Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124793 times)

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #6570 on: October 02, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »

The ranger is out of ammo after killing a kitten, a dog, and sending one farmer to the hospital. My marksmen just milled about in the flying copper bolts...milled because the jackasses didn't bring ammo. No need to conserve the bone bolts, soldiers.

No elves this year, so I guess my timber agreement is null -- let's pave the earth! I don't see what the hate on elves is about; they have a minor issue that's easy to accommodate considering I can buy their entire caravan with less than a bin of my finished goods. I'll buy it all up, not just the lumber, but every splinter of wood they have in stock. My carpenters don't have to chop their own trees, and even the training weapons become useful when combined with a mechanism and a 4-level cliff.

m1k3y4e7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: October 02, 2010, 12:36:27 pm »

just embarked next to a volcano, which is good, discovered llamas, giant eagles, and elephants in the vicinity. this should be interesting.

Note: last fortress destroyed by a trio of llamas that accidentally got released inside. they quickly ascended the kicker and dodger skill ranks, and none of my traps or soldiers could touch them. this is why llamas are noteworthy.
If I had a monkey, I would borrow my moms sewing machine and make my monkey a little monkey suit. Then if anyone said "Thats not a real monkey, it's just a monkey suit, I can see the zipper", I could say "I bet you fifty dollars it is a real monkey" and when they said "that seems like a reasonable bet, you are on", my monkey would take off the monkey suit and they would have to pay me fifty dollars.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: October 02, 2010, 01:22:42 pm »

One dwarf after another is dodging the Zombie/Skeletal Camels' kicks to the brain...into the ocean. At least three bloated corpses litter the oceanfloor already, and I just reached the first winter. Several dead dwarves and animals also lie before the drawbridge, having opted to run in circles rather than towards safety.

Also, I noticed that my plumbing is leaking. This is bad.

Edit: And this is just in - one idiot lye maker managed to fall down the well and drown in the reservoir. Hooray moron.

Get used to this. If Dwarves fight anywhere near water, they will straight into it in an attempt to dodge the enemy. This is very frustrating if the dwarves just happen to be your entire military in full adamantine armor. I've lost more soldiers to the ocean than enemies.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: October 02, 2010, 01:40:45 pm »

Get used to this. If Dwarves fight anywhere near water, they will straight into it in an attempt to dodge the enemy. This is very frustrating if the dwarves just happen to be your entire military in full adamantine armor. I've lost more soldiers to the ocean than enemies.

By fuck...that's a lot of dwarfbucks drowned there!

Anyways, I'm going fully underground. The surface is for zombies and migrants now, and the latter will probably stop coming soon.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Zarium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: October 02, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »

in d40 I embarked into a frozen region with a volcano..
 did you know volcanoes have snow caps over them?

on embark the cap collapsed into the volcano freezing my screen for several minutes..
when it finally unfrozen I got a giant splash of lava followed by a horde of angry lava creatures..
   Like I dropped the giant mass of snow in their hole? In the end the snowy landed scape was all cinders and dead bodies.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: October 02, 2010, 01:49:45 pm »

One dwarf after another is dodging the Zombie/Skeletal Camels' kicks to the brain...into the ocean. At least three bloated corpses litter the oceanfloor already, and I just reached the first winter. Several dead dwarves and animals also lie before the drawbridge, having opted to run in circles rather than towards safety.

You've got undead camels? Good luck. That's like my worst DF nightmare right there. Everyone here is always talking about elephants, but I've found camels to be dangerous enough, and highly aggressive. As for failing to running away... I think dorfs have a literal turn of mind and try to run circles around the enemy. Either that, or [T]hey're really really stupid.

edit: Fixed it for myself.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:51:48 pm by Beardless »
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: October 02, 2010, 01:50:48 pm »

Invaders were knotted together in front of a ballista just as it was loading, so I decided to let it fly. It took out three of their mounts, including the hammer lord's, and they scattered. I set all of my siege engines running, but they took off, siege broken. Too easy.

Not just yet. Before I even shut down civilian alert, another 'vile force of darkness' arrived. This time the War Leader, with an even bigger army. I see a grand total of 64 goblins with 16 mounts and 8 trolls. Among the goblins are 16 crossbowmen, 2 mace lords and a pikemaster (one of my soldiers could use a weapon like that.)

However, they're all in a corner of the map far away from my trail of death, so I'm at leisure to load it up with even more cheap weapons, and then put a grate over the gap separating them from us.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: October 02, 2010, 01:56:05 pm »

A few fortress-years ago, I created a pair of traps that would lure in gobbos with a bait animal, then drop them 4 z-levels onto glass spikes. Problem is, a few of them don't get injured all that badly. What that means is that there is a pair of Goblin Bowlords that have been in one trap. For 2 years. I wish they could starve already, my FPS is bad enough as it is xD

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: October 02, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

I wish they could starve already, my FPS is bad enough as it is xD

Hate to tell you this, but I believe they will never starve. Get started on Plan B!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: October 02, 2010, 02:51:28 pm »

Hate to tell you this, but I believe they will never starve. Get started on Plan B!

Magma!
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Moosey

• Bay Watcher
  • [moose brute extract]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: October 02, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

Sick of waiting for Gobbos to be fixed, I'm playing 31.12 again.  As a challenge, I'm to keep a fort safe from invasions without the use of automated traps.

I failed.

Now I'm trying to avoid going into the Tantrum Spiral.  I've made some very nice meeting rooms and put all the troublemakers in a jail.  A marksdwarf, in jail for murdering someone else in a tantrum, goes berserk.  Problem is, he's chained in place, and a bunch of other people are chained in place in his plain sight, and he's still got his crossbow and ammunition.

It's like a shooting gallery.  Spiral not averted.
Backs to the wheel
There's granite to shove

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: October 02, 2010, 03:13:27 pm »

Was gonna actually do something even more awesome.

Was gonna build a floor a few Z-levels higher than the pit that completely covers it, then drop it on them. It will destroy my Green Glass spikes, but those are just green glass spikes, so w/e.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #6582 on: October 02, 2010, 03:59:16 pm »

I am now getting well over a dozen goblin ambushes per season.  I wonder what I did exactly to piss them off so much.

The entire corridor and entrance of my fort is red with blood.  The traps jam constantly and most of my militia veterans have over thirty kills each.  The dwarves spent the last ten years just trying to clean the entrance up, but they can't keep up.  The bodies pile up more and more everytime.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: October 02, 2010, 04:14:37 pm »

Going on 7 years, with only 17 fatalities and an adult population of 103. All of my founding seven still live, though one is invalid. I've built them a smoothed and engraved tomb, the centerpiece of which is a stockpile of goblin, human and elven carcasses. If there was enough hematite, or any kaolinite, I could get it reworked in that bloodstain color it deserves.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: October 02, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »

Bauxite?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 3842