Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122750 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #7080 on: October 16, 2010, 09:09:04 pm »

A detailed record book was found a few miles south of the capital city of The Portentous Corridors, Fatalsyrup.  Oddly enough, it turned out to be the journal of none other than Baron "Humbert von Gikingen" Honoredpaddle, the official leader of Lungtown.  The final entry read as follows...

Dear Queen Cerolaved,

I am sorry to say that our expedition into the forbidden realms failed.  Though our soldiers were surely up to the task at a glance, we quickly learned the fury of the depths as even more deadly creatures swarmed into our exploratory colony.  The entrance has been sealed off, with dozens of workers and the corpses of our bravest warriors still down there.  We had not anticipated such tragedy to strike us so drastically...

Our spirits are broken.  We cannot continue this madness.  None of us who can still walk know how to fight, and those of us who can still walk grow fewer by the hour as our collective sanity snaps.  We are leaving this fortress behind, with the hopes that some other group will be able to continue our work and possibly even unseal the pathways to the deep again and succeed where we have failed.

You will never see me again, milady.  I cannot face my peers with the shame of my failure so recent.  I and my remaining loyal followers will wander this world in search of repentance for our grave mistakes, changing our group's title from The Oceanic Razors to The Matched Rags.  I know that you shall find this notebook, and hope that you will understand.  May our empire shine brightly forevermore.

Sincerely,
Baron "Humbert von Gikingen" Honoredpaddle
Sanity is for the weak.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7081 on: October 16, 2010, 09:33:51 pm »

Started a new fortress - as far from volcanoes, cliffs, magma and caverns as possible, given my past issues.  Found a nice little flat plain, with two rivers meeting. 

There's a small waterfall, hippos, and the odd elephant, but on the other side of the main river.  Siltstone.  Five levels of siltstone, and first cavern found on the sixth level.  Okay... Wall it off and carry on, but with an indoor tree farm.

Dig a little deeper, looking for the marble supposedly around.  Find 'a vast magma ocean'! Go up a few levels, tunnel sideways looking for said marble, and it's "Magma Pipes", another cavern system', and, for the first time for me, Adamantine (Praise the miners!).

I have 14 dwarves and it hasn't even been a year.  I have no idea where things are as announcements are coming from all sides. And all I want is flux stone....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: October 16, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »

I have just completed my Temple of Solomon in 40d and am finally getting DF2010. This game is so jokes.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:47 pm »

thanks to the magic of RAW editing and worldgen, i've made a second fortress where i can safely cheat my pants off without impacting my main fortress.

Current population: 7 Dorves, ~10 reptile men, a couple'a dragons and some other Misc. wildlife what i hacked to be [COMMON_DOMESTIC].
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

LealNightrunner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: October 17, 2010, 12:14:00 am »

So... Wallpacked... the idea to cave-in past the aquifer didn't go so well (Read: complete disaster).  The poor suicide dwarf that was the first to remove the construction died, along with a dog that was too close.  Unfortunately I had to cave in past my food stockpile, so there's now a bajillion submerged plump helmets that are going to rot, but that's not too big of an issue.  There's also a SECOND dwarf skeleton here, but I can't even find the announcement proclaiming his death.  My last hope is to either expand my original breach in the first layer of the aquifer to a 7x7, which would require a lot of drowning and pretty much rebuilding the entire system and starting from scratch at an entirely new site... or abusing the fact that the map freezes for all of like 20 days in winter, where I get to frantically work past the ice and pray that no one gets entombed or drowned.

EDIT: Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 12:36:20 am by LealNightrunner »
Current Fort: NatureRags

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7085 on: October 17, 2010, 12:47:03 am »

Migrants! While we're still surrounded by goblin ambushers! a high master mason, a high master milker, and a high master thresher in the first three, followed by a talented gem setter.

I really need the extra haulers, that mason too, but there's nothing I can do for them but draft them as wrestlers and send them to their deaths. The goblins are coming, so swiftly... if i opened the doors I'd only end up losing a dozen or so soldiers as well as every last migrant. So sad... They can't even run to grab the numerous sets of weapons/armor lying around, the goblins are charging along their route.

And every last one of them is dead. Not a single goblin died, only one marksdwarf managed to even cause injury. They're busy chasing the animals now.

Elsewhere, I seem to be losing water in the second cavern level;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and something tells me the blind cave ogres there are not the cause  :o
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 01:00:42 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: October 17, 2010, 04:23:36 am »

Granitehelms dead.  One FB came, ripped through 14 dwarves, several elite human guards, and is now trapped outside, away from the miasma and tantrum spiral occurring inside.

Once I hit that first cavern, things were way out of hand. Never did find that marble, either...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7087 on: October 17, 2010, 06:43:45 am »

Found a new area where there is a flat volcano on a desert, and vast amount of mineral wealth.

