the floor where dwarven corpses.

I deliberately breached the defenses in several places to try and let some of the miasma out. When I carved a hole in the roof of the hospital, a 7z cloud of miasma instanly formed above it... and I still couldn't see inside.

I had two masonshops on repeat orders for coffins, but between the tantrums and sheer number of deaths they couldn't keep up. A legendary miner struck down the legendary armoursmith, who was then himself taken down by the militia. The militia themselves (those who weren't rotting) attacked each other in their baracks, leaving arms, feet and even a nose for me to find in the cleanup years later. The wounded perished from lack of medical care. The legendary gem cutter threw herself in the river, the mayor went mad and attacked the legendary fighter captain of the guard, who funnily enough just blocked every attack until one of his men struck the mayor down with a single axe-blow from behind.

However, slowly but surely, the pets all started dieing, the tantrums died a away, and some merchants arrived (those that saw the miasma-volcanoe) bringing some much needed distraction. The population was down to about 50 adult dwarves and 10 children (from ~120). My elite squad of dwarves had only suffered two casualties, and I still had 8 marksdwarves. The most scariest fricken dwarf I have ever seen (I'll probably talk about my capt of the guard another time - The Imperial Keeper of Pages(?)) was still ecstatic (he is truly sociopathic) and I was very careful to keep him happy throughtout... I'm pretty sure he could kill every dwarf, animal and mineral in the fortress without taking a scratch.

Two years later and the cleanup was mostly complete. I'd lost most of my legendary dwarves, and of the original 7 only Chis the mason remains. The ineptness of the hastily appointed newbie broker meant I had to sell pretty much everything to the merchants just to get a decent load of sand and crossbow bolts, but he went from dabbling to master in one trading session, so the next time it should be better.

I keep finding little suprises from the crisis, however... the nose in the baracks, the dog corpses that for some reason no-one will take to the refuse, the fact that Dr Best is now a High Master diagnostician, the savage beating that occasionally get meted out, presumably for crimes commited during The Rot. But Workedautumns lives on! Now its time to return to the caverns...
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 3842