I had forgotten how quick it was to dig farms and entrance hallways into sand, and because of this, the forges are up and running by late summer.

I'm not making the mistake of assuming a single squad of 5 dwarves can defend me again, even if they are legendary.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:47 am »

This is just cool.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: October 17, 2010, 10:55:12 am »

Glitterhammers survived two years without a farm, attacks of harpies and werewolves.

Now, the shruk killed 11 from 12 of recruits, who, unfortunately, lacked weapons. Even armored in iron, they didn't made it. The stone traps and two markdwarves with their bone bolts scared them away.

The only survivor, Alath, is sleeping with two arms broken in his quarters, screaming in tantruming fits, grieving the loss of his brethren, and possibly shouting obscenities at me for being lazy with metalworks.

Also, got a fancy violet metal amulet with some gem crusting! And a legendary metalcrafter as well.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mr. Argent

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:TRAITOROUS_NATURE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: October 17, 2010, 11:00:21 am »

On my non-cheat fortress i've hit Cotton Candy. Now it's simply a matter of carefully rationing it all out and avoiding hitting the Hidden Fun Stuff (plus having some Walls ready for when i do)... Hopefully i'll have enough Cotton Candy to make at least a few suits of armor, some picks and some other weapons.

[/houseofleaves]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:04:03 am by Mr. Argent »
Urist McVenom Cancels strange mood: Being exiled.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: October 17, 2010, 11:02:41 am »

I'm busy carving out the entire insides of a mountain into a colossal fortress. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: October 17, 2010, 03:05:06 pm »

It just won't die....why?!   :(

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Haha, pretty bad luck you're having there.

Especially considering that:
God damnit. Dwarven stupidity is sometimes bad enough, but combined with bad timing, it's assfuck.

The second migrant wave to my newborn fort happened to arrive about the exact same time a blizzard man crossed over to my map a rather small distance away, directly south of my fort's entrance. The migrants run across the thing mid-way to my fort's entrance, and deem it a good idea to run for their miserable lives. A reasonable solution, were it not for the fact that they ran northwards, directly into my fort. Got no military or working traps, so the blizzard man is killing everyone now. By pure luck, I managed to evacuate an acceptable number of dorfs to the lower levels, and I'm hoping now that the blizzy will leave after it's done with the slaughtering. I also hope those fucking migrants get what they deserve at the cold claws of the ice fiend.

The conclusion to this story was that a random miner struck the blizzard man's head off with a single swing of the pick. Ultimately it only managed to kill three or four dwarves, but some more died of thirst because they couldn't get into the booze stockade. For some reason it seemed to focus more in the killing of animals. There are no cats in my fortress now.

I guess the blizzard men in my world are just lame. Meanwhile, good luck with your deathless thing.

Yeah luckily I didn't have to worry about anyone dying of thirst or anything because everyone was on the side that had everything and the blizzard man was to damaged to move....weird thing is it still didn't die after a while so I just left it alone getting beaten up....after I came back it was gone apparently it just disappeared ....since it doesn't show up on my unit list. At all.

On another note my fort is somewhat okay now with my single survivor of a tantrum spiral and lack of water/booze/*insert liquid here* and is currently digging a long shaft for a well.

Is there a limit to how many Z levels above water a well can be?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: October 17, 2010, 04:43:01 pm »

I'm starting take 3 on my megaproject now. This time, the Citadel of Sabres (nice random name!) has tasked the Tome of Ghosts (another nice name!) with building the mega-fortress of Dusklens (I picked this one).

We're two years into the project, and we've had three casualties. The first, one of my first miners, died in a cavein while removing scaffolding. The second two fell prey to my atom smasher. I had my atomsmasher right next to where I was digging, so there was a big 3 z-level pit on the near side of the device. The dwarves had just finished dumping their excess stone, so I instructed the lever to be pulled. Lever gets yanked, 50 frames pass and then... A cleaning-freak woodburner comes flying up out of the pit, racing to the garbage zone to get rid of the {two-legged rhino lizard remains} he's carrying.

*WHUMP*

Facepalm from me. Next time I'll know to make the zone inactive before pulling the lever. So let's reset the atomsmasher! The lever is pulled again, 50 frames pass. A soap maker comes hurtling onto the bridge, on the bottommost square. Uh-oh, I think. He's going to get flung. Nope. He didn't make it far enough onto the bridge -- instead he gets squished as the bridge suddenly contracts into the square he's in. Whoops again. Announcement: Spring has arrived! (saving)

Facepalm indeed.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: October 17, 2010, 04:50:28 pm »

Dug out a small "pool"(Underground channeled area) and filled it to about 3/7 for all the tiles, then sealed the floodgate.
I now have a public bath house.
EDIT:And, apparently losing an arm is merely a flesh wound.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 05:02:52 pm by GaxkangtheUnbound »
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 3